Autopsy Roast & Toast R16 vs Gold Coast & Changes for R17 vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Way to miss the point or is that just plain old avoidance. Dont know where its written you cant win premierships and play deserving kids at the same time.

Imo those in charge have become too enamoured with those who had the success avoiding hard decisions even when they have been shizen.
In anyones language we have been guilty of this.

Im absolutely certain those in charge are fully aware of Castagna's and McIntosh's abysmal disposal and poor form but they just keep on playing them week after after week year after year. So many have been very ordinary for long and short periods and instead of giving them a rest we have mostly just continued to play em at the cost of kids getting needed experience. We play blokes out of their normal position at the expence of kids Caddy laughably comes to mind.

Every single man and his dog knows for us its been all about team and a lot of our players are not so flash. Its why the dynasty is not recognised as being a good one. I for one am big enough to agree i really dont care how we won our premierships better to win em with a lot of ordinary players than not at all.
But i can at least acknowledge we did win em with our fair share of ordinary players and these are the such obvious ones that we should have been looking for upgrades for.

Who were the deserving kids that we avoided playing? Ross was given every chance at the end of 2019 to get back in. His game against West Coast late in the season went very close to costing us a premiership. He was easily our best kid who didn't get into the grand final team that year, but had his chances. Last year we gave Higgins every chance, he struggled, Naish had an opportunity and was awful against GWS. Aarts was in the team most of the year and fell away late, Chol always seems to come in, play a few good games and then lose all form. Stack was also given every opportunity at the start of last year. When CCJ may have got an opportunity he got suspended. RCD is the only one they could have put in for more games, but maybe he's just not that good. Baker, Balta and Bolton all found their way in and locked up spots over the last few years. But that is the level you have to be to get into a premiership side. McIntosh has been woeful this year, but excellent last year, he played VFL most of 2019. George is obviously struggling but we don't have small forward depth anymore.

Dow looks really assured and comfortable at the top level. Hope he stays in the side.

Naish has looked pretty good at the level but he's had 2 big moments that havent looked great - hopefully he nips that in the bud and doesn't go half hearted again. Would rather see skill errors than half hearted attacks on the contest at key moments.

RCD stilll has a way to go but we need to keep pumping games into him, quickest way his conditioning will improve.

With Lynch back, CJ goes into the 3rd tall/backup ruck role - based on his performance in the role last night, he may struggle to get a spot ahead of Chol. Prior to last night he was playing Lynch's role, his ruckwork needs work!

We need Nank back bigtime - Nank ruck with Chol backup/3rd tall is a good structure.

Miller needs a run - 1) to see if he can make it, 2) for structure, so too Garth

Hoping Stack puts in a strong performance today (got 10 possies in half a qtr so far so good start). Mansell a chance to replace Houli

If people are happy with this then be prepared for them to have bad games and no impact ... potentially costing us games as well

If people are happy with this then be prepared for them to have bad games and no impact ... potentially costing us games as well

We don't have much of a choice at the moment. Naish has been handy in all fairness, has just let himself down at a couple of key moments, I have no doubt its a concentration issue, so hoping he's learnt pretty quick that at AFL level you can't afford to not go 100% everytime, whereas at vfl level he gets away with it. Deserves games.

RCD not so much, but i noticed that prior to his AFL stint he struggled to get more than 12-15 touches a game at VFL level, his 2 games post afl stint he had over 20 at 3/4time and was clearly running across the ground a lot better. His is a conditioning issue so the more games we can pump into him (within reason) the better.

As for Miller we need another tall defender in the side, Astbury and Grimes with Vlastuin playing tall doesn't cut it and Miller has surprisingly been very good at vfl level this season - this coming from someone who doesnt rate him

The energy of our crowds has been pathetic this year. We have a reputation for being feral like Collingwood, West Coast and Port fans among delusional oppos. In reality, we're completely tame in comparison and have been throughout our entire premiership run. We could have drowned out the Gold Coast fans last night, but that hasn't been the culture of the Richmond fans at any point (save the QF in 2017 because of our hatred for Geelong).

Agreed that our energy can fluctuate massively. Never liked the Rich-mond clap x3 chant either. It fades quickly and doesn’t inspire at all. A longer riiiiiiiiiichmooooooond would be so much better

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Dude our skills were and are crap do you watch games? The assistants came in seen it and changed our game plan to suit them and it worked. Now they all left rules changed and the reality is there for all to see again. Just in case you missed it our style changed to an all-out attack all over the ground that's why we used to hold teams to around 60 points a game. They have reverted back to keeping the ball and the skills are there for us to see. Can't kick missed handballs can hardly mark.
Again Injuries, ageing, Rule changes, teams have woken up to our gameplan all in all which is forcing us to change.
Mate, l do watch the games - twice over sometimes, my question to you is........
how did we win 3 flags and 19 consecutive games at the MCG if our skills were as bad as you are saying?
something has to give?
i should remind you that I was one of the first calling out Rioli and George....that way before everyone jumped on the bandwagon. I said it years ago l copped flack for it too. technically I'm very savvy when it comes to game plans and skill.
we are playing way below our best, don’t get carried away.

Stack will be a chance to replace Houli after a solid VFL performance, he spent the majority of the game on the back flank.
If he’s not suspended that is

It’s the only way, it’s time....we were at a situation for a couple of years or more where it was very hard for kids to break into the team.
now times have changed and we have to deal with it like every other team.

The last two weeks are 100% on the 22 that pulled on the Richmond jumper. Especially the senior players.
I played D2 Ammos Reserves and showed better skills than some out there Thursday night.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate, l do watch the games - twice over sometimes, my question to you is........
how did we win 3 flags and 19 consecutive games at the MCG if our skills were as bad as you are saying?
something has to give?
i should remind you that I was one of the first calling out Rioli and George....that way before everyone jumped on the bandwagon. I said it years ago l copped flack for it too. technically I'm very savvy when it comes to game plans and skill.
we are playing way below our best, don’t get carried away.
I explained to you new assistants seen how crap skill-wise we were so they invented the chaos game which is a defence system all over the ground not just in defence. What we are doing now is going backwards like we did prior 17 and bombing it forward, therefore, showing our true skills. The players are like 4 years plus older and they can't hack that style anymore hence we are where we are. It was a genius plan but eventually, it ends. The injuries this year and prior is caused by that game plan and getting older.

I explained to you new assistants seen how crap skill-wise we were so they invented the chaos game which is a defence system all over the ground not just in defence. What we are doing now is going backwards like we did prior 17 and bombing it forward, therefore, showing our true skills. The players are like 4 years plus older and they can't hack that style anymore hence we are where we are. It was a genius plan but eventually, it ends. The injuries this year and prior is caused by that game plan and getting older.
It's more like you found the point, that is that our players have burnt out because of our manic preasure game style.

Who were the deserving kids that we avoided playing? Ross was given every chance at the end of 2019 to get back in. His game against West Coast late in the season went very close to costing us a premiership. He was easily our best kid who didn't get into the grand final team that year, but had his chances. Last year we gave Higgins every chance, he struggled, Naish had an opportunity and was awful against GWS. Aarts was in the team most of the year and fell away late, Chol always seems to come in, play a few good games and then lose all form. Stack was also given every opportunity at the start of last year. When CCJ may have got an opportunity he got suspended. RCD is the only one they could have put in for more games, but maybe he's just not that good. Baker, Balta and Bolton all found their way in and locked up spots over the last few years. But that is the level you have to be to get into a premiership side. McIntosh has been woeful this year, but excellent last year, he played VFL most of 2019. George is obviously struggling but we don't have small forward depth anymore.
very good post but we gotta understand that a couple of the posters on here are jumping for joy that we are 9th again sadly

watching at the ground, he absolutely killed us.

the difference between Miller and Mitchell is that Miller makes his possessions count.
i love dimma. But his refusal to make oppo playmakers accountable shits me no end.
Why would we? We were better than everyone else. We played out game plan and forced other teams to play it to.

When you start focusing on the other team you stop playing your own game plan.

Tagging is what you do when the other team is better than you.

Our problem is, is that we have strayed too far from our fundamentals as a result of over-reacting. When we lost early season games due to teams taking advantage of our reduced defense through the corridor due to the new stand on the mark rule, we became concerned. But when our forward half pressure dropped away because of the new kick in rule, we panicked. We decided that we needed to bring in more offensive players, forwards that could kick goals at the expense of our forward pressure.

Our game is based on forward half turnovers. Its what has generated much of our scoring. We relied on cutting off the ball movement of the opposition and forcing them down the line where we could then turn the ball over and use our hands and speed to create one-on-one opportunities in our forwardline.

So how do we get this back - bring back our speed and defense.

We need more defense in our F50 and through the midfield. Leave Jack and Lynch as our only tall forwards and don't rest our rucks forward but rather back. Play four small densive forwards. Ensure our midfielders clog up the corridor and shut down the oppositions movement even if it means we no longer play with one extra in the backline.

If we shore up our defensive structures, the turnovers will come and the scoring will increase.

Good comments.
Richmond has always been a rebound team, conceding the primary clearance, hurting on the secondary disposal.
It is interesting to see Melbourne imploding.
Nowhere near say Essendon's dominance in 2000, 21 H&A wins.
Oliver is being whacked off the ball, week in, week out, and starting to retaliate.
Only really rate the Lions, so we have a chance.

one of our advantages in the past is that we've been on the fortunate side of the equation with injuries. this year we've copped it in a large dose. hard to get fluency and connection when that happens.
This year reminds me of 2019, we played some sh#t early games against the pies and GWS not wanting to peak too early as in 2018, then as we started playing better injuries hit, and we were beaten by North, Adelaide and smashed by Geelong to be 9th on the ladder after round 14.

Then the injured troops returned, and we did not lose another game that season.

This year is 2019, minus the troops returning. Cotchin is copping a lot of heat here, unfairly imo, he has minimal support in the centre, with Edwards carrying a niggle, Bolton awol, RCD, Ross and the other VFL replacements not up to required standard, Dusty below his best, and he's also over coming a troublesome hamstring. Add to that our lack of forward pressure this year, our mid field and defence have paid the penalty for this.

I cannot understand moving Rioli to half back, when he can't even play a decent forward defensive role. Add Castagna being sub standard and JR not being able to bring the ball to ground, all this results in our high pressure game plan being ineffective. What a difference an injury free Lynch made!

Nank has been a major loss obviously, with none of the replacements able to adequately play his role, and now with Broad and Balta gone 2021 is a write off.

With a good pre season, some astute drafting/recruiting, and a Caracella and Leppitch replacement to guide Dimma, I expect us to bounce back next year to be a premiership threat given a decent injury run.

Ins: Nank, Stack (if he ain't suspended), Parker, Mansell, D.Rioli.....I was impressed with Martyn too today but I don't think Dimma will make 6 changes.

Outs: CCJ (inj), Houli (inj), Naish, Ross, Castagna (Jayden Short on notice). As much as Ross didn't do too badly, we need players to break the lines and give us more run from the back half and all of stack, rioli and mansell can give us that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back