Autopsy Roast : Bevo’s stubborn match day selections and the loss to St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

From what I got from the press conference is that this team currently on the park isn’t the team Bevo envisions in the future.

This team needs a lot of work and we need to keep adding quality young players.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I thought that was the case after 2016? How long is it going to take?

Bit of perspective is needed. We had Hunter and Wood missing, two massive outs, both for reasons we know. Lloyd kicked horribly which is unlike him. English didn't get any help against who I believe are two very good ruckmen (bring Trengove in). Vandermeer was solid for a first gamer. Gowers had a stinker. JJ didn't look like he wanted to be out there. Our overall disposal was very poor. Confidence was lacking and drops off fast in the AFL. St Kilda were up and about and using the ball really well compared to us.

As far as selection goes, Dickson or Lloyd (Dicko is injured I think). English needs a chop out (Trengove). Cordy when fit is better than Gardner. Wood obvious. Hunter obvious.

I don't blame Bevo

Does JJ ever wanna be out there? His form post 2016 has been disgusting

Bit of perspective is needed. We had Hunter and Wood missing, two massive outs, both for reasons we know. Lloyd kicked horribly which is unlike him. English didn't get any help against who I believe are two very good ruckmen (bring Trengove in). Vandermeer was solid for a first gamer. Gowers had a stinker. JJ didn't look like he wanted to be out there. Our overall disposal was very poor. Confidence was lacking and drops off fast in the AFL. St Kilda were up and about and using the ball really well compared to us.

As far as selection goes, Dickson or Lloyd (Dicko is injured I think). English needs a chop out (Trengove). Cordy when fit is better than Gardner. Wood obvious. Hunter obvious.

I don't blame Bevo
I don’t think anyone is lacking perspective. It was a horror show and I haven’t seen too many comments on here that have been unwarranted.

You have to blame Bevo. Wood and Hunter being out should not be the end of the world. You are always going to have injuries and it’s rarely a valid excuse.

Bevo is proving himself to be a very difficult man. I’m reluctant to call him arrogant, but there doesn’t seem to be any other explanation.

The situation with Trengove is ridiculous. He would fill two of our biggest needs right now and Bevo still refuses to play him. He has the odd clanger in him but, dear god, what about Ryan Gardner.

English is not going to get any better while he is led to the slaughter every week. Trengove is a better ruckman and can go down back when required. It will also allow English to go forward and get some marks I50. What could Tim English possibly be enjoying about his footy right now? He must dread every game.

Jason Johannisen. Talented perhaps but stifled every week. Now you can get annoyed at JJ all you want but eventually it falls on Bevo to either drop him, or accept his limitations and do something about it. Why is it always the opposition dictating the match ups? JJ (and Bont) are largely tied up fighting some thug all game while the oppositions most talented players are given a free ride. We made Zak Jones look like Dangerfield yesterday. At any point did we try sending someone to him?

I can’t believe we waited 3 months for that!

Won’t be watching that one again. I hope we're better for the run and that those who didn't get to play see it as an opportunity to get selected for Friday!

I think three things let us down in the game.

1) Our game plan requires a high degree of skill that we couldn’t execute due to lack of practice

Our game style has had the most success with fast, accurate handballs to get us out of trouble and find space in tight quarters. We had many more errant handballs and were generally less accurate last night than we were succeeding late in the season last year.

Our players were too far out of position to defend the fast entry once the errant handball and inevitable turnover occurred.

This might also explain why we typically start seasons poorly but improve as we get practice over the season.

2) Too much inexperience with AFL pressure and WB’s systems snowballed into mistakes

Whether this was underestimating the new style Saints, or keeping a reserve for the game against the Giants on Friday, we played too many players with limited exposure to AFL level pressure and Bulldog’s systems. This turned into demoralising mistakes that we were punished severely for, and compounded into more mistakes as desperation rose.

Our systems especially rely on good discipline and an even contribution to function effectively, a trait not often shared by panicked players.

3) Midfield out of practice at clearances against experienced ruckmen, ruckmen inexperienced

Our midfield’s ability to win clearances, either off of our own ruck or the opposition’s ruck was extremely poor. The practice they’ve had recently is primarily against English and Sweet (yet to debut) who are both young and somewhat inexperienced ruckmen. This used to be a strength of ours. Hopefully our midfield will sort this out with some more games under their belt!

Compounding this our ruckmen, English and Sweet, are essentially training against each other leading them to get trounced by genuinely experienced opposition. I really wish we had someone experienced in the first ruck role that they could defer to and learn from. I feel like sending him to get smashed each week is not giving him the best chance to succeed.

I hope we go in more experienced on Friday against the Giants. I think Trengove would be a good addition presuming he's fit and good to go.

Go Dogs.
Good post.

I'd also add that perhaps other teams have worked out how to negate our game plan and we haven't got our heads around a plan b. There were similarities in both the Collingwood and St Kilda losses - pressure causing turnovers at half forward resulting in us conceding rebound goals.

Anyone else worried we're becoming too reliant on Bonti to turn it on to get a win?
Bonti, Macrae, Dunk, Lippy, Smith is a big strong midfield that should be ripping other midfields to shreds. Not sure why they haven't clicked for last 3 games though. Need Clay Smith and Picken to come give them a pep talk.

I've had just had a horrible thought, perhaps, just perhaps, the Coach is the wrong choice post Premiership. Perhaps his niche is adding togetherness to another coach's vision. Get a McCartney to build a list of Win your Own Ball warriors then turn them over to Beveridge to add the Romance.

Super disappointing result... Two main issues at the moment and that is our contested ball and our transition defense.

Both can be fixed.

Lewis young or trengove need to come in its blatantly obvious we lack a bit of organisation without Wood which is why I would lean towards Trengove. Contested ball is an effort/stoppage setup adjustment which we can get back on track by some adjustments.

I don't think its all doom and gloom like everyone is saying we just lack a bit of cohesion at the moment with our attack and getting killed on the rebound.

The transition defence starts from the forward line having dale gowers Wallis and Lloyd along side naughton and Bruce it’s a very one paced forward line and 3 of those players have no defensive instincts. We need to add a weightman or a west into that mix, IMO weightman more so as he had better goal sense. Without speed and defensive work rate in the forward half the ball moves too quickly without pressure and our zoning defenders get caught out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone else worried we're becoming too reliant on Bonti to turn it on to get a win?

More midfield reliant than reliant on a individual mid, because we don’t take our chances going forward, with lots of missed shots on goal and we have a poor backline we need a dominant midfield performance and dominant field position due to the midfield to be in the game

It isn't "Bonti", it's "Bont", if he's had a good game, "The Bont". It isn't "Dunk", it's "Dunks". He'd have to win a Brownlow to be promoted to "The Dunk". Smith is a work in progress, though, he's good enough to be "Smithy" isn't he ? "Macrae" is OK, though. He's not a "Macca". Patrick Lipinski is a real challenge. "Lippy" isn't quite right. "Lips" is better. If he gets good enough, he might eventually become "The Lip"

It isn't "Bonti", it's "Bont", if he's had a good game, "The Bont". It isn't "Dunk", it's "Dunks". He'd have to win a Brownlow to be promoted to "The Dunk". Smith is a work in progress, though, he's good enough to be "Smithy" isn't he ? "Macrae" is OK, though. He's not a "Macca". Patrick Lipinski is a real challenge. "Lippy" isn't quite right. "Lips" is better. If he gets good enough, he might eventually become "The Lip"

Smith seems to be Baz. Macrae's been Jacko on occasion I think.

Also, in the video where Sweet was announced to play preseason, I'm pretty sure Bevo called him "Sweetheart". There was a video of the 2018 draftees discussing their nicknames, and West said his was "Scotty".

' Baz' and 'Jacko' are unAustralian. Those diminutives break the first Commandment. Thou shalt not address a bloke by his first name when he has a surname that easily accepts the suffixes 'o' or 'ie' or the prefix 'The'.

Also, in the video where Sweet was announced to play preseason, I'm pretty sure Bevo called him "Sweetheart". There was a video of the 2018 draftees discussing their nicknames, and West said his was "Scotty".

Beveridge is the beneficiary of the 'o' suffix tradition. Shame on him for not honouring it for others. Sweet should never be 'Sweetheart' thats the name of a ...oops, careful. "Sweetie" isn't quite right for a Ruckman but better than Sweetheart. West is a real worry, though. What's wrong with 'Westie' ? Adding the 'ie' or 'y' to your father's first name ? I'd be 'Ernestie'.

Beveridge is the beneficiary of the 'o' suffix tradition. Shame on him for not honouring it for others. Sweet should never be 'Sweetheart' thats the name of a ...oops, careful. "Sweetie" isn't quite right for a Ruckman but better than Sweetheart. West is a real worry, though. What's wrong with 'Westie' ? Adding the 'ie' or 'y' to your father's first name ? I'd be 'Ernestie'.

In fairness, "sweetheart" was pronounced more like "sweedart". Westy will continue to be Westy to me.

In fairness, "sweetheart" was pronounced more like "sweedart". Westy will continue to be Westy to me.
That sounds like you are critical of Bevo's Mentone accent. Young West can wear the 'Westy/Westie name with pride. He'll have been called that well before he joined the Club.

Does JJ ever wanna be out there? His form post 2016 has been disgusting

He has had down patches but hardly disgusting, he came 4th in best and fairest last year

That sounds like you are critical of Bevo's Mentone accent. Young West can wear the 'Westy/Westie name with pride. He'll have been called that well before he joined the Club.

Nah, his pronunciation is what made Sweetheart an acceptable-sounding nicknames.

I never got a fun nickname. Girls never did the surname-nicknames.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back