Autopsy Roast & Toast R20 vs Fremantle & Changes for R21 vs North Melbourne

Best vs Freo

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Positives:
- Stack looks to be back to his best, putting his body on the line to win the footy and then using his run and carry to launch counter attacks. Will be better again in 2022 with a solid summer under his belt.
- Rioli like Stack is a real weapon coming out of the D50 with his ability to move through traffic and his use of the footy sets up teammates to keep moving forward.
- With those 2 slotting in down back it has released Baker up into the midfield where he has looked right at home.

Outside that not much else to be happy about.
Thought Baker was poor his ball handling was absent and his vision non existent how many handballs did he dish off to guys under the pump
Needs to lift Bakes

Cotchys 3rd quarter was huge
Stackman was fantastic!
Baker Rioli Mansell solid!
Grimes Astbury good too
Rest pretty average!

Our midfield is pretty s**t, has been all season! Our transition forward of centre is deplorable!

In: kids
Out: anyone with a niggle!

Serious questions need to be asked about a few players futures!

Our recruiting staff have a big off season ahead of them!

On CPH2207 using BigFooty.com mobile app

So, Brayshaw is standing all on his lonesome at the second last stoppage and wins the clearance.
A few seconds later, at the second last stoppage, he's left unattended again and wins the clearance.
Plain dumb!!!
I see your point but it was because it was a Hail Mary set up
Our mids set up to try and win the game in hope they would get a clean delivery from the ruck contest to try and set up the score

If they had all manned up if they had got the clean possie they would of been tackled straight away and another ball up killing time we didn’t have

Sacking a coach after 3 flags would be an instant culture killer.
Can't say I know Dimma as a person but FFS, calls for him to be sacked are far fetched. Yeah I know his marriage breakdown may have caused some friction within the playing group but how do any of us know the real story. Club has gotta back Dimma. I back Benny and Peggy to help him in the off season.

There were some bright sparks in the game today (Stack, Rioli, Ross, Mansell), but it's a big ask to expect the team to play well with so many still out. We haven't had a consistent team since the GF. Hopefully the coaches will see that we're done this year, and will just focus the last few games on giving the new recruits some AFL time, while letting the injured seniors get fit for next year.

There’s a huge difference between 2016 and 2021. In 2016, we had our top players in their primes or about to hit their primes. All we needed was better depth in 2016 and this was our primary concern from 2013-2015.

In 2021 though, most of our top players are past their primes and seem to be reaching the end of their careers. We now have an issue of needing top players in the competition because there isn’t one player in our side that I consider elite based on their 2021 output. I don’t think this issue will get better in the next couple of years either from the current players on our list because these injuries may start to become a regular thing (especially for the senior players).

We need to bring in better footballers with better basic skills and the easiest way for us to do that is through the draft. It isn’t one with the quickest results but we don’t need that. Just no more athletes that can run all day but struggle to hit targets because that gamestyle is unfortunately found out now.
Yes

The only game I saw live this year was round one.
Seems an eternity ago.
Blaming Dimma's coaching when we had 10 more inside 50s is seriously deluded dude.

Skill level isn't on the coach, but the disconnect going I50 all year (and funnily at times last year) is on Dimma and his assistants. We are slow to get it inside 50 when we have possession at half forward (which happens too often to not be an instruction)

Plus Jack and Lynch constantly getting into each others space, this isn't on the coaches as much IMO. I'm sure they've been told but they both naturally want to be the no.1 forward and will be drawn to the ball even when they should be leading to the open side.

I see your point but it was because it was a Hail Mary set up
Our mids set up to try and win the game in hope they would get a clean delivery from the ruck contest to try and set up the score

If they had all manned up if they had got the clean possie they would of been tackled straight away and another ball up killing time we didn’t have

Whatever the excuse is we all knew we'd lose both clearances for whatever reason. How about someone just win the *en thing when the game is on the line. When we were 10 points up we needed the midfield to stand up again and again.

Record membership and get offered this tripe, ill pay up again but it will be tough sell for many next year

you only been a member since 2017? I have paid for spoons and flags with my membership. Maybe call it quits now? Save the hassle?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We had a bad run of injuries this year but the key factor was they were not evenly spread they unfortunately were initially concentrated in the centre.

This added tremendous pressure on our backs as the centre bounce was routinely lost and the extra supplying entering our D50 resulted in attrition of our defenders in the later half of the season.

We had no forward entry cohesion as our linking midfield was mainly occupying the sick bay resulting in a breakdown of our forward structures.

One soldier goes down another goes in is our motto but it does not work when you have to replace a whole platoon in as we had to do this year.

We sorely missed the two way running of Lambert and Prestia this year and you could see in this game some of those cogs beginning to grind back into life as this match wore on.

Positives,

1 The emergence of our indigenous HB line with Stack Mansell D Rioli this is exciting

Premierships are built from defense and this is the most positive aspect that has come out due to our adversity with injuries.

Our three peat premiership run will have to begin from next year.....go tigers

How on earth has Caddy not been selected to provide some fire power up forward has been mind boggling.

We had a great run lucky to see the flags we did. I actually think Lynch will be better player when Jack is gone. The game plan worked for us now it doesn’t stack up with the new rules. Re invent and let’s go again. Lynch the main man up forward and give him some space to mark it.

Wouldn’t mind if Dimma decided to move on, Clarkson at the hawks prime example of it tried to hold on for to long after winning the three peat. Avoid that at all costs. Maybe it’s a fresh voice and ideas that are needed for a refresh.

everything that made our group special got blown apart with covid. If you read theKonrad books it was pretty clear that a lot of our success and belief was down to a strong coaching group but the atmosphere / environment created at punt road like the running man sessions etc which have all been taken away/ negatively effected by the covid stuff.

Dimma just looks tired and maybe the short turn around in seasons and the off field stuff along with lack of help has just made it very hard it.

Whatever the excuse is we all knew we'd lose both clearances for whatever reason. How about someone just win the fu**en thing when the game is on the line. When we were 10 points up we needed the midfield to stand up again and again.
Agree
Would kill for a couple of mids who can win some hard balls
Contested possies is a stat we get smacked in every week and the scary part is that Cotchin is our best in that department, who is essentially cooked

Well, if you’re willing to sit through a thesis on our season strap yourself in.

In brief: thank God it is over. It has been an absolute nightmare to sit through. Save for a half against the dogs, flashes against GWS and ten minutes against Essendon it has been turgid football. I believe we started off (and I suppose rightfully so) full of belief. When things were looking dicey early on, we had seen this before - we would come good. By the bye, we looked set to at least make a feasible assault on a lower top 4 position. The six weeks after have been an abject disaster. I think the team got a good look at their own mortality, and it has absolutely spooked them - players who had some voices in their heads about the end will hear them getting louder. We had beaten all who had come before us, but in the end we must remember that Time is undefeated.

We absolutely have to remember that this may be the triple-premiership team that most relied on role players. Look around the Geelong list this season - aside from some jobbers like Atkinson, Bews, Close and Parfitt (may be harsh) - it is a star studded side. Everywhere you look, there are players of repute, experience and skill. Look at the Dogs midfield; it is a list management marvel that that very combination of players take the field each week for the same club. The Dees have been taking high-end talent for years - they have developed, defined the direction for the club and are now ready to do some damage.

We don’t have that, and we never had that. We had a seismic generational-defining talent, a core of 4-6 A graders beneath him and then a team that worked their arses off, played to their strengths and demonstrated incredible resilience, determination and concentration for 120 minutes. In common parlance, the boys are f’ed. I would be too. To elevate our game to teams with a greater spread of talent, we simply had to expend so much mental and physical energy.

Most worryingly; teams that aren’t realistically assaulting a premiership this year also look to be on a sharp incline. Essendon have genuine stars, and Darcy Parish this year has become the complete midfielder. If you’re one of the posters here that was calling him an ‘accumulator’, you know less about football than I do about brevity. Sydney have a crop of kids that are the envy of the football world. Freo have a great young midfield coming together. Again, if you don’t think we should be looking to get Cerra to the club I urge you to put yourself through the misery of that game again. His kicks inside 50 were fantastic. He is poised and pinpoint.

We look absolutely bereft of confidence. This look the players got into the ‘afterlife’ seems to have affected them deeply. We play with no dash, no dare, we panic in tight situations, our tackles aren’t as Tigerish. Where we once got through, we now get caught.

Our defence was actually quite good - in that, our defensive profile is still fairly sound. We let some big scores through more often this year, but the defence (even in spite of the injuries) were actually pretty rock solid. I think a lot of posters here are extremely worried about our ‘system’ - and rightfully so. But I think our defensive systems are still relatively sound. During our peak we had a pretty consistent mantra out of the coaching staff that our ‘defence informs our offence.’

This is what I can’t reconcile; our defence has actually - for the most part and in comparison to other areas of our game - been reasonably good. They’ve seen a lot of ball this year. More than they have in five years. So why is our offence so, so poor? I’m not even sure at this stage, that a 22-point performance against St. Kilda will be the nadir. We look largely incapable of figuring out how to move the ball from the wing through the goalposts.

Our off-season to my mind, two things need to be addressed urgently:

1. Finding ready-to-go, early 20s midfield talent. Normally I would say that we take our haul to the draft. But this year there are two factors that have me nervous about this - the relative unknown of the players in COVID-impacted football and the fact that there are some quality realistic targets available. That means Cerra, but not only Cerra. Narkle, Lipinski et al. are all better than depth options for us. They would play. We can offer that carrot now and should offer that carrot now. If we can’t access these players, then I’m happy to gamble at the draft. If we make moves for a Mitchell type player with one contract remaining, I’ll be apoplectic.

2. Re-write the offensive set ups as much as the defensive system will allow. I think the defensive system can be retained, but not at the cost of an offensive overhaul. I’m not a coach. I don’t know how these things work to be honest. If system is an holistic philosophy that requires wholesale change, or is broken into parts. If they are connected, we need a re-think entirely. It’s not as if we don’t have talent in that part of the ground. If you’ve forgotten who Tom Lynch is (and I believe STILL is) go and watch the 2019 Prelim again.

I also think the club needs a directional change, and I think we need to be ready to wear some pain. For me, the rebuild begins now. I’m not talking a fully-fledged 8-10 year rebuild; but something that can refresh the club and utilise Dusty’s twilight years to hopefully pinch something. We have the draft capital this year to make a real push in this direction.

This means that RCD, Dow, Ross (who was good today) etc. all play. They are now nailed-on. We need to know who is going to make it, and we need to know now. Stack and Rioli’s moves have been bright spots in a shitful season. Keep them there. I’m not going to pontificate on the futures of our 30+ triple-premiership players. They can make that decision. But at some point, we need to build a new midfield. The club must recognise this.

Anyway, I could go on. But I won’t.
goodpost

Aarts papers stamped. Enough is enough. What does he offer us that Ralphsmith, Cumberland, Rioli won't?

There is NO way that he should play another game for the rest of the seson.
Yeah, last year he was experimental depth. I like the guy but he has had a FULL season to step up and he just hasn't. With Ralphsmith kicking a few today surely this is it for Aarts.

Yep, figuring out which young guns should become part of the starting 22 next year. Stack, Mansell, Parker looked good today, need to keep giving them game time. Stacky was awesome today.
ive always liked stack, but the big glaring hole is inside mids, we need two big ones, if only RCD came on, if only ross kept being an inside mid, oh well

Yeah, last year he was experimental depth. I like the guy but he has had a FULL season to step up and he just hasn't. With Ralphsmith kicking a few today surely this is it for Aarts.

Ralphsmith wqs dropped of the back of a 2 goal game. Stiff then and even more stiff now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back