Autopsy Roast : Bevo’s stubborn match day selections and the loss to St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Bev said that Gardner is a very good kick. He must leave it on the training track. His total kicks in his short career so far tallies 16. At least 4 of them went down the throat of opposition players, and 2 of them went down the throat of Harry Suck sitting in row 5.
I absolutely hated that quote from Beveridge. Just because he can hit targets under minimal pressure at training doesn’t mean he is a good kick. Surely he’s smart enough to realise that a good kick is determined by how they perform under significant AFL pressure.

I absolutely hated that quote from Beveridge. Just because he can hit targets under minimal pressure at training doesn’t mean he is a good kick. Surely he’s smart enough to realise that a good kick is determined by how they perform under significant AFL pressure.

His field kicking is absolutely putrid lol. Should say enough about the fella. Cordy or Trengove must replace him this week or Cameron will kick 8+

There was a good article in The Age talking about selection, particularly Gardner, and the team being “in flucs” and “two steps backwards for one step forward”.

along the lines of when you have made the finals last year, recruited senior players to the club and looked poised for top 4 this year, is now really the time to experiment with the team rather than going for the win.

disappointed to hear we were the 2nd youngest team on the weekend. How can this be the case 4 years after winning a flag with one of the youngest teams ever. It’s been the case virtually every week for the last three years. Keep trying to tinker with everything and we run a real risk of wasting the prime of Bontempelli’s career.

Yes there have, but that is setting the bar pretty low. We are entitled to expect more now. Especially after 2016.

I'm pretty shattered with our lack of competitiveness, cohesion and spirit right now.

I just can't imagine this sort of full speed in reverse happening at clubs like Hawthorn or Collingwood. So why should we accept it?

We are entitled to some answers. I hope we get some honesty from the club this week.
Well, you guys/girls have every right to tell me to **ck off and mind my own business but it all seems strange to me.

I certainly can’t think of another coach who chose to rebuild after a premiership rather than chase another flag.

And, if you start to rebuild a strong list and four years later you’re struggling and your lineup is unsettled it just seems weird to me.

The club shut its own premiership window, and to me, the decision is puzzling. I only intrude here with this because I’ve always liked the club and I’m a bit dismayed.

Well, you guys/girls have every right to tell me to **ck off and mind my own business but it all seems strange to me.

I certainly can’t think of another coach who chose to rebuild after a premiership rather than chase another flag.

And, if you start to rebuild a strong list and four years later you’re struggling and your lineup is unsettled it just seems weird to me.

The club shut its own premiership window, and to me, the decision is puzzling. I only intrude here with this because I’ve always liked the club and I’m a bit dismayed.

2017 was another attempt for a flag that showed we didn't have it in us to repeat it. Hamling was already gone, Matty Boyd needed to be replaced, Stringer imploded, Clay Smith fell apart, Roughead slowed down, JJ was found out and then Libba, Dahlhaus and Biggs had massive form drops. Too many holes to be filled by just trading especially with Tom Boyd and Picken with early retirements the year after. Needed to be done, probably shouldn't be taking this long.

Listen 42nd cousin Maurice, can you adopt a new name if you post on this Board ? They think that all Mitchells support the 'Dogs.

Fair comment.

There have been a few unfortunate things happen (Hamling, T Boyd, Picken, C Smith) and a few weird things as well (Stringer, Dahlhaus, Roughead) but in general I'd say most of us here are just perplexed.

Some of us getting just a bit impatient too.

2017 was another attempt for a flag that showed we didn't have it in us to repeat it. Hamling was already gone, Matty Boyd needed to be replaced, Stringer imploded, Clay Smith fell apart, Roughead slowed down, JJ was found out and then Libba, Dahlhaus and Biggs had massive form drops. Too many holes to be filled by just trading especially with Tom Boyd and Picken with early retirements the year after. Needed to be done, probably shouldn't be taking this long.
Was Libba injured in 2017? Seems he hasn't played much since 2016

He came back unfit in 2017, Beveridge tried to make an example of him by dropping him a couple of times so he didn't play every match. 2018 preseason he was apparently in ripper form and did his knee immediately in the first game.

Missed 1 game with a corkie in 2017. (Played a few VFL games but mostly seniors) 18 games
Played 15 minutes of Rd 1 then missed the rest of the season in 2018. (Knee) 1 game
Missed 8 games with knee problems in 2019. 15 games.

Missed 1 game with a corkie in 2017. (Played a few VFL games but mostly seniors) 18 games
Played 15 minutes of Rd 1 then missed the rest of the season in 2018. (Knee) 1 game
Missed 8 games with knee problems in 2019. 15 games.
ok can I edit that bit about not playing many games?

Don’t worry about Ugle-Hagan, he might not turn out to be the next Buddy like they’re touting him to be. The way the coaching is going, they might even ruin him by playing him in the ruck or out of position like they’ve done with so many others!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually think it was a quick reaction to a question with the intent to protect his player

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Don’t worry about Ugle-Hagan, he might not turn out to be the next Buddy like they’re touting him to be. The way the coaching is going, they might even ruin him by playing him in the ruck or out of position like they’ve done with so many others!
He doesn't play anything like Buddy anyway.
TBH if I had to pick any player in the competition to compare style wise, I'd say Naughton. Quick, high workrate, elite marking.

TBH if I had to pick any player in the competition to compare style wise, I'd say Naughton. Quick, high workrate, elite marking.
His ability to mark on the lead with outstretched arms and his left foot kicking reminds me a lot of Josh Kennedy. The Buddy comparisons are completely unfair. There will only ever be one buddy. His kicking is a million times better. But you can’t deny that his leaping and contested marking is something Buddy has never had. I also think that Jamarra is a lot less physical than Naughton. But is a much better forward in terms of craft and goal Sense. He’s a lot more skilled. Naughton is a competitive beast who’s unbelievable at leaping at the footy.

Last edited:
Does JJ ever wanna be out there? His form post 2016 has been disgusting

If I were Bevo I'd have JJ doing some MMA, getting whacked about a bit, the odd cauliflower ear, just to let him know that pain is temporary and not to worry about body contact or being roughed up.

Why would you need two Naughton's ;)

Last edited:
Team is being selected today, according to the latest presser.
He specifically mentioned potentially exploring bringing in Sweet or Trengove to help out English. Not a guarantee, but it's promising.

Also sounded like Cordy, McLean and Libba all in with a serious chance. Let's hope

Why would you need to Naughton's ;)
I know a few were unhappy with Naughton's game on the weekend, but I was happy with him. He had the highest workrate compared to anyone in our forwardline from what I could see, and he chases his opponent on the turnover. Given our shitful midfield supply I'm not sure there's much more he could do.

He specifically mentioned potentially exploring bringing in Sweet or Trengove to help out English. Not a guarantee, but it's promising.

Also sounded like Cordy, McLean and Libba all in with a serious chance. Let's hope
If I was a betting man, I'd put the house on Cordy coming back into the side. He has some real mongrel to him and we sorely lack that.

If I was a betting man, I'd put the house on Cordy coming back into the side. He has some real mongrel to him and we sorely lack that.
Sounded like he came back a little unfit so was dropped in response. Hopefully it's lesson learned and straight back in because it frees up Keath to actually intercept.

I know a few were unhappy with Naughton's game on the weekend, but I was happy with him. He had the highest workrate compared to anyone in our forwardline from what I could see, and he chases his opponent on the turnover. Given our shitful midfield supply I'm not sure there's much more he could do.

I'm not worried about him at the moment, terrible pre-season and he's probably no where near 100%

Cal Ward's ear will be ringing already

Remove this Banner Ad

Back