• 41: Mabior Chol

• 43: Derek Eggmolesse-Smith

• 44: Sydney Stack

• 50: Marlion Pickett

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was that just before half time? The guy got hit in the guts, it generally takes a few minutes for someone to get over that. Seriously people are just looking for excuses now. Move on, there were other players that deserve ire more then Rioli last night.
Fair enough, that’s how you saw it, I saw it differently. I’m not one of the Rioli haters for that matter, I just wouldn’t be dropping Gerorge for one really poor game when we struggled to get it in our forward half, Rioli either for that matter.
Eggs probably needs to be dropped, although you could give him one more go to see how he responds to such a poor game. (Otherwise the obvious out for Astbury/Houli)
Caddy should be dropped just on principle for such bad discipline when it counted most.
Ross just doesn’t seem to have been up to it this year and is the obvious out for Cotch.
Stack showed glimpses last night but not consistent enough ATM. (Higgins)

I’d love it if Richmond has 22-11 free kicks just so I can say “the free kick count doesn’t matter” or “free kicks don’t always have to be equal” too.

I’m saving that line for the next time we have a positive differential of above 10. Well, whenever that is considering that Round 12 of 2015 against West Coast was the last time we had a free kick differential of above +10, with Hawthorn in Round 7 of 2016 being +10 exactly (29-19). The umpiring for us is probably the worst at AO.

Last time each club had a +10 count

ClubYearRound+10 frees since 2016 R7
P.A.2020116
Coll20201012
Adel2020714
G.C.202057
GWS202053
W.B.2020314
N.M.202029
Syd202024
Frem2019225
Geel2019173
Ess20191610
Bris201976
W.C.20182010
Carl2018187
St.K2018183
Haw201721
Melb20167-
Rich20167-

It's a chronic issue, not that I think we were overly hard done by yesterday.

Last time each club had a +10 count

ClubYearRound+10 frees since 2016 R7
P.A.2020116
Coll20201012
Adel2020714
G.C.202057
GWS202053
W.B.2020314
N.M.202029
Syd202024
Frem2019225
Geel2019173
Ess20191610
Bris201976
W.C.20182010
Carl2018187
St.K2018183
Haw201721
Melb20167-
Rich20167-

It's a chronic issue, not that I think we were overly hard done by yesterday.
Yes it is a chronic issue. I feel like it is also particularly bad for us at AO specifically. There are a couple of large differentials there but all in all it's just annoying even if we win most of the games that we lose the free kick count. It ruins the spectacle.

First time I can recall Hardwick specifically criticise one of his players in post-match like he did with Caddy. Usually avoids singling out players at all costs.

I’m with Hardwick, i’m getting over our senior blokes doing dumb s**t on and off the ground as well.

If we have just played the best side in the comp, then I think our Premiership odds will increase. I know we are running out of games, but yesterday's game tells me more about where we are, without 6 premiership players and playing at that horrible ground with hometown umpiring. Port should enjoy the moment, as next time we play them, we will beat them easily. Even if we had Cotchin JUST play that last quarter for some leadership, we would have won. Dixon "monstered" a player with lass than 50 games. I was happy with Balta, but Dixon won't have that freedom playing on Astbury. The compose we lacked throughout the game returns with Cotchin, Houli and Edwards. We won't lose midfield dominance with Prestia.

Roast

22-11 Free kick count. Really...
First goal to Port was staging. Time the AFL stepped in and fixed this issue.
Discipline and brain fades in the last quarter.
2 X 4 Day breaks against 2 top sides on their decks...
Eggman and these dinky short kicks not more than 15M putting our defense under pressure.

Toast

Bolton - Getting better each game and will be elite for us
Chol - Glad we stuck with him as he is only starting to realize his potential.
Jack - STILL getting smashed but fronts up every week and he is still one of the smartest in the comp
We hopefully don't have to play on that crap ground again !

I'm not pissed at losing that game. Port and media can celebrate as if Port just won the GF, but reality will set in and I know we will have no trouble beating Port with our best side.

Out - Eggman, Castagna, Ross
In - Cotchin, Houli, Higgins

Pickett is due for a rest.
We need to see RCD soon so we can see what he can give at least. I think he will be a better player at AFL level than the 2s
I always have a chuckle when a poster says that they think a player will be better in the 1s than in the 2s. It was said about Griff, Post and others - but I am yet to see it come true. What I have seen is players start to play better in the 2s and then continue that development/improvement in the 1s - but never to consistently play better in the 1s than the 2s.

Not surprised we got rolled on the weekend. 4 day turnaround from good win vs Lions, Port are a good side and were always going to be hard to beat on their own deck.

We have a lot of high end talent out, and in these kinds of games it's going to be the difference. I'm pleased with how the young second tier players have stepped up in the interim and nothing is to be taken away from them as it's largely because of them that we still have a decent season on our hands.

Looking at the run home, we need 3 - 4 wins to secure a finals birth. 5-6 to lock away top 4. This side could win it from anywhere but home ground advantage will be big for those in QLD, WA & SA (Brisbane, West Coast & Port Adelaide).

These are my likely changes from now until the grand final ;)

Prestia > Ross
Cotchin > Caddy
Houli > Eggles
Edwards > Stack
Astbury > MacIntosh (depending on team match ups - Balta doing well but Astbury still very important for our back 6)
Higgins > Arts/Rioli (I want Dan to find form)
Nankervis > Soldo (depending on form, CHOL has to stay as he's dangerous up forward)

Edwards not flying up was a disastrous decision. I still can’t quite understand why he didn’t fly up for a month at least and then return to Melbourne.
I think it may have been because:
The baby could have arrived early.
Cases could have started occurring in SE Qld which could then have complicated any efforts he made to urgently get back for the birth.
And/or he may have wanted to provide the best support possible to his partner in the lead-up to their first birth together.

Fair enough, that’s how you saw it, I saw it differently. I’m not one of the Rioli haters for that matter, I just wouldn’t be dropping Gerorge for one really poor game when we struggled to get it in our forward half, Rioli either for that matter.
Eggs probably needs to be dropped, although you could give him one more go to see how he responds to such a poor game. (Otherwise the obvious out for Astbury/Houli)
Caddy should be dropped just on principle for such bad discipline when it counted most.
Ross just doesn’t seem to have been up to it this year and is the obvious out for Cotch.
Stack showed glimpses last night but not consistent enough ATM. (Higgins)
Sorry if I seemed a bit curt. I just get sick of the Rioli hate, especially after a game where he doesn’t deserve it. He can be a lot better than he is at the moment, I’m not denying it, it just gets tiring is all.

I agree with everything you said in this post by the way. Caddy is the one I’m really pissed off at though, he can be so much better than he was last night, what makes it worse is that last night was a night where we could have used a mature head, especially in the fourth quarter and our senior players should have been that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out: George, Egg, Ross
In: Higgins, Houli, Cotchin

If Houli isn't ready bring in Graham and move Stack to half back again.

George needs a spell, he needs to stop taking on every single tackle. Drives me nuts! He takes the game on which is great on one hand, but sometimes he has a quick hand ball option and rather then take it, he will take on one or two tacklers and either gets pinged or torches the footy. He is out of form big time for mine.

Egg had an absolute stinker. Not sure his footy IQ is up to it, great user of the footy but under pressure its questionable.

Didn’t say he was great but there were bigger problems than him last night. Our second string midfield wasn’t up to the job last night.
not sure why they didn’t play Graham, would have been more useful at centre bounces.
graham was dropped coz his form and output were poor he will get a chance to redeem as poor efforts/compressed games/costly mistakes means a couple of egg, ross, cads and george will be demoted or rotated.

Caddy was best as a medium forward and foil to jack. With both Lynch AND Chol he doesn't have a spot there, he's too slow to play on the wing and doesn't get enough of his own ball to play in the middle.

I like Caddy, I just can't figure out what to do with him.
finals will see him and his toughness and versatility will bring the best out of him.

George needs a spell, he needs to stop taking on every single tackle. Drives me nuts! He takes the game on which is great on one hand, but sometimes he has a quick hand ball option and rather then take it, he will take on one or two tacklers and either gets pinged or torches the footy. He is out of form big time for mine.

This absolutely kills me, and I think it's not just george but a fair few blokes think they're dusty, and tbh even dusty is over ambitious with some of his attempted tackle breaks. The reward for successfully breaking a tackle is clear so I don't mind the odd risky one which doesn't come off, but it just happens way too much with us. When you have the handball on there's just no excuse for trying to be a hero

Also on the other side of broken tackles, we seemed to miss heaps yesterday which was annoying and costly

This absolutely kills me, and I think it's not just george but a fair few blokes think they're dusty, and tbh even dusty is over ambitious with some of his attempted tackle breaks. The reward for successfully breaking a tackle is clear so I don't mind the odd risky one which doesn't come off, but it just happens way too much with us. When you have the handball on there's just no excuse for trying to be a hero

Also on the other side of broken tackles, we seemed to miss heaps yesterday which was annoying and costly
Any idea on what we’re the averages in age and games played for the two teams last night

Worst defence in the league at the moment. Port scored at will every time they went forward. Pitiful defending cost us the game and probably a top 4 spot

That’s surely the best Port have played in a long time. Their pressure around the ball was immense and they stuck some fierce tackles. We really got smashed around the ball.

That being said we were right in the game until Dusty and Caddy lost their heads, I was yelling the same thing at my screen as what Dimma was in the box when Caddy wouldn’t get out of the **** way.

We still have another level to go to but proud of the players for fighting hard.

That was a hugely entertaining game though, full credit to port.
Being as undermanned as we were against a side in great nick on their home deck and be ahead at 3/4/time after they’d thrown everything at us but the kitchen sink is a great credit to our style of footy. There’s lots we can take away , but a few learnings too , we gotta get some ball winning grunt into the middle otherwise these kinda games will set in , they gave themselves an overwhelming chance to win coz of their midfield dominance . We barely broached i50 final Q , 2-3 times I think. Realise we were tired but there was a surplus their way all game
Lambo , you can’t be a reg senior player and have a 6p game , u just can’t , George had1p to 3/4 time, completely unacceptable our long tail was the measure of the tape yesterday

Not surprised we got rolled on the weekend. 4 day turnaround from good win vs Lions, Port are a good side and were always going to be hard to beat on their own deck.

We have a lot of high end talent out, and in these kinds of games it's going to be the difference. I'm pleased with how the young second tier players have stepped up in the interim and nothing is to be taken away from them as it's largely because of them that we still have a decent season on our hands.

Looking at the run home, we need 3 - 4 wins to secure a finals birth. 5-6 to lock away top 4. This side could win it from anywhere but home ground advantage will be big for those in QLD, WA & SA (Brisbane, West Coast & Port Adelaide).

These are my likely changes from now until the grand final ;)

Prestia > Ross
Cotchin > Caddy
Houli > Eggles
Edwards > Stack
Astbury > MacIntosh (depending on team match ups - Balta doing well but Astbury still very important for our back 6)
Higgins > Arts/Rioli (I want Dan to find form)
Nankervis > Soldo (depending on form, CHOL has to stay as he's dangerous up forward)
I’d have Pickett out before MacIntosh, he’s at least able to play the wing position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back