Autopsy Roast & Toast R16 vs Gold Coast & Changes for R17 vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh boy. Well, we’ve seen a body of work this year that has been absolute dog s**t.

We’ve had spasmodic moments, such as the half against the dogs and the final 15 minutes against Essendon, but by and large our season has been one amorphous blob of bullshit.

I’ll start by looking at the evolution of our gameplan. We came into the year looking to just continue to build on what we had been doing for the four years prior – absolutely no problem with that. It had worked, and worked spectacularly. We quickly realized that the game had changed – some rule tweaks and general evolution of game style toward precise and devastating corridor kicking was looking to be in vogue.

Credit to the coaching staff, they recognized this and for the rounds from about round 6 up until the bye, we looked to be adopting a more controlled style of game. It didn’t really work. Our team was never built to be like the Eagles or Geelong. We had built our own brand, and dominated with it.

It looks as if now we have abandoned that plan. It has resulted in what at the moment, is an absolute mess. We have no definable brand, no definable style, no definable look. We are just an absolute basket case. We are getting belted all over the park – most concerning is that we simply cannot win the territory battle at all. There are also a number of ancillary but still deeply concerning problems; our pressure is rock bottom, our midfield is getting destroyed inside and out, and our skills have been absolutely deplorable. In fact, every fundamental has been deplorable.

We are playing the game at half back constantly. I’m not sure what the coaching staff are trying to implement at the moment, but it has resulted in what looks like 18 bags of flaming dog s**t on a football oval.

People can tell themselves bed time stories about Hocking ‘being out to get us’ all they want. It’s conspiratorial bullshit that helps nuffies sleep at night. We simply haven’t been able to adapt.

It has been something of a perfect storm. We are clearly carrying three club greats – Astbury, Cotchin and Houli – because they have earned the right to call time themselves. That’s what we wear as a triple premiership club and it is a problem that 17 other teams would like to have. Their time is up, and it is about stage managing their exits as respectfully and gracefully as possible. Hopefully they decide to call time themselves, but particularly in the case of Cotchin, they may go around again. They’ve earned the right to make that decision.

In addition to this, lesser known but absolutely key players have had interrupted seasons that have severely impacted their form; primarily Vlaustin and Edwards. I don’t think Edwards is finished, he is a player like Burgoyne that will age well in my opinion. But he is having a poor season, as is Vlaustin. They’re quality players, but no player is immune to a poor season. Dusty is in a slump at the minute as well. Short has been consistently on the park, but has been poor – particularly with his disposal. Grimes is somewhere in the middle – is the cliff here, or is he just out of form? The jury is out.

Injury has slammed us. Nankervis was winning the Jack Dyer before he went down. It has maybe been the most pertinent injury we’ve copped this season. In addition to this, our midfield has been a Russian roulette of injury all season and this is compounded by injuries to Balta (whom had been poor, but is young and obviously going to be a defensive stalwart) and Broad (who had been both excellent and terrible, sometimes within the same game.) When we play at the moment, it seems to be a lazy susan of players grimacing in pain, clutching for knees, ankles or shoulders.

The injuries mean we play kids – who have all shown things at times (it was Naish tonight) – but these are, despite their relative age on the list, still players that lack even 10 games experience. There’s an adage in round ball footy that ‘you don’t win things with kids’ and that’s what we are seeing now. There’s some excitement there, and Bolton is a star – but RCD, Dow, Naish et al. are all going to need much more time before they are consistent AFL performers.

There are some positives; Bolton for starters. Wow. We need to re-sign him. Baker has been plugging holes all year and is a real goer, I love his energy and his cleanliness. Our Caleb Daniel. RCD has shown enough. CCJ showed a lot as a forward in my opinion, but was absolutely terrible around the ground tonight. Aarts has had a good season, but is an extremely limited player – he’s the classic ‘medicore team’ player. He won’t be there when and if we challenge in the near future.

As supporters we need to adjust our expectations. Which hurts; I know. It is so painful to see this wonderful offensive and defensive machine reduced to this sputtering mess we are currently watching. But it happens to all teams; we weren’t going to be any different. It’s the league design.

We need to rebuild our identity and refresh the list; we have seen enough from the likes of Chol and Ross in my opinion. They aren’t the way forward. Our recruiting with inferior picks in the last five years has been good. We have a great opportunity to inject some quality youth and exuberance into the team at the end of this year. We need to take it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Give Lynch and the defenders votes. Midfield didn't show up. Cotchin, Graham, Edwards and Martin just awful. Need Nank back badly.

Guys like RCD, Dow, Ross, etc don't fill me with much confidence. Need Stack in. He's at least proven at the level

Well 2017-2020 were an amazing experience and nothing that happens from here can ever take that away, but we're nowhere near it right now and it's finally the end of the era.

fu** me that umpiring was disgraceful. How many throws did they call on us and how many on them?

Shocking last quarter.

How many in the backs and holdings on us and not called on them? That last was borderline corruption.

I'm glad Lynch is back in the team. A couple of good players, mostly the rest were average at best. The umpires certainly got them over the line in the last quarter though... streakers ruined our momentum big time.
Umps didn't help at all. But either way. This is a disgrace. Should never be in this position. Scrambling against the suns who lost to norf at home. How ******* embarrassing. They've just given up. I'm so done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back