Status
Not open for further replies.

lumpinee

MK ULTRA
Jul 18, 2019
across the park from commission flats
AFL Club
Richmond
Cant play him in VFL at the moment to build him up to it.

Need out best team out there as this is a huge game given Weagles place on ladder.

Dont want to experiment too much on Friday night. We want tried and tested.

Would love to see him get a game soon though as Im also keen to see him in action also.
meh, they're just another pack of bare bums in the shower,got rolled by the druggies 2 games ago

Reckon our chaos game plan has had tweak or two we appear more patient across HB and seek to transition more often than simply a manic go forward , taking more marks now i50 that means more shots

Absolutely, we've flipped to employing a methodical possession/marking game plan much longer over the last two weeks and I expect we'll see it regularly over the next couple of months in the build-up to finals.

We changed as soon as the extra tall came in and tactically, IMO it's a reflection of the fact that a) we have less overall run and more marking power b) the less our vets are doing repeat manic running at this end of the season the better.

The nuffies in the media should have picked up on how seamlessly we changed game plan and how that is the mark of a champion side.

I guess the above makes for poor clickbait, too much resemblance to thoughtful, reasoned journalism. ;)

Agree. The kick / mark style stands out like dogs knackers because we haven't played that way for years.

In 2017 to 2020, we had less marks per game than our oppo, every year. Negative on differential by around 10, all years. Our rankings on differential go 12th, 17th, 15th and 14th. We just didn't play that kick / mark, outside way.

Then that Sydney spanking in Rnd 3, we were minus 47 on uncontested marks. I reckon something shifted around then, and has been slowly slowly building. We were plus 27 in the win against the Dogs - not like us.

Then minus 52 in the Geelong loss. Geelong are ranked #1 for differential on marks. It's how they roll, and they got the game on their terms.

Brisbane are #2 for differential on marks. We had minus 4 on uncontested marks against them. Pretty different to the Cats game, despite Brisbane wanting to play that way almost as much as the Cats. Probably fair to say that Brisbane had control of that game to the same extent as Geelong. I'm not sure how much was us shutting down their targets, and how much was us using our targets, or some combination.

It was stark during the Crows game, huh. We had 93 more uncontested marks. 93 is a big number!

I really enjoyed the chaos style, so I hope it isn't gone. On the positive side, chipping the ball around might be a way to make better use of our small forwards. Get them more involved. Their all quick enough to get out into space, and all decent in the air. Georgie had game-high marks this week.

Schlurp

Club Legend
Aug 21, 2009
Canberra
AFL Club
Richmond
It seems like Parish has his own little congregation
To be fair to Parish, I've never seen anyone more reluctant to acknowledge his award or less happy to step up to accept it. Players know how well they've played and who actually deserves these things. He seems like a decent bloke and should never have been put in this position.

Feb 25, 2007
FNQ
AFL Club
Richmond
Agree. The kick / mark style stands out like dogs knackers because we haven't played that way for years.

In 2017 to 2020, we had less marks per game than our oppo, every year. Negative on differential by around 10, all years. Our rankings on differential go 12th, 17th, 15th and 14th. We just didn't play that kick / mark, outside way.

Then that Sydney spanking in Rnd 3, we were minus 47 on uncontested marks. I reckon something shifted around then, and has been slowly slowly building. We were plus 27 in the win against the Dogs - not like us.

Then minus 52 in the Geelong loss. Geelong are ranked #1 for differential on marks. It's how they roll, and they got the game on their terms.

Brisbane are #2 for differential on marks. We had minus 4 on uncontested marks against them. Pretty different to the Cats game, despite Brisbane wanting to play that way almost as much as the Cats. Probably fair to say that Brisbane had control of that game to the same extent as Geelong. I'm not sure how much was us shutting down their targets, and how much was us using our targets, or some combination.

It was stark during the Crows game, huh. We had 93 more uncontested marks. 93 is a big number!

I really enjoyed the chaos style, so I hope it isn't gone. On the positive side, chipping the ball around might be a way to make better use of our small forwards. Get them more involved. Their all quick enough to get out into space, and all decent in the air. Georgie had game-high marks this week.

Yeah, I reckon we learned a lot from the Sydney game (along with the umpires getting a memo about all the <15m passes! ;)), the adjustment in style really does date back to not long after that, it's just been harder to spot with us losing clearances by such a margin and having comparitively little time in control of the play compared to the last fortnight.

We definitely deliberately went in with the tactic of playing the marking style of football against the Dogs. Their game plan has been largely built around that 'ground ball', chain of handballs focus very similar to ours in past seasons - easy to see why when you look at the quality and effectiveness of their talls in recent years compared to their clearance and running capacity. We match up much better against them when we use our superior field kicking and 1:1 aerial contested work more than trying to beat them head to head at ground level. Better to try and expose a side's weaknesses than set out to beat them at their biggest strength if you're capable of doing so.

As you say, Geelong and Brisbane we just didn't control the play enough losing so badly in the midfield. The Brisbane game especially (having seen it live and the replay a couple of times) we shot both feet off by not only losing clearances by a wide margin, but also turning over the ones we did get in a manner that just set them right up. Martin and Pickett alone had something like 25 turnovers between them for the game, many were direct clearances or corridor ball movement and it really killed our 2nd half.

I enjoy the chaos brand of footy too, it's hard to counter, tough to predict and really mentally wears the opposition down. I'll be very interested to see how we set up against the Eagles, the chaos style is one they're very vulnerable to, whereas the kick/mark style is their bread and butter (and really their only effective style). I suspect we'll be trying to outrun them with a faster style of play this week, be fascinating to see how we adjust.

Yeah, I reckon we learned a lot from the Sydney game (along with the umpires getting a memo about all the <15m passes! ;)), the adjustment in style really does date back to not long after that, it's just been harder to spot with us losing clearances by such a margin and having comparitively little time in control of the play compared to the last fortnight.

We definitely deliberately went in with the tactic of playing the marking style of football against the Dogs. Their game plan has been largely built around that 'ground ball', chain of handballs focus very similar to ours in past seasons - easy to see why when you look at the quality and effectiveness of their talls in recent years compared to their clearance and running capacity. We match up much better against them when we use our superior field kicking and 1:1 aerial contested work more than trying to beat them head to head at ground level. Better to try and expose a side's weaknesses than set out to beat them at their biggest strength if you're capable of doing so.

As you say, Geelong and Brisbane we just didn't control the play enough losing so badly in the midfield. The Brisbane game especially (having seen it live and the replay a couple of times) we shot both feet off by not only losing clearances by a wide margin, but also turning over the ones we did get in a manner that just set them right up. Martin and Pickett alone had something like 25 turnovers between them for the game, many were direct clearances or corridor ball movement and it really killed our 2nd half.

I enjoy the chaos brand of footy too, it's hard to counter, tough to predict and really mentally wears the opposition down. I'll be very interested to see how we set up against the Eagles, the chaos style is one they're very vulnerable to, whereas the kick/mark style is their bread and butter (and really their only effective style). I suspect we'll be trying to outrun them with a faster style of play this week, be fascinating to see how we adjust.

Good post. Especially your insight from the Brisbane game. The lack of corridor use lately had me worried, and it might come back to a bit of being gun-shy from the turnovers in that game. There was a little more centre square action this week.

The Eagles are an interesting challenge for us. They've been doing something different to the rest of the comp with their height and marking game for a long time. Fire and ice with the chaos. I would have liked to see more games against them during the last few seasons.

Feb 25, 2007
FNQ
AFL Club
Richmond
Good post. Especially your insight from the Brisbane game. The lack of corridor use lately had me worried, and it might come back to a bit of being gun-shy from the turnovers in that game. There was a little more centre square action this week.

The Eagles are an interesting challenge for us. They've been doing something different to the rest of the comp with their height and marking game for a long time. Fire and ice with the chaos. I would have liked to see more games against them during the last few seasons.

Yeah, I'd have loved to see the two styles clash more often too, would have been great to have double fixtures against them in recent years.

I think you could easily make the argument that their style is more conducive to playing so much on Optus and therefore qualifying for finals rather than winning them. Having said that, their midfield injuries have crippled their seasons since and they'd slanted their list heavily to the current window.

The GF which should have happened between us and them in '18 would have been great for football.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeah, I'd have loved to see the two styles clash more often too, would have been great to have double fixtures against them in recent years.

I think you could easily make the argument that their style is more conducive to playing so much on Optus and therefore qualifying for finals rather than winning them. Having said that, their midfield injuries have crippled their seasons since and they'd slanted their list heavily to the current window.

The GF which should have happened between us and them in '18 would have been great for football.
It still turned out to be good for football.
How much better can you get that Lollingwood getting out to an early lead only to lose late to a cracker set shot from the boundary.

AstuteTiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
The Essendrugs salt is continuing into another day. How anyone can somehow work out that the 7 goals we piled in that 11 minute period were "umpire assisted", needs to get off the Jab Watson gear. I watched the last twice, and the only goals affected by any umpiring, were the two awarded to Essendon. The 100m "Off the ball" for a tummy touch on Parish (softest free of the year), resulted in a shot on goal (Hooker) and the other one was on the wing, when the ump missed a free for holding to Pickett, and then it was thrown out by Drugs player, with advantage after Tigers stopped. I think that was Tigers player bumping into a Drugs player. All 7 of our goals had zero influence, other than the milked free against Jack, and Rioli being legged in the square. Of course, Karen Cornes has no memory of that. He also has no memory of the throw from Hind that ended up being a goal to "The $2 Shop Padded Showbag", and the Laverde shove in Caddy's back.

But lets just concentrate on the one legit free missed. You could have picked DOZENS from our games this year where we were slaughtered by umps...

Chol was superb, but needs consistency, CCJ needs to play more than just one quarter a game, but when he strings together 2 or 3 quarters, he will kick multiple goals. Edwards was sublime in creating at least 3 goals - but gets stuff all votes ? Bolton, Prestia, Dusty and Balta were all excellent, and the Drugs supporters blew a head gasket as our FB kicked one of the 7 goals. Graham has reached another level.. Brilliant game.

Parish was excellent, but had no help and could not be the matchwinner that Dusty was. Clearly, Parish was BOG. Their kids are going to be good. I noticed Tippa once in the game, and "The $2 Shop Padded Showbag" lived up to his name with a seagull goal.

Media and oppo supporters have gone NUTS because they know we are getting our players back and it looks like ANOTHER case of Deja Vu. Sook all you like, it is so sweet listening to the complainers and whingers out there, led by Karen Cornes... As for the game been "closer than the scoreboard" - Horsecrap, the scoreboard flattered Essendon, and you clowns are starting to sound more like Collingwood supporters by the day.

They are quite a special lot at drugoland.

They received 3 goals by umpires, Richmond 1 to CCJ.
The spud Hooker received 2 goals by the umpires, don't think EssenDRUGs supporters were complaining about those.

That soft as butter tap by Dusty on Parish was a joke of a free, the spud hooker goaled from that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back