Autopsy Roast : Bevo’s stubborn match day selections and the loss to St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

The premiership coach defended a number of his selections on Wednesday, saying he was simply rewarding training form in the first match back following the AFL shutdown.

"I know there’s conjecture about selection but you’ve got to understand the timing between round one and two, there’s a lot that has happened," Beveridge told reporters on Wednesday.

"The boys have been away from the club, come back and we’ve decided to reward training form. We played some match practice in the lead-up to the round two game.

Gardner must have a body double for training.

Braybrook Son

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He doesn't play anything like Buddy anyway.
TBH if I had to pick any player in the competition to compare style wise, I'd say Naughton. Quick, high workrate, elite marking.
Hasn’t got the guns like Naughton though!

Gardner must have a body double for training.
He's an excellent trainer from all accounts, but he's also in the Brodie Moles category of getting super-nervous at the highest level (Moles vomited before every game due to nerves).

He's an excellent trainer from all accounts, but he's also in the Brodie Moles category of getting super-nervous at the highest level (Moles vomited before every game due to nerves).
Moles... had other problems, didn’t he?

Bulldoge

Debutant
Sep 15, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
That's what it looks like to me - major nerves and a fear of making mistakes. You can't go out there with that mindset

Apr 8, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
His ability to mark on the lead with outstretched arms and his left foot kicking reminds me a lot of Josh Kennedy. The Buddy comparisons are completely unfair. There will only ever be one buddy. His kicking is a million times better. But you can’t deny that his leaping and contested marking is something Buddy has never had. I also think that Jamarra is a lot less physical than Naughton. But is a much better forward in terms of craft and goal Sense. He’s a lot more skilled. Naughton is a competitive beast who’s unbelievable at leaping at the footy.
Who's kicking is a million times better? Buddy is one of the best field kicks in the game.

So did Glen Archer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AJARWA

All Australian
Mar 2, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not sure what you’ve read that would suggest I’m defending his selection. It is frustrating when people focus on the red herring but I’m not defending his selection.

You just had to scroll down further from where you cut and paste my comment to see what my opinion is.

To elaborate...Should he have played? No, I wouldn’t have picked him and he’d be out of the side this week to if it was up to me. But I don’t believe his selection or performance contributed to the loss anywhere near as much as other factors, these are also in my original post and a few others.

There were so many glaring issues with our game on Sunday, I’m surprised that Gardner was one of the main contributors in your eyes. Players lacked interest at times, there was no effort in defensive running for large parts of the game, mids lacked cohesion at times, skill execution was woeful at times when turnovers were going to be costly (particularly when we weren’t willing to put the effort in to our defensive running), too many of our fwds dropped their bundle after 10min in to the game. Do these things not concern you?

Like I said, Gardiners selection and performance comes a long way behind these things. If we fix some of those things, we’re a chance next week, regardless of whether Gardiner plays or not. But if that stuff happens again, Gardiner could be playing twos and we’ll still be flogged by GWS.

Not sure who comes in to replace him. Probably one of Trenners or Cordy. GWS have some decent sized fwds so all three might play. Who knows. Bit tricky to predict at the moment as no one has the chance to knock down the selection room door and none of us are privy to what condition certain players are in.
What I said was one of "many" contributing factors, not one of the main factors. Otherwise I tend to agree with much of what you've said. We'll see soon enough if the coaches have been able to address some of these issues and how the team responds. Going to be an interesting game.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Well, you guys/girls have every right to tell me to **ck off and mind my own business but it all seems strange to me.

I certainly can’t think of another coach who chose to rebuild after a premiership rather than chase another flag.

And, if you start to rebuild a strong list and four years later you’re struggling and your lineup is unsettled it just seems weird to me.

The club shut its own premiership window, and to me, the decision is puzzling. I only intrude here with this because I’ve always liked the club and I’m a bit dismayed.

absolutely correct mate and don’t worry there are several of us saying the same thing but some just need to make excuses

we show ourselves in the ass and ruined any chance of pinching another flag The following years.

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Well, you guys/girls have every right to tell me to **ck off and mind my own business but it all seems strange to me.

I certainly can’t think of another coach who chose to rebuild after a premiership rather than chase another flag.

And, if you start to rebuild a strong list and four years later you’re struggling and your lineup is unsettled it just seems weird to me.

The club shut its own premiership window, and to me, the decision is puzzling. I only intrude here with this because I’ve always liked the club and I’m a bit dismayed.
We began the "rebuild" after a s**t 2017, not after a great 2016.

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
And yet had the same Points For both years, I would explain it, but I already have on another thread.
And we conceded 300 more points. Anyone call pull out one random stat. Points for isn't the metric by which good seasons are measured. Wins are what matters.

I'm not engaging in the Bev discussion, been done to death and I've given my thoughts in the many multiple threads on the topic that preceded this one.

Just saying, we didnt enter a "rebuild" after winning 2016.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
And we conceded 300 more points. Anyone call pull out one random stat. Points for isn't the metric by which good seasons are measured. Wins are what matters.

I'm not engaging in the Bev discussion, been done to death and I've given my thoughts in the many multiple threads on the topic that preceded this one.

I agree the decline of Stringer and Dickson our natural forwards, 2015: 106 Goals, 2016: 82 Goals, 2017: 35 Goals that's a 71
Goal drop off, masked by playing mids as forwards dropping from 6th to 16th in clearances and conceding more when coupled
with the death of third man up in the ruck. Lots of contributing factors, but we were better placed in 2015 just without the
continuity of defence that came in 2016.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Anyone saying we needed to rebuild one of the youngest premiership teams in history is simply an excuse and not the reality

Remove this Banner Ad

Back