• 44: Sydney Stack

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Waca Jr

Premiership Player
Mar 6, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
It is a huge downgrade on Astbury. Astbury is one of the best marks in our team. Excellent reader of the player and sets up so well behind the ball. Garthwaite is a lockdown defender and based on what we've seen at AFL level, and we can only judge it from what we've seen - an average one at that. Garth is still young and developing but right now he's nowhere near ready to take on the elite forwards of the competition.
What I've seen from Garthwaite says no way he makes it. Mcbean mach 2.

Waca Jr

Premiership Player
Mar 6, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Geez do we actually want to play? Cotch giving reasons why we won’t go to hubs versus other teams that just say they are happy to go- if you are not wanting to have a crack then don’t give it to those that do
Look at how the eagles have taken to it. Can you blame him? Mickey mouse seasom with policy on the run.

NimFromSudan

Club Legend
Mar 14, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
Love how these campaigners lay 11 and 9 tackles in a scratch match but didn't want to break a nail against the Hawks. WTF is wrong with us this year.

They're too slow. Apart from our small forwards, most of our side are endurance athletes with slow reactions. Great in a wear-down game and great when the defence and midfield defence is structured to slow things down but they can't handle a zippy opposition game style.

mopsy

Premiership Player
Jan 1, 2005
Other Teams
RICHMOND
From the club website https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/...mary-v-saints?camefrom=EMCL_3309237_157097043

VFL and development coach Xavier Clarke provides a summary of how the Tigers’ players performed in Saturday's 16 v 16 scratch match against St Kilda.

Patrick Naish

"It was a very good game from Patrick, he played on the wing majority of the game and won a lot of the football. The pleasing thing was his defensive efforts, which is something he's been working on, but also he got rewarded with the ball. He's playing good football at the moment and was also rewarded with three goals."

Daniel Rioli

"I thought his work rate was really good. He worked hard, being 16 v 16, it forces you to, but we know that's when he's at his best, when he's working hard and running hard. He had a lot of the ball and it was great to see him being able to win possession, apply pressure and also kick two goals."

Ivan Soldo

"He was great. Some of his offensive stuff was really good and he provided a great contest in the ruck for us. He played forward at times and was also rewarded with two goals."

Mabior Chol

"He's up and about, he had a very good game. He worked really hard to get to the spots he had to, so that the ball could be kicked to him, or so he could outwork his opponent and beat them one-on-one, and was rewarded on the scoreboard. It was great to see him play another good game."

Riley Collier-Dawkins

"Still continuing to play well over the past couple of weeks. He's putting pressure on which is great, laying tackles and being able to win the ball around congestion. He was also rewarded with two goals so it was great to see him get on the scoreboard. He kicked the first goal of the game from around 50m out on the run which was fantastic for him."

Ryan Garthwaite

"He's been solid for us down back these past three weeks. He's hard to beat one-on-one and he prides himself on his contested efforts. He had nine spoils for the game which was absolutely huge. He really sets the scene for us defensively, he's in good form at the moment."

Derek Eggmolesse-Smith

"He had some really good patches throughout the game. His ability to win the ball and see the game and use it well is his biggest strength, and it was great to see him lay four tackles as well. He'll continue to work on his game and his areas that he needs to improve on but it was good to see him have a consistent game throughout the four quarters."

Oleg Markov

"Worked very hard throughout the game. He was open a lot but unfortunately didn't get used as much as he would have liked. But his work-rate and his speed are certainly his biggest strengths so he'll continue to play to his strengths in that space."

Jack Graham

"He was pretty good. We know his work rate and pressure are his biggest strengths and he had 11 tackles for the game which was phenomenal. He won a lot of the ball, it was great to see him come back and play in the midfield the whole game and show us how he plays his footy.

Jack Aarts

"He's in good form. His ability to get up and down the ground and work hard are his biggest strengths. He sees the game well and was also rewarded with two goals. He was the second carryover emergency so he only played three quarters for us."

Callum Coleman-Jones

"Continues to impress. We mixed him up in the ruck with Soldo and his ability to move around the ground for a big guy is really good, he can get forward and take marks. His ability to play as a forward and as a ruck is something that can work in his favour, he's in good form."

Marlion Pickett

"Played midfield the whole game and had a high impact around the ball. He had nine tackles which was pleasing. He played a pretty good game, he was able to get after the ball and be around contests, and he was also able to transition from contest to contest."

Ben Miller

"Continuing to play consistent footy which has been fantastic to watch. His defensive efforts and his one-on-one contests are what he's been working on the most and we've seen reward for that and the way he's been playing. He had four spoils for the game which was really good."

Fraser Turner

"It was one of the best all-round games I've seen Fraser play. He played at half-back for the whole game and was really good in his defensive efforts, which is something he's been working on. He was aggressive around the ball which was great, it was good to see him do the things he's been working on throughout the pre-season around his pressure and defensive actions and I thought he showed that really well."

Luke English

"Played a different role at half-back. He did really well, his ability to defend one-on-one was fantastic and his ability to play our system as well was really good. So, it was pleasing to see him go down back and have an impact outside of his usual role as an inside midfielder."

Hugo Ralphsmith

"Hugo's been playing at half-forward for most of the time but went back to the wing for this game. I thought he did really well, he's got a great running ability. He's got good speed and endurance and he sees the game fairly well, he's certainly not afraid to go for his marks. I liked the way he played the wing role, he got the ball, used it well and hit the scoreboard."
LOL the depth is just fantastic , fantastic that is.!!!!!!!!

mopsy

Premiership Player
Jan 1, 2005
Other Teams
RICHMOND
How can you judge a team based on a game you didn't watch?
First off i wasnt judging them on the game i didnt watch. I dont need to watch every game to understand the chronic weaknesses in our players and team failings.

i dont need to watch the game because one game wont magically fix said failings. When im commenting on a particular game i will let you know just to make it easy for you.

mopsy

Premiership Player
Jan 1, 2005
Other Teams
RICHMOND
Hmm once again it would not be hard to make half a dozen changes based solely on structure and the weaknesses we have within the team.

Without having seen the game and fmd let the rose coloureds carry on becuase i havent seen the saints game it seems to me the long term needs would lead to these sort of changes.

Also going by reports and previous and it seems continuing poor form this yr then fmd 6 changes should be a shoe in.

Any way with no Astbury who is over rated anyway and the continuing failure to address the departure of Rance then it really is a no brainer to try Garthwaite and Balta in the key defensive posts.

Its a no Brainer to bring in CC-J Who looks likely as a fwd as well as a ruckman instead of bringing back the hopeless dinosaur Soldo.

How many chances does McIntosh need he should have been delisted at the end of last yr or even traded out someone would have been silly enough to offer something for him.

Caddy fmd he is literally the claytons big name player we have, he is literally the big inside mid you have not being an inside mid i wonder new role they will come up with to justify this bloke.

Ah broady mister ordinary himself if only he could get a bit of ball for himself.

Higgins probably a bit harsh this week going by comments but another very over rated underperformer.
Baker well just too small but unlike others he at least has a crack.
Astbury injured if we had real depth he wouldnt be missed.
Have i missed anyone you bet ya that will do for this week.

Team id like to see addressing or trying to address shortcomings would go like this.

B/ Stack - Garthwaite - Grimes. persevere with Stack and Garthwaite for Astbury
HB/ Vlastuin - Balta - Houli. Balta to replace Rance yep we are still yet to do it. Would give Houli the arse as well god he is as soft as they come

C/ Naish - Cotchin - Lambert. Time to give Naish a go he can do no worse than those who have gone before.Lambert is very lucky.
R/ Nankervis - Martin - Prestia simply put easily our best onball trio.

HF/ Edwards - Lynch - Dow. time to give Dow a shot fwd with midfield rotations.
F/ Castagna - Riewoldt - RC-D. Indictement when Castagna is automatically picked. RC-D at what 193cm can Rotate fwd/mid with Dusty.

INT/ CC-J - Bolton - Pickett - Ross. CC-J the back up ruckman to Nankervis he could also spend a good amount of time fwd as a tall target.If Riewldt is having another howler he could take his spot on the field.
Ross can rotate with Cotchin ffs play this kid in his right spot.Bolton is clever quick and a midfielder he can rotate midfield/fwd with Lambert and Edwards.
Going by reports Pickett is a bit controversial but he gives us a 7th defender and can replace Stack down back if need be. Defense imo is picketts best role and adds to midfield rotations if we use him that way.

To me this is just plain common sense especially given the performances dished up by so many. Give em a bloody good shake up while addressing needs and the long term.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Hmm once again it would not be hard to make half a dozen changes based solely on structure and the weaknesses we have within the team.

Without having seen the game and fmd let the rose coloureds carry on becuase i havent seen the saints game it seems to me the long term needs would lead to these sort of changes.

Also going by reports and previous and it seems continuing poor form this yr then fmd 6 changes should be a shoe in.

Any way with no Astbury who is over rated anyway and the continuing failure to address the departure of Rance then it really is a no brainer to try Garthwaite and Balta in the key defensive posts.

Its a no Brainer to bring in CC-J Who looks likely as a fwd as well as a ruckman instead of bringing back the hopeless dinosaur Soldo.

How many chances does McIntosh need he should have been delisted at the end of last yr or even traded out someone would have been silly enough to offer something for him.

Caddy fmd he is literally the claytons big name player we have, he is literally the big inside mid you have not being an inside mid i wonder new role they will come up with to justify this bloke.

Ah broady mister ordinary himself if only he could get a bit of ball for himself.

Higgins probably a bit harsh this week going by comments but another very over rated underperformer.

Team id like to see addressing or trying to address shortcomings would go like this.

HB/ Vlastuin - Balta - Houli. Balta to replace Rance yep we are still yet to do it. Would give Houli the arse as well god he is as soft as they come

C/ Naish - Cotchin - Lambert. Time to give Naish a go he can do no worse than those who have gone before.Lambert is very lucky.

F/ Castagna - Riewoldt - RC-D. Indictement when Castagna is automatically picked. RC-D at what 193cm can Rotate fwd/mid with Dusty.

INT/ CC-J - Bolton - Pickett - Ross. CC-J the back up ruckman to Nankervis he could also spend a good amount of time fwd as a tall target.If Riewldt is having another howler he could take his spot on the field.
Ross can rotate with Cotchin ffs play this kid in his right spot.Bolton is clever quick and a midfielder he can rotate midfield/fwd with Lambert and Edwards.
Going by reports Pickett is a bit controversial but he gives us a 7th defender and can replace Stack down back if need be. Defense imo is picketts best role and adds to midfield rotations if we use him that way.

To me this is just plain common sense especially given the performances dished up by so many. Give em a bloody good shake up while addressing needs and the long term.
According to your ratings youd think we'd won 2 of the last 3 wooden spoons not premierships.

We are in awful form, but probably a victim of circumstance too.

TigerMoz1973

Club Legend
Jan 2, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I reckon the longer break suits the boys this week and they'll play much better against Melbourne.
Like last year they need to bank a couple of 50/50 wins under trying circumstances. I'll back this lot to get it together by seasons end to have a genuine crack at it.
Having said all that next year is our to win the flag.

Feb 25, 2007
FNQ
AFL Club
Richmond
Poor old Mopesy. People really underestimate how tough a task it was complaining endlessly about how utterly hopeless the side was through two premierships.

What enormous anticipation he felt on GF day in '17 & '19...

Sat down with his 5ltr bucket of extra strength salt and vinegar chips and 2ltr flagon of warmed through cooking sherry, just bursting at the seams to watch us fail miserably on the biggest stage of all. Had his broadsides against all and sundry pre-written - football journalism masterpieces that have never seen the light of day!

Once it was clear we were going to win comfortably in both, he smashed every TV and radio in the house and went into a deep depression.

Thank goodness he's had a bit of recent Richmond failure in his life to get him up and about again.

Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers

I'd have Naish in for Caddy, Balta for Dave, and Dow for Lambert. Stack is lucky to stay.

Sol23

Premiership Player
Jun 17, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond

I Actually agree with most of this mate. Time to give a few more players a chance and some the ass who have lived off the stars producing week after week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond

Couple of things. I'm Stacks biggest fan, but he was truly awful last week. He needs a run in the open paddocks where he can get some touch.

Happy to put Pickett in his place and let him settle into the tempo. In these 16 minute Q's, Cotchin, Prestia, Martin, Edwards are all getting high game time, so the players that have played through there like Pickett and Ross are getting very little time in the middle. (Ross was half back last week, but he is no hb due to not having a penetrating kick). So wouldn't mind Pickett to hb where he will be on the park a lot more. Ross back in the guts, maybe Martin who is still carrying ribs out of the middle for a bit.

Want RC-D also for that midfield grunt.

Other than that I agree with much of this. Dow in this week is a no brainer. Would go with Chol over CCJ because he is so athletic and Gawn will smash CCJ. At least Chol offers something different, mobility and form and at the moment a much better forward.

Asbury is not overrated and rarely gets goals kicked on him and is a fairly good mark. If anything he is under rated. Not a great attacking weapon but has been our best back with Vlastuin this year.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Couple of things. I'm Stacks biggest fan, but he was truly awful last week. He needs a run in the open paddocks where he can get some touch.
Yeh agreed. I think his potential is enormous, but after a couple of weeks where he has cost some goals through mistakes, he looks devoid of confidence. Having doubts can be an absolute killer for elite athletes. He needs to go back to the VFL where things will slow down for him, there is less pressure, and he can just play football. Once the confidence in his ability comes back and translates to form, he'll be playing much better football.

I also think he's worth trying in the middle/on the wing/ up forward. There's less pressure there and will do his confidence the world of good, because at least if he does make some mistakes it won't directly cost us goals, and that might ease things up for him.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeh agreed. I think his potential is enormous, but after a couple of weeks where he has cost some goals through mistakes, he looks devoid of confidence. Having doubts can be an absolute killer for elite athletes. He needs to go back to the VFL where things will slow down for him, there is less pressure, and he can just play football. Once the confidence in his ability comes back and translates to form, he'll be playing much better football.

I also think he's worth trying in the middle/on the wing/ up forward. There's less pressure there and will do his confidence the world of good, because at least if he does make some mistakes it won't directly cost us goals, and that might ease things up for him.
He played forward in the last half against the Saints, kicked a goal but looked not a patch on last year.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Poor old Mopesy. People really underestimate how tough a task it was complaining endlessly about how utterly hopeless the side was through two premierships.

Sat down with his 5ltr bucket of extra strength salt and vinegar chips and 2ltr flagon of warmed through cooking sherry, just bursting at the seams to watch us fail miserably on the biggest stage of all. Had his broadsides against all and sundry pre-written - football journalism masterpieces that have never seen the light of day!

Once it was clear we were going to win comfortably in both, he smashed every TV and radio in the house and went into a deep depression.

Thank goodness he's had a bit of recent Richmond failure in his life to get him up and about again.

Mopesy, 😂, I like that one.

You would be dead set scared to buy him a present at Christmas, there would be no possible chance he would be happy with it.....”I am just being honest, Sunseeker Yachts are way over-rated and if you really valued my friendship you would come up with something better than this crap."

He has even picked Houli in his own team then said Houli should be out of the team! So Mopesy even thinks Mopesy the selector is overrated. 😂😂

Feb 25, 2007
FNQ
AFL Club
Richmond
Mopesy, 😂, I like that one.

You would be dead set scared to buy him a present at Christmas, there would be no possible chance he would be happy with it.....”I am just being honest, Sunseeker Yachts are way over-rated and if you really valued my friendship you would come up with something better than this crap."

He has even picked Houli in his own team then said Houli should be out of the team! So Mopesy even thinks Mopesy the selector is overrated. 😂😂

LMAO

He'll be off for a few hours of brutal self-flagellation after that unforgiveable error...with an "fmd" through clenched teeth punctuating every stroke...

Not Important

never test the depth of water with both feet.
Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond

yep! poster of the year potential for mine.

Back