• 50: Marlion Pickett

Votes: 22 16.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Blame Chol all you like his not to blame do people understand his not a number one ruck wakeup has to play there because of injuries.
I think he has been OK for what he is and has been expected to do as solo ruck. However, there are times I would like to see him compete harder.
Nank if miles from the best ruck in the comp, but he makes up for it by competing harder in the air and on the ground than the oppo ruck (and half our kids on the ground at that).

That is the only thing that has made me lose my hair at a greater rate than normal when I watch Chol play. Just compete Chol and I won’t complain at all.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
anyone like rioli in defence ? LOL, he had some moments but he had others where he just lost his man and they got free and scored a goal

i just want the high pressure rioli in the fwd line back :( and our high pressure game back, we look literal dog sh*t with no pressure
I already said they probably wanted to give him a few more games at VFL in defence before putting him in at AFL, but didn’t get the luxury due to injury.
Leave him there for the rest of the year now to learn, let Baker have more mud and forward time.

and a little bit further perspective.
2020 GF side versus yesterdays side - talk about a shift in experience.... :cool:

Outs: Edwards, Lambert, Nankervis, Prestia, Balta, Broad, Houli, Vlastuin

Ins: Collier-Dawkins, Mansell, Chol, Stack, Naish, Garthwaite, Dow, Aarts

Moppey

Team Captain
Oct 24, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
I have not criticised Cotchin but in anyones language he is playing as just a shadow of himself. And the concerns have not just been this year.
If he is shot then id rather he retire and be remembered as the player he was with a huge legacy rather than the player he is playing like atm.

Father time catches up with every player and i dont think it is being disrespectful to think its possibly happened with Cotch.

If there is an injury causing his poor performances then they really should rest him.

Nov 26, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Man U, Chicago Bulls, Anaheim Ducks
None of the top liners (Nank, Prestia, Edwards, Lambert, etc.). CJ's calf was very minor and he's probably the only one who is a chance. We may also lose Chol depending on how his ankle pulls up.

We lose Chol then we will probably rush Nank or blood Ryan again

Shame Balta went down, that campaigner thrives in the ruck/midfield

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Aarts was useless again last night. As was Castagna.
I know MRJ won't get many touches, but at least his forward pressure would put these two to shame.

db26

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2007
Punt road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa,A-league
I know MRJ won't get many touches, but at least his forward pressure would put these two to shame.

Said it before Aarts is vfl footballer you can find plenty better in state leagues him and George need replacing for us to move in to our next stage.

BKM78

Club Legend
Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond

I could be wrong, i'd have to watch the replay but I feel like Castagna was not at the drop of any marking contests. If he isn't at Lynch and JR's feet...where is he? Is it a deliberate tactic to drag his man away from the contest? Or is he just reading the game wrong?

Aug 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Not to mention the fact that he’s played and trained as a forward all year
He was extremely solid all game and played his role perfectly imo
If we get Miller or another defender into the side I’d give Garth a go as the third tall. Looked ok in the VFL. I guess CCJ takes that spot though.
as we have kids that didn't have a VFL season last year.
That’s a good point.
If Miller is available I'd bring him in in place of Garthwaite. Garth wasn't bad, but he's clearly a very limited player, and Miller has had much stronger form in the twos with much greater upside.
As I said above, he does seem handy as a forward.
any ideas of who of our injured might be available this week?
I think Dimma said none returning.

Feb 25, 2007
FNQ
AFL Club
Richmond
You can't really expect many people to be across the finer points of football on a forum for the general public, but simple concepts like injury and tiredness *should* be really easy to comprehend and take into account when formulating your thoughts on the game. I'm staggered how many can't manage that.

Marbs limped off barely able to walk 5 minutes into the 1Q, yet managed to end the first half having competed so well that Grundy had his lowest 1st half rating for the season. At 3Q time he was still well below his season average.

We were ahead largely because despite injury, Marbs managed to play well above expectations. He negated Grundy in the centre square and his work at other stoppages was head and shoulders above anything he's managed before. He learned from last week, negated the contest so well against an opponent 17kg heavier, so much more experienced and ended up with the same amount of clearances as Grundy for the game. Even with the last quarter fade out, Grundy ended the match with only 11 hitouts to advantage - BELOW his season average. He had 15 the week before against Ryder/Marshall.

Yes, Marbs got caught out a handful of times in the last quarter - when he was so tired he could barely lift his feet. He was also still winning contests, working himself into the ground and fighting as hard for the side as anyone else on the ground. He was visibly shattered when he got outmarked in front of goal, he'd given absolutely everything for us.

You DON'T call a bloke who does that 'soft', or 'useless.' You look at the load he had to carry, the early injury, how much his heart was in the game, how well he did for a long stretch and you be grateful for his efforts. You know he's going to grow from the hurt and come back harder and tougher for the experience.

Marbs had the sort of performance that should earn a 26 gamer carrying the ruck by himself a ton of gratitude and a pat on the back, not a bucketload of bile and abuse for his efforts. I'm sure within the club he got the thanks and encouragement he deserved.

I see even RCD has copped similar - if not as nasty - criticism. He was close to the best mid on the ground in the first half with perhaps only Bolton ahead, he had a fantastic game and faded for exactly the same reasons Chol did - he's not even close to the 50-game mark where the overwhelming majority of players can start to be able to genuinely run out 4-quarter games with consistency.

These blokes are inexperienced players doing their best to fill the gaping holes injury has left us with. The very least they deserve is a judgement of their contribution which has some grounding in reality, not fanciful thinking like: 'why can't our 3rd string, 26 game ruck who got injured 5 minutes into the game and played solo beat one of the top-3 rucks in the league AND his veteran backup for four quarters, instead of only breaking even for a half?'

Perspective people.

The only thing which really disappointed/surprised me from the last quarter of the game, was how often we set up in the centre square with 2 lateral senior players not goal side of their opponent. We should have gone full defensive knowing the inevitable was coming and it was a glaring tactical error, IMO.

Coach_Required

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool & Boston Celtics

How about when Aarts was on the wing and we had a 3 on 1 and he just held on to it and held on to it and then went to handpass and stuffed it up ... i just turned my TV off after that.

69vintage

Premiership Player
Jan 15, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
You can't really expect many people to be across the finer points of football on a forum for the general public, but simple concepts like injury and tiredness *should* be really easy to comprehend and take into account when formulating your thoughts on the game. I'm staggered how many can't manage that.

Marbs limped off barely able to walk 5 minutes into the 1Q, yet managed to end the first half having competed so well that Grundy had his lowest 1st half rating for the season. At 3Q time he was still well below his season average.

We were ahead largely because despite injury, Marbs managed to play well above expectations. He negated Grundy in the centre square and his work at other stoppages was head and shoulders above anything he's managed before. He learned from last week, negated the contest so well against an opponent 17kg heavier, so much more experienced and ended up with the same amount of clearances as Grundy for the game. Even with the last quarter fade out, Grundy ended the match with only 11 hitouts to advantage - BELOW his season average. He had 15 the week before against Ryder/Marshall.

Yes, Marbs got caught out a handful of times in the last quarter - when he was so tired he could barely lift his feet. He was also still winning contests, working himself into the ground and fighting as hard for the side as anyone else on the ground. He was visibly shattered when he got outmarked in front of goal, he'd given absolutely everything for us.

You DON'T call a bloke who does that 'soft', or 'useless.' You look at the load he had to carry, the early injury, how much his heart was in the game, how well he did for a long stretch and you be grateful for his efforts. You know he's going to grow from the hurt and come back harder and tougher for the experience.

Marbs had the sort of performance that should earn a 26 gamer carrying the ruck by himself a ton of gratitude and a pat on the back, not a bucketload of bile and abuse for his efforts. I'm sure within the club he got the thanks and encouragement he deserved.

I see even RCD has copped similar - if not as nasty - criticism. He was close to the best mid on the ground in the first half with perhaps only Bolton ahead, he had a fantastic game and faded for exactly the same reasons Chol did - he's not even close to the 50-game mark where the overwhelming majority of players can start to be able to genuinely run out 4-quarter games with consistency.

These blokes are inexperienced players doing their best to fill the gaping holes injury has left us with. The very least they deserve is a judgement of their contribution which has some grounding in reality, not fanciful thinking like: 'why can't our 3rd string, 26 game ruck who got injured 5 minutes into the game and played solo beat one of the top-3 rucks in the league AND his veteran backup for four quarters, instead of only breaking even for a half?'

Perspective people.

The only thing which really disappointed/surprised me from the last quarter of the game, was how often we set up in the centre square with 2 lateral senior players not goal side of their opponent. We should have gone full defensive knowing the inevitable was coming and it was a glaring tactical error, IMO.
And also carried a hand injury into the game wearing a glove .He was far from our worst .

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nov 11, 2010
Punt Rd End
AFL Club
Richmond
I think the rest of the year is going to be a free hit for the club in terms of giving game time to our developing players and seeing who will be on our list long term. I wouldn't bother bringing back in experienced players but rather give the premiership heroes a lengthy time to recover and build into next season.

I want to see Miller and Junior play. Put Ryan and Ross back into the side. See if we can bring up Caddy's trade value. The season still has value if we play the kids and work on our defensive game plan.

Brisbane is likely to give us an almighty thumping but if we look long term and aim look towards adapting our game style to take the flag next season, then I think we can swallow that pill this year.

Tomnat Tigers

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Arsenal
Was just having a look at the hit out stats for the comp
Nank ranked a pretty respectable 13th not bad considering he hasn’t played a huge amount of games, and hit outs have never really been his strength it’s when the ball hits the deck and around the ground that Toby really shines

Now where does Chol sit?
View attachment 1175697
Just highlights how poor Chol is as a ruck for us he has been our starting ruck for a number of weeks now but hardly ever manages to give our mids a look at first use and he’s next to useless around the ground
Make no mistake Nank has been our biggest loss for the seasonView attachment 1175703

Chol has played 6 games, 5 of those as a genuine ruckman. In three of those he come up against 3 of the 4 best tap ruckman in the game.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Man Utd
Thank you RFC for the last 4 years....it sbeen amazing
we all waited for flick of the switch this year but it aint happening
We all now wait for 2022 hoping the switch will flick again........

We have a strong draft hand but draft/trade usually takes a while to show any impact....

may be it's time to thank the stars and come to terms with the end of this amazing era

and seriously hope that the next era is not 37 years away...!

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Man Utd
Chol has played 6 games, 5 of those as a genuine ruckman. In three of those he come up against 3 of the 4 best tap ruckman in the game.

I know you are replying to the post with stats but issues with Chol are different
for a man his size, he shy's away from contest hoping someone else will jump. That's non negotiable
sadly i don't see how he fits into our best 22 or even 30

Not saying he’s done a bad job but relying on him has cost us games simple as that

It’s not his fault he’s not a number 1 ruck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back