Votes: 137 56.8%
  • Jack Graham

Votes: 93 38.6%
  • Nathan Broad

Votes: 6 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

People wanting Weller dropped are crazy. He had 15 touches with 93% efficiency and kicked a goal. Did his job and has earned another game. First game at a new club, in front of his biggest ever crowd. Sounds like Dimma has him in long term plans too.

Butler was less effective but I’d keep him in because of his 7 tackles, unless George played well enough to genuinely deserve a spot against Collingwood.

Butler does a lot of stuff which is not reflected in the stats, like Dimma says.
I remember JB said Butler's tackle stats are elite.
Would prefer Astbury to deputise for Rance.
Battle will be won and lost in the midfield.
Pendlebury had surgery will be a soft target.
Varcoe collected Prestia last year, we need payback.

Last edited:
My thoughts:

- hard to be positive with Rance’s injury. It’s deflating. You don’t replace him either. We will have to do it by committee and whomever they bring (I assume Garth) will have to forge their own way as a collective defensive unit.
- Credit to Carlton where it’s due. They outplayed us in Q2 and Q3. I felt they got back into the game off the back their young guys which was highly impressive. Cripps will be the best player in the comp in a few years imo, Walsh looks like a Scully-Pendlebury-Cotchin hybrid, and Dow looks the goods too.
- Our structures were poor - especially defensively in Q2 and Q3. In contrast, Carlton’s were great. They got numbers to the fall of the ball and somehow contained the corridor. Thus their ball movement was damaging. When they went boundary side, they used the overlap extremely well.
- Carlton are a better side than last year, and for mine you can start to see the makings of how they’ll be a top side in a few seasons.
- Balta did some nice things. Got caught a few times with inexperience. Will undoubtedly be better for the run. It’s been said before, think you have to give him a block of games to get him up to speed come what may. Rance going down probably puts the brakes on any Astbury move to a part time ruckmen. Garth (JLT1 18 v Dons), Balta and Maria can all pinch hit in ruck depending on who comes in for Rance.
- Graham was fantastic. Didn’t really play the defensive role as much as in games past, and one reason I think we gave up the corridor too much in Q2 and Q3. Lambert seemed to play this role a bit and was good, albeit got sucked towards the ball on a few occasions. One things I never really realised until tonight was how smart a ball user he is.
- Shedda was huge. In a game where we were so fumbly and unclean, he was the opposite. Found space where there was none, delivered the ball with creativity and got us out of more than a few perilous positions.
- Nank was massive as well. Thought Phillips could hold his head high, but Nank took the chocolates.
- Lynch was obviously rusty. We had a huge issue moving the ball knsode F50 imo, which to a large degree is probably a result of Balta, Lynch and Weller all new to the forward line and the testing problems that go with that. Also our mantra of ‘lock it in’. Can’t think of how many entries inside forward 50 we hit a lead up target. Carlton did push back a heap, but still something that will need to improve moving forward.
- Butler was poor again tonight. Similar to JLT2 in that he seemed to be more in the game, but wasted some of his opportunities. He stays for mine, albeit on the precipice of a slippery slope.
- Has KMac taken his game up to another level? Thought as a link player he was massive last night. Ran all day, and one some crucial one v one battles
- Thought Weller was serviceable too. He was picked up and pick in the team to play a role. Put pressure on and play as a high half forward. 15 possessions, 1 goal and at a high efficiency. Can’t ask for a better return than that in your first game at a new club.
- When we were getting overrun, credit must go to the skipper who was immense in leading through action. Higgo who has constantly stood up when we’re playing poorly, aforementioned Shedda and the stoic Vlastuin who held the dam wall a little bit.
- thought Dusty (admittedly picked up in Q4), Jack, Short, Rioli we’re not at their best tonight.

All in all, we blew the cobwebs out, some players stood up when required, Carlton are a better team than last year, we were poor in stages structurally but we lost Rance for - likely for the season - and my life now feels like it has lost all meaning.

Good win. Did what we need to. Came out firing then put the cue in the rack at 1/4 time and brought it back out in the last quarter for a little bit.
In the first and last quarter (with no rance) which is when we actually decided to turn up, Carlton only kicked 1 goal while we kicked 9.

Was not worried at all during the match except for Rance, and although its heartbreaking, I think we can overcome the hurdle and still contend for another Premiership.

Also Jack Higgins is ******* amazing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well that was disappointing but also not unexpected. I’ve had a s**t feeling we were due for some bad injuries and there we are.
Hoping we can sort the forward line out soon it was bloody tough watching Jack play like a fish out of water. I’m sure they’ll figure it out but it’ll be some hard yards for a while.
Not an ideal time to be playing the pies.

Showed what we're capable of in the first and last quarters when able to get a bit of a run on. Carlton to their credit didn't fold like previous years and stood up and made a game of it.

For mine I'd bring in Markov for Rance and shuffle Broad into Rances role until Garthwaite is ready. Astbury takes the number 1 forward Broad to play on the second and Grimes the 3rd. Vlastuin also helps by rolling off and providing support.

Outside that no changes.

Player wise I love that Graham has had the shackles lifted and is allowed to hunt the footy instead of just being a defensive stopper. Higgins will be a gun by seasons end and has clearly spent time at the Titch Edwards school of knock ons. Weller was serviceable and stays until Caddy comes good. McIntosh looked much cleaner than normal and how good does Nank look pushing forward.

BTW did anyone else have Rance flashbacks watching Balta run around last night?

The Rance injury is disappointing but diesn’t worry me.
The midfield is our biggest worry and will see us fall well short at the point end.
Could get a flogging next week.

I have no faith in the 1 key defender we have available in the 2's

Conditions played a huge part in how the game was played, it was as if we were at metricon
Our players were dropping easy chest marks. Skills looked poor. When Rance got injured he was falconed. Lynch looked stuffed at the end. Balta wasn't great but he allowed Nank to get fwd and kick goals. Balta/Garth for Rance.

We shook off some of the off season rust and won despite playing 2 quarters.

Rance gone is huge. But we have KPD coverage.

There is the potential for our midfield to step up to another level with Higgins and Graham and Rioli coming on more. (Riloi was poor last night)

See how we go against Collingwood. Our best will take them. But we've got to stop relying on Tross now.

Back