Autopsy Roast and toast vs Geelong and changes for West Coast

Best

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Minimal changes imo after that effort.

Out: Prestia, Clarke (rested)
In: Cotchin, Lambert

If Cotchin, Lambert dont get up then Stack and Cumbo next in line.
Different base positions I know but we are relatively flexible.

Selection committee will be tempted by Castagna, Aarts, Mansell.
Banks would be in if we didn't have adequate coverage on the wings.

Edwards not worth mentioning because Dimma still going to play him.

Think we'll persevere with Gibcus and Miller will have to wait.

Have I missed anyone?

I suggested we should have played Mansell on Stengle and gone the complete lockdown option (like with Kosi Pickett) and everyone said Rioli will get it done. Didn't happen. Stengle was pretty much involved in every Geelong goal it seemed. If we locked him down we could have halved their score (obviously Mansell wouldnt beat him every time but would have been handy and would have roughed him up).

Im not as big a fan of Stack as everyone else (he slips over every second play), but its time for him to come in and provide an 8 week spark for us to win out. If he struggles again its probably better to happen this week where it shouldn't cost us the game.

As for this week, I think its predictable that we wont play well coming off the Geelong game. If Nicnat is back we could get beaten badly around the ball if we are off, but surely we outrun them in transition and kick a big score.

Juddy probably needs a rest, but how good was if that he, MRJ and Hugo kicked big goals for us in the second half.

Will be a interesting game, West Coast playing a lot better than when we last met.

Still pretty confident we will win.
It's at the MCG and the pressure we apply will be dramatically better than the Bombers.

You'd expect Castanga comes in for Clarke
Not sure how both Cotchin & Lambert have come up but could both be INs.

To be honest I felt quite happy walking out of the G after the game. We pulled back a 6 goal deficit and turned it into a 3 goal lead early in the last qtr before running out of a bit of gas. There's hardly any other teams in the comp that can comeback against Geelong like that. Liked the games of Ross (he will make it if left in the guts), Kmac, Pickett (2nd half) Tarrant (2nd half) Bolton, Baker, Grimes, Vlaustin and a few others. Dusty is an interesting one. I feel he's Cleary lost a yard of pace, more obvious being live at the game then watching on tv but still he's so dangerous close to goal. I think the time has come to park him in the forward line permanently unless we need him in the middle for those break glass moments. The Cats were at full strength except for Dangerfield. We had Balta, Cotch, Lambo missing plus Meatball off for most of the game. With our youngsters in MRJ, Gibcus, Clarke, Ralphsmith, we need to be very careful to keep them fresh from burnout but play them as much as we possibly can. That's where blokes like Stack step up from the VFL to fill the breach. And I'll have one final comment on Shane Edwards. Get him to 300 games because at the end of the day he's a Richmond immortal and he will go out with that legacy of being an integral part of our dynasty in the club's history. Champion player but most importantly a champion bloke. Onwards and upwards. Go Tiges 🐯
😍

People say Geelong are too old and slow yet they run out games better than anyone. Overran us, the bulldogs and collingwood. By contrast we got overran by them sydney and stkilda. That's sadly going to be the difference between top 8 and top 4. At best we will finish 6th. Our inability to win close games and run out games has hurt us big time this season. We used to be a lot mentally tougher
They didn't overrun us. Richmond got sloppy when in front. The blue print to beat the handbaggers is rebound football and Richmond panicked when trying to gold a 17 point lead

Allowing play to go on while Prestia’s head was reattached was criminal. Those umps deserve as much time off as Stewart gets. We’ll never get that goal back that cost us a top 8 spot, and Prestia loses 2 weeks and maybe a couple years off his life. I think 6-8 weeks is fair for the lot of them.

I’d very much like to know what the club’s doing about the free kick differential too. What are we like -100, and three times worse than the next team?

Are we expected to believe that we’re that bad at tackling, that bad at disposing of the footy, and that undisciplined?

Do we really accept that every other team is that disciplined, but only against us?

Am I going to get my membership fees refunded by the AFL when their umps rob us of a top 4 or 8 spot?
Very balanced and accurate post this

They didn't overrun us. Richmond got sloppy when in front. The blue print to beat the handbaggers is rebound football and Richmond panicked when trying to gold a 17 point lead
they ran out of legs when marking them coming from there defensive zone. We can't play 4 quarters high intensity and that's that

Unfortunately I am starting to believe Richmond should put player welfare first. In sitting down with Lambert and making a decision. So hope we keep him on as an assistant beyond his playing career. Wouldn’t bring him in vs the eagles as we should win anyhow.

Agree, he’s an important player and I’d nurse him and use him strategically (much like Geelong did with Ottens) so he’s fit and ready to slot in for the Grand Final.
#gotiges 🖤

Clarke was awful and should have been dropped which goes back to the coaches not seeing this. Tarrant is a no future player with Sheds so why play them as they're accumulating losses for s which young kids at least would be benefiting experience. KDH has always been a moron and nothing has changed and will change unless he's supported with quality assistances.

Aren’t you contradicting yourself when you say drop young Clarke, then in the next sentence drop someone like Sheds so young kids benefit from experience?

I like that we’re instilling belief in out kids by giving them a consecutive string of games.

Agree that Dimma could use some quality assistant coaches, I’m sure the Club’s switched on to issues like this.

C
We were robbed hard for that Jack free, that needs to be investigated
Lunch and dekoning were holding each other and dekoning fell over so the campaigner umps gave him the free
as a neutral who hates Geelong, it’s a free kick especially when grimes got one a few minutes earlier at the other end.

Houli was one of the most respected clean skins in the game and was extremely remorseful after his hit.
Suspension was increased to six weeks on appeal.
Surely this is the benchmark for ‘nice guys’

Good point. A precedent was set when Bachar copped that 6 week suspension.

Edit. Yeah it was actually 4 weeks

Aren’t you contradicting yourself when you say drop young Clarke, then in the next sentence drop someone like Sheds so young kids benefit from experience?

I like that we’re instilling belief in out kids by giving them a consecutive string of games.

Agree that Dimma could use some quality assistant coaches, I’m sure the Club’s switched on to issues like this.
Not really as Clarke looked a long way away the previous week in the second half. Hindsight says Stack or Mansell could have played instead m. I like rotating and resting young guys. MRJ looks better after a freshen up.

Not really as Clarke looked a long way away the previous week in the second half. Hindsight says Stack or Mansell could have played instead m. I like rotating and resting young guys. MRJ looks better after a freshen up.
It's not actually freshening up when they play VFL. I would rather they stay in the more games the better this dropping bringing them back business is crap.

MRJ did look better, fresher played with a lot of confidence

Suspect it’s now only a matter of time before Stack plays.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MRJ did look better, fresher played with a lot of confidence

Suspect it’s now only a matter of time before Stack plays.

Would be flabbergasted if Stack is not in for Clarke. A tad dramatic perhaps but he deserved it last week much less this week.

Hugo to half back Baker midfield/anywhere we need him.
Mansell, unlucky second option, who was excellent in the VFL.

Cumberland surely deserves a crack up forward, for Prestia with Dusty to play more midfield, (who looked much better than he has all year on the weekend).

2 changes and a bit of magnet shifting.

If Balta is ready in for Soldo, might be next week.

Would be flabbergasted if Stack is not in for Clarke. A tad dramatic perhaps but he deserved it last week much less this week.

Hugo to half back Baker midfield/anywhere we need him.
Mansell, unlucky second option, who was excellent in the VFL.

Cumberland surely deserves a crack up forward, for Prestia with Dusty to play more midfield, (who looked much better than he has all year on the weekend).

2 changes and a bit of magnet shifting.

If Balta is ready in for Soldo, might be next week.
Hugo stays on the wing/ half forward he is a liability defensively when played in defence

Hugo stays on the wing/ half forward he is a liability defensively when played in defence
I think liability is a bit harsh, the same was said about Houli, Short and Rioli. Young players need to be backed in, well you back their stronger suits over their weaker. Hugo was great rebound and dash and can thump a long ball on the run at full tilt. His kicking over short distances is getting better as well. He also has what Houli, Short and Rioli don't have, a strong body. His defensive side will improve the more he joins the back 6 unit.

I think liability is a bit harsh, the same was said about Houli, Short and Rioli. Young players need to be backed in, well you back their stronger suits over their weaker. Hugo was great rebound and dash and can thump a long ball on the run at full tilt. His kicking over short distances is getting better as well. He also has what Houli, Short and Rioli don't have, a strong body. His defensive side will improve the more he joins the back 6 unit.
Maybe in a couple of years but still think he is best suited to the wing/half forward

Our back 6 are all but settled right now and have a good mix of defensive and offensive options

Grimes Taz Gibcus/Miller
Rioli Vlas Broad

The only change I can see coming against the weagles is:

Clarke out for either Cumberland, Stack or Castagna.

Edit: Prestia and Clarke out for either Cumberland, Stack, Castagna and Lambert if recovered

Last edited:
if both fit its perfect for shedda (sub) and lambert to be in our 23 v eagles....lambert plays his guts out for between 45-55 minutes and is subbed off and has a rest v gold coast and ready for R18 v north .....shedda has half a game v eagles and if goes alright can then be less taxed for the suns game.
Except that's not how the sub rule works.

The only change I can see coming against the weagles is:

Clarke out for either Cumberland, Stack or Castagna.
Prestia won’t play due to concussion protocols

Back