Votes: 137 56.8%
  • Jack Graham

Votes: 93 38.6%
  • Nathan Broad

Votes: 6 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

What footy have you guys been watching? Take away the prelim and Dusty was our best player in the last 6-8 weeks

Vs crows 30 touches and 2 goals
Vs GWS 29 touches and a goal
Vs Saints 30 touches and a goal
Vs Pies 19 touches and 3 goals
Vs Cats 26 touches
Vs GC 28 touches and a goal
Vs Ess 26 touches and 4 goals
Vs WB 33 touches and a goal
Vs Hawks QF 29 touches and a goal

As Dimma said in his post match, the humidity and slippery conditions made it tough out there and then he went on to say "the thing about Dustin is he tries to create the play all the time and that's what the fans love to see and to be fair it's his greatest strength as a player and you know he'll get some wrong but he gets the vast majority right and we'll continue to back him in to play the game and do what he thinks is best".

Stats are often deceptive but sometimes focusing on the perceived negatives of a player after a win can distort/distract from remembering the good like 30 disposals, Team high 15 contested, 5 clearances, Game High 7 inside 50s, Game High 11 score involvements, Game 2nd in 628 metres gained for a round one game. Yeah there were some clangers, so what - it's a game of imperfections and, if we're lucky, among those imperfections we get to glimpse little pockets of near perfection.

Yes.
It's always important to go through the data to assess the overall contribution.
Martin can break a game open in a burst of two or three minutes which can demoralise the opposition.
I remember he snapped the goal from the boundary in the Hawthorn game and it just broke their spirit.

Note to trolls and 'well wishers', this thread is strictly no opposition supporters on game day let us melt or celebrate in peace if you wish to be respectful after game day then as always we encourage discussion, jokers and trolls will still be carded as usual. Don't push your luck.

Otherwise have at it!

Carlton gave it a good go

What footy have you guys been watching? Take away the prelim and Dusty was our best player in the last 6-8 weeks

Vs crows 30 touches and 2 goals
Vs GWS 29 touches and a goal
Vs Saints 30 touches and a goal
Vs Pies 19 touches and 3 goals
Vs Cats 26 touches
Vs GC 28 touches and a goal
Vs Ess 26 touches and 4 goals
Vs WB 33 touches and a goal
Vs Hawks QF 29 touches and a goal
He had 30 touches on Thursday too. The amount of times he gets the ball isn’t the problem.

He just looks like he is coasting in comparison to 2017. How average his use of the ball was on Thursday is an aberration though. I don’t think I have ever seen that from Dusty and I don’t expect to see that again this year.

Someone did bring up a good excuse though. Dusty has been struggling from depression and anxiety so I shouldn’t have criticised him for coasting on Thursday and especially last year since Dusty already gave an explanation why he looked like he was just going through the motions last year. It’s not easy performing at peak effort when you are going through that state of mind and we don’t know what his state of mind is this year either. So, I take back my criticism.

Nah, hammy.
Saw him grab at it in front of me last minute of the game, and go off.
Hope I'm wrong.

Cramp. Not a hammy. Hamstrings do cramp up.

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower

Forward line is slow enough with Lynch & Balta. I would not be dropping Butler. And I agree on Balta to backline & still rotate in the ruck. I'm not sure why Balta only had 50% game time. Garth not ready yet. I'd play Ross. Ellis got 40 touches in a practice match. Great. Let him get 40 touches a few times in a row. I'm not writing him as part of the 22 this year. But not straight in for me.

.....Balta is anything but slow.

Effort and desire were there, IMO.
His last quarter was influential, however, his decision making was very ordinary.
Teams have also worked his fend off out. They g9 for the hips now. He coughed a few possessions up on Thursday trying to do too much.

Last edited:
As Dimma said in his post match, the humidity and slippery conditions made it tough out there and then he went on to say "the thing about Dustin is he tries to create the play all the time and that's what the fans love to see and to be fair it's his greatest strength as a player and you know he'll get some wrong but he gets the vast majority right and we'll continue to back him in to play the game and do what he thinks is best".

Stats are often deceptive but sometimes focusing on the perceived negatives of a player after a win can distort/distract from remembering the good like 30 disposals, Team high 15 contested, 5 clearances, Game High 7 inside 50s, Game High 11 score involvements, Game 2nd in 628 metres gained for a round one game. Yeah there were some clangers, so what - it's a game of imperfections and, if we're lucky, among those imperfections we get to glimpse little pockets of near perfection.
Totally agree with this comment...because he can be soooo bloody good, I think we expect a miracle everytime he gets the ball, which is just unfair on the guy!

Hard to keep Ellis out especially after his 40 possies in the vfl practice game
Not if you watched it.

...and today’s game, Port found out a way to beat the shemons...

hammer Gawn at every opportunity...he actually went to water quite quickly ...limp lettuce

Notice how viney petracca and to a lesser extent Oliver had minimal to average game impact
The Dees are sloooooooooooooow. Port ran them off their legs before half time.

Teams have also worked his fend off out. They g9 for the hips now. He coughed a few possessions up on Thursday trying to do too much.
Dusty will work out their work-out.

This week's Unsung Hero

Jack Graham (that is)

Entering his third season of senior football, many Tigers fans are optimistic about Jack Graham, and with good reason. The 21-year-old work tirelessly in Richmond’s engine room on Thursday night, getting the footy 23 times, laying six tackles, having five score involvements and kicking the ball inside 50 on five occasions as they held on for a 33-point win over Carlton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forward line is slow enough with Lynch & Balta. I would not be dropping Butler. And I agree on Balta to backline & still rotate in the ruck. I'm not sure why Balta only had 50% game time. Garth not ready yet. I'd play Ross. Ellis got 40 touches in a practice match. Great. Let him get 40 touches a few times in a row. I'm not writing him as part of the 22 this year. But not straight in for me.
balta is slow?

Herald Sun
March 25, 2019

RICHMOND
Can they win it without Rance? That’s the million-dollar question and we probably won’t know the answer until September. The Tigers will hope their incredible defensive system can absorb the loss. Youngster Ryan Garthwaite has shown in his brief AFL appearances he is capable of doing a job on a key forward, but he can’t replace Rance’s inspiration and leadership. Fortunately, there is another player who could. Tiger fans dreamed for years of Nick Vlastuin becoming a star midfielder, but after 117 games maybe this is the former Vic Metro captain’s calling. Having Tom Lynch boot 60-plus goals at the other end would also help a lot.

— Al Paton

INJURY LIST

Alex Rance ACL Season

Josh Caddy Ankle Indefinite

Jason Castagna Ankle Test

Ryan Garthwaite Achilles Test

Shaun Grigg Knee Indefinite

Jacob Townsend Thigh Test

Coaches votes for round 1

CARLTON v RICHMOND
10 Trent Cotchin (RICH)
8 Kane Lambert (RICH)
6 Patrick Cripps (CARL)
4 Toby Nankervis (RICH)
1 Kamdyn McIntosh (RICH)
1 Dustin Martin (RICH)

This guy should have been in a Richmond Jumper from day 1 instead of the Lemon.

Apologies in the delay in getting this up, the turnaround will be a lot quicker for this week's game.

For anybody that didn't see one of these posts in the 2nd half of last season, these are the midfield frequency stats from your match (ie. how often players were lining up as one of your 5 mids at centre bounces). I'll be posting these after Richmond's FTA matches (including finals).

Overall Summary (26 Bounces)

Cotchin 23
Martin 20
McIntosh 20 wing
Graham 19 (11w, 8i)
Edwards 18 (11w, 7i)
Prestia 18 (4w)
Lambert (2w, 2i)
Rioli 4 wing
Higgins 3
Weller 1

Rucks:
Nankervis 20 (Phillips 20)
Balta 6 (McKay 6)

Extra Stat - Back of Square (Extra Mid) Role:
Lambert 17
Prestia 3
Edwards 1

NB> At times you dropped this entirely (when Lambert went inside), on other occasions with quick clearances I couldn't ascertain who (if anybody) was playing the role.

1st Half Breakdown:

Cotchin 11
Edwards 10 wing (1i)
Graham 9 (5i, 4w)
Martin 8
McIntosh 8 wing
Prestia 7 (1w)
Lambert 4 (2w, 2i)
Higgins 2
Weller 1

Nankervis 7
Balta 5

2nd Half Breakdown:

Cotchin 12
Martin 12
McIntosh 12 wing
Prestia 11 (3w)
Graham 10 (7w, 3i)
Edwards 8 (6i, 2w)
Rioli 4 wing
Higgins 1

Nankervis 13
Balta 1

Notes:
- To allow Lambert to keep his back of the square (then extra general mid) role under the new starting mechanics, Richmond had to rejig things: Lambert initially starts as the 6th back, the 6th back (generally Houli or Short) starts on one wing (albeit as close to your back 50 as is possible under the rules) and sprints to Lambert's now free opponent, and finally your 2nd winger starts as the 6th forward (mainly Edwards in the 1st half and Graham in the 2nd) as sprints to pick up the spare wing (in this game it was often Walsh). If you're wondering why Houli or Short aren't noted, the answer is relatively simple - for roughly 75% of the league the blanket statement of noting the 5 mids works as winger opposes winger after the bounce, for the other 25% (which in the past has included Adelaide, Melbourne, Hawthorn), I'm taking note of who ends up as the winger once the players have sorted themselves into their actual roles. Whilst this game I didn't miss anybody, for alternate set-ups it may not be always possible to pick up who is meant to be the 2nd winger if there are quick clearances/goals to the opposition.

Back