• 44: Sydney Stack

• 45: Hugo Ralphsmith

• 49: Maurice Rioli Jnr

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

For stability, please no changes...

Dow was great as a late in for Kmac, so don't change that.

I don't know what the story is with Pickett, but I'm not sure anyone deserves to be dropped to have him back in...

Agree hope GC beat the bombers at Metricon, if bombers win the only way to leap frog them is to beat gws and hawks more than they beat GC and Pies.
It's about 50-60 points but that would still be a long shot.

If Ess win both games and Richmond win both games, correct we can still make the 8 if west coast drop both games to Dees and Lions at the Gabba which is more likely to happen than not.

If for argument's sake we dropped one game or bombers dropped one we would need the eagles to also lose to Freo for us or bombers to jump into the 8.

Strap in, it's going to be a nerve-racking 2 weeks.
That Lions ,Eagles game might have nothing on the line for the Lions .
It's likely they won't move from 5 or 6th .

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I love Kmac, but he can't come back in... it would be a backward step.... we all sat here whinging about Aarts and Castagna, yet we want to bring Kmac back in? He is not plying at his best and screams of a B Grade player on the decline... and his skills kill us every week!

If he is available, I think you and I know that he's coming in. Macca on the wing is a workhorse, a two-way runner and is defensively minded.
Agree, his skills are questionable at best but geez he ain't the only one.

If there is no change I'm fine with that but remember GWS are bigger and stronger than North, they will pose as a harder opponent in the clinches.

As mentioned I can only see one of 2 players going out, being Mansell or MRJ and after some thought, if Macca is available I reckon Mansell will go out.
MRJ showed frenetic chasing and north turned the ball over in our fwd 50 on juniors pressure. We haven't had this since 2017 when Rioli, Butler and George were running havoc.

I like the look of Mansell has a big future at punt road but as a backman, there are 6 in front of him Grimes, Astbury, Vlustuin, Short, Stack and Rioli so if Macca comes in to the wing either Edwards, Baker or Dow can cover him as the 7th defender.

That Lions ,Eagles game might have nothing on the line for the Lions .
It's likely they won't move from 5 or 6th .

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

True but given they are coming out of some bad form and they wont want to revisit that two weeks out from finals and hopefully see a win as important just to ensure they are in their earlier season form.

Collingwood will have the cue in the rack for the last game also.

Will be one of the few times I barrack for Collingwood but I want Essendon to miss regardless of whether we take their spot.

No doubt it really shits all coaches to tears when the ex-player brigade take continual shots from the commentary box.

99 times out of 100 these type of comments amount to 'if only my enormous footy IQ was in the coaching box, side 'x' would be doing so much better.'

Brown's caught the bug from Brereton (clearly the worst and most constant offender), Lyon, Carey (not to mention Lloyd in the non-commentary media) etc., they just can't help themselves. Barely a game goes by where they don't insinuate that one of the sides playing is being coached by someone who has an inferior footy IQ than what they do and that if their magnificent football brain was in the box, that side would be successful.

I reckon they all deserve to be called out as the intellectual cowards they are, good on Dimma for doing so.

All of them have been given opportunities to coach, all of them turned those opportunities down because they'd rather the comparatively (and these days similarly remunerated) very easy gig they have in preference to ever actually putting their reputations on the line.

Well boys, sadly for you, media can be a two-way street - for once you didn't get away with it being one-way traffic where you get to pile on with no consequences. About time a coach called them out as the gutless cheap shot merchants they are and Dimma has the job security, reputation and profile to do it best on behalf of his fellow coaches.

Full marks to David King on The First Crack for calling out the journo for (a) misquoting Jonathan Brown and (b) asking Dimma a loaded question.

King reckons the journo owes both Brown and Dimma an apology for starting a conflict which is due entirely to the journo's misrepresentation of what Brown actually said. I reckon King is right.

Here's the video from YouTube -- jump to 2:10 in for King's comments.

Full marks to David King on The First Crack for calling out the journo for (a) misquoting Jonathan Brown and (b) asking Dimma a loaded question.

King reckons the journo owes both Brown and Dimma an apology for starting a conflict which is due entirely to the journo's misrepresentation of what Brown actually said. I reckon King is right.

Here's the video from YouTube -- jump to 2:10 in for King's comments.

I agree King's reasoning is sound, but to me, Brown's specific comment in that game was just the metaphorical straw that broke the camel's back for Dimma - both in terms of ex-player 'coaching guru's' sounding off endlessly and also the shabby, double standard umpiring Lynch cops week after week.

Dimma's been largely silent about dozens of instances of both and this week he chose not to be.

Fair enough I reckon.

If he is available, I think you and I know that he's coming in. Macca on the wing is a workhorse, a two-way runner and is defensively minded.
Agree, his skills are questionable at best but geez he ain't the only one.

If there is no change I'm fine with that but remember GWS are bigger and stronger than North, they will pose as a harder opponent in the clinches.

As mentioned I can only see one of 2 players going out, being Mansell or MRJ and after some thought, if Macca is available I reckon Mansell will go out.
MRJ showed frenetic chasing and north turned the ball over in our fwd 50 on juniors pressure. We haven't had this since 2017 when Rioli, Butler and George were running havoc.

I like the look of Mansell has a big future at punt road but as a backman, there are 6 in front of him Grimes, Astbury, Vlustuin, Short, Stack and Rioli so if Macca comes in to the wing either Edwards, Baker or Dow can cover him as the 7th defender.
We can't be unsettling our back 6 to get Kmac into the side, that's a horrendous move... Kmac is not that important to disrupt the back 6(+1).

If he comes back, it will (SADLY) be Dow that comes out...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We can't be unsettling our back 6 to get Kmac into the side, that's a horrendous move... Kmac is not that important to disrupt the back 6(+1).

If he comes back, it will (SADLY) be Dow that comes out...

If it's Dow I would be bloody spewing, he played really well, Oozes class, uses the ball well, 22 disposals and 10 contested.
The injury report tomorrow will tell the tale of what is likely to happen come Thur's selection.

If there's one thing that frustrates me as a viewer this year, it's watching us get smashed in centre clearances week in week out. It's been the same pattern every week and isn't bloody rocket science. Every game that we've been down by 5 goals has been due to getting smashed in clearances.
Don't worry, Adam Cerra is on the way !

Wait.

Dimma is our best coach in 46 years.
It is 46 years since back-to-back glory.
Have not seen the entire replay but was pleased by Dow's composure.
I saw a passage of play where he gathered the ball near half back.
In general, half back line is one of the most difficult positions, preparing for when they switch inboard or skirt the flank.

Last edited:
If there's one thing that frustrates me as a viewer this year, it's watching us get smashed in centre clearances week in week out. It's been the same pattern every week and isn't bloody rocket science. Every game that we've been down by 5 goals has been due to getting smashed in clearances.
Yet we have two mids assistant coaches coaching the forward and back lines...whos ******* great idea was that??? 🤪

Dimma is our best coach in 46 years.
It is 46 years since back-to-back glory.
Have not seen the entire replay but was pleased by Dow's composure.
I saw a passage of play where he gathered the ball near half back.
In general, half back line is one of the most difficult positions, preparing for when they switch inboard or skirt the flank.
Yes dimma is a great coach but this year has proven in the last four or five years he had some great assistant coaches helping him win those premierships...

I agree King's reasoning is sound, but to me, Brown's specific comment in that game was just the metaphorical straw that broke the camel's back for Dimma - both in terms of ex-player 'coaching guru's' sounding off endlessly and also the shabby, double standard umpiring Lynch cops week after week.

Dimma's been largely silent about dozens of instances of both and this week he chose not to be.

Fair enough I reckon.

Completely agree with your comments on both the media and the treatment of Lynch.

That said, I think there's yet another issue and it's the way in which the media try to manipulate coaches into saying something "news worthy" in press conferences. Good on King for calling out the journo on this occasion.

I think the AFL needs to start thinking about how to address this before we get to the situation that we see in tennis where people just don't want to do press conferences because the media abuse the access that press conferences provide. As it is, I suspect Dimma doesn't really take pressers all that seriously and I'd be surprised if any coach does really.

Completely agree with your comments on both the media and the treatment of Lynch.

That said, I think there's yet another issue and it's the way in which the media try to manipulate coaches into saying something "news worthy" in press conferences. Good on King for calling out the journo on this occasion.

I think the AFL needs to start thinking about how to address this before we get to the situation that we see in tennis where people just don't want to do press conferences because the media abuse the access that press conferences provide. As it is, I suspect Dimma doesn't really take pressers all that seriously and I'd be surprised if any coach does really.

Agreed.

Sadly journo's across all fields (none more than politics) get way more kudos from the occasional end result of baiting and chasing 'gotcha' moments than they do from being fair and reasonable observers who report the facts and are respectful towards those who are forced to indulge them.

I suspect Dimma figures that if he is going to be forced to indulge them, he's going to take the opportunity to get a few subtle - and not so subtle - digs in. ;)

Going to be fun watching MRJ terrorise defenders for the next ten years !

Jack Graham amongst the fastest players on the field...again. So if you think he's slow, then Hugo is also slow and the Rioli's are slow. Riiight.

Also Jack Graham runs his guts out. All game.

I believe last year he was clocked at 34kmh as well. Fastest player on the field that day.

Hopefully this puts the Jack Graham is slow argument to bed once and for all.

Last edited:
geez Jack Graham pulling 34km/hr is a suprise,if so its pretty impressive,FWIW in the NRL Xavier Coates from the Broncos has been clocked as the fastest
player during a game,top speed 36km/hr...hes even faster than the the Fox,Addo- Carr
anything above 31km/hr in the AFL is prettty stunning as in the NRL they do get to run 60-70 mtrs @ times w/o having to bounce

Parker’s 2nd half also very good when he was shifted onto the wing/midfield
Disposal still iffy at times but always has a crack

I hate being negative but he looked like a late 90s tiger player to me. Has an absolute crack but decision making and skill execution is erratic.

I reckon we left 2 to 3 easy goals on the table in the first half directly from his mistakes. Reminded me of Taylor Hunt, where every time he had the ball I knew it was going down the throat of an opposition 20 meters in the clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back