F Butler Riewoldt Higgins
Rioli Lynch Graham
Edwards Lambert Prestia
Houli Vlaustin Short
Broad Astbury Grimes
F Nankervis Martin Cotchin
inter Balta KMc Ross (debut) Weller

Last edited:
Is it just me or do other people notice it but why does Richo praise the opposition and talk down the tigers, if he doesn't want to come across as biased then don't commentate Richmond games, simple. And i will have a shot at him about his comments in general, only comment every now and then, seems he speaks as often as the main commentators. Bobby Skilton barely used to talk when in the box with Richards and Landy.
Interesting. He gets slammed on Twitter after pretty every game as being 100% biased towards Richmond. I for one reckon he's OK.

Having watched parts of last nights Geelong v Collingwood match, I think that Geelong may have discovered the early blueprint to beating the Pies.

The Cats were structured extremely well defensively, which negated the biggest advantage (imo) that the Pies have, speed in the forward line. If Elliot can stay healthy, with De Goey, Stephenson and others like Josh Thomas going through there, that’s a difficult forward line to match up on.

Geelong seemed to structure themselves in such a way that negated the open spaces in front of the ball to not allow the Collingwood forwards to use their pace. Albeit lucky on some occasions, they also did a reasonable job on keeping control of the footy, and not allowing the Pies’ counter attack so dominant at the back end of last season.

My match-ups would be:

Astbury —> Cox
Grimes —> De Goey
Vlastuin —> Elliot
Broad —> Mihocek
Stephenson will be our hardest match-up, and likely Houli or Short gets the nod.

However, if Garthwaite is still lacking some match fitness after Achilles soreness, the match against Collingwood is one where he probably isn’t as required as others. For this reason, I’d bring in Markov or Menadue (I would select the former, which means it’ll be Brandon Ellis) over Garth. Can always swing Balta back if required. Garth to come in round 3 against Giants.

Therefore:
Ins: Markov
Out: Rance

Some thought to Baker in for Butler as well. But I’m prepared to give Butler one more week.

It’s in the vfl section

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
They mention about 20 players but not Garth, so I''m not sure that he did play. In which case he can't replace Rance. So going to be interesting how they cover the injury. Markov? McIntosh? Balta? I'd move Balta to the backline, and bring Ross into the midfield. That way Rance is covered like for like, we remove excess height out of the fwd line, and boost our midfield stocks.

Last edited:
Having watched parts of last nights Geelong v Collingwood match, I think that Geelong may have discovered the early blueprint to beating the Pies.

The Cats were structured extremely well defensively, which negated the biggest advantage (imo) that the Pies have, speed in the forward line. If Elliot can stay healthy, with De Goey, Stephenson and others like Josh Thomas going through there, that’s a difficult forward line to match up on.

Geelong seemed to structure themselves in such a way that negated the open spaces in front of the ball to not allow the Collingwood forwards to use their pace. Albeit lucky on some occasions, they also did a reasonable job on keeping control of the footy, and not allowing the Pies’ counter attack so dominant at the back end of last season.

My match-ups would be:

Astbury —> Cox
Grimes —> De Goey
Vlastuin —> Elliot
Broad —> Mihocek
Stephenson will be our hardest match-up, and likely Houli or Short gets the nod.

However, if Garthwaite is still lacking some match fitness after Achilles soreness, the match against Collingwood is one where he probably isn’t as required as others. For this reason, I’d bring in Markov or Menadue (I would select the former, which means it’ll be Brandon Ellis) over Garth. Can always swing Balta back if required. Garth to come in round 3 against Giants.

Therefore:

Some thought to Baker in for Butler as well. But I’m prepared to give Butler one more week.
Stephenson will beat himself based on last night.

In: Markov or Brandon Ellis
Thought it looked like we could use another runner against the blues. Garthwaite needs some game time and Noah could go back if really needed.
Does anyone know if we are able to replace Rance on our list at the mid year draft? I really wish we rookied Marsh instead of Chol or Aarts (nothing against them just think it suited our list needs more even if Rance didn’t get injured)

Reckon we need our leaders to stand up a bit more and act as runners on the field. In the third quarter we kept doing the the same stupid s**t coming out of the backline which was why we let them back in. We needed Cotchin or similar to get us to slow the game down and hold possession.
Dimma also mentioned that we had some breakdown that meant we had one less player around the ball than we should have. That’s hard for the players to notice and harder for them to find where the spare player is, so the message needs to come from the coaches box, but we need to ensure our system of getting the message to all the players needs to be rectified.

What’s happened to Shai? I’d rather put games into him than Weller tbh. He didn’t even get a jlt game??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My match-ups would be:

Astbury —> Cox
Grimes —> De Goey
Vlastuin —> Elliot
Broad —> Mihocek

Therefore:

I agree with your thoughts on pies forwardline. It’s not tall other than Cox so we’d be stupid to bring in an underdone tall for the sake of replacing like for like. I reckon a tough lockdown mid can take on Thomas or Stephenson - and I’d almost give Weller the job and bring in Baker or Ellis up the ground.

Lynch is not only a great player but he brings the hunger to achieve team success.
I remember the quote by Djokovic at the Australian Open: "I can still improve."
It was great to see Ross watching the boys sing the song after the match, absorbing everything, showing respect for the guernsey.

Nank’s crumb and goal from the Balta roost was my fav thing of the night.
Last year and 2017 finals our small forwards was our A game and pretty much only setup.
Now if Balta rotates from backline to Ruck and Nank goes forward we can slip into a completely different structure in about 10 seconds.
That is a huge weapon. I don’t think Darcy Moore could handle Lynch and if it at times it’s an arial contest and Nank and Jack are down there as well....
Collywobbles back 6 would be getting a little twitchy I reckon.

Back