Votes: 17 7.6%
  • Jack Higgins

Votes: 21 9.4%
  • Brandon Ellis

Votes: 26 11.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Have we won an AFL game with Bolton in the side? He never fails to disappoint at AFL level but happy to be proven wrong!
He's only played 9 games. 2 losses against GWS away. Really unlucky in his debut game in 2017 with the disallowed goal and the non call on Jeremy Cameron overstepping the mark.

Last edited:

What we need is the player to execute the game plan, if they play like they did against Collingwood then GWS is going to give us a hiding.

The lopsided marks stat is a byproduct of not winning the ball.

When we lose our appetite for the contest, the opposition win the ball easily. When our pressure isn't there the opposition can simply take their time and find free targets and that's where this keeping off game comes into play.

When our pressure is there teams can't play that game style because they don't get the time to find targets with clean disposal.

I don't think teams find a way to beat our game style. The only way they can beat it is when we don't perform. When the pressure is there, we're not normally beatable.

We've just gotta get that hunger back.

We are everyone's grand final.

I like this. I hope all their stars are in because it really will become a sink or swim game. Either we go to Spotless Stadium and show we can compete with the best while we are not full strength like West Coast did and send ripples of fear through the competition, or we will fail and be exposed for our lack of depth and belief without our leaders in Grimes, Riewoldt and Rance.

Sink or swim boys!

I know Dusty has off field issues that are impacting his on field performance but can’t help but feeling he just needs to go back to the basics. Win contested football and take the best option -if that means giving it off to a teammate in a better position then do it.

He’s just trying to create opportunities out of every possession, that aren’t there. He did that in 2017 to great effect but for one reason or another he’s not in that form atm so back to basics

When we lose our appetite for the contest, the opposition win the ball easily. When our pressure isn't there the opposition can simply take their time and find free targets and that's where this keeping off game comes into play.

When our pressure is there teams can't play that game style because they don't get the time to find targets with clean disposal.

I don't think teams find a way to beat our game style. The only way they can beat it is when we don't perform. When the pressure is there, we're not normally beatable.

I suspect the root cause is we’re not fit enough. Reckon the boys were held back a little in the preseason. Feels like there was a perception the team peaked too early last year in terms of peak conditioning and as such aren’t as advanced as they were last year. I say this based on some public comments by Dimma and our inability to compete contest to contest or shut down the pies game plan - which we could do normally when we’re on top of our game.

Hope Dimma hasn’t been playing with fire given the tough draw we have on the first part of the fixture. If GWS pull out the same game style against us and we cant compete I’ll have serious questions about our off-season preparation.

thats exactly right - its not the 'theyve been worked out' bullshit - we determine how we play not anyone else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's only played 9 games. 2 losses against GWS away. Really unlucky in his debut game in 2017 with the disallowed goal and the non call on Jeremy Cameron overstepping the mark.
I reckon he played in the loss to Sydney in 2017 at the G because he lit it up in the first quarter.

Townsend really shits all over Weller so I find that a strange one. Bolton played well so straight in for Butler.
Then we have the injured and suspended to cover. The number one thing I really hope to see more than anything though is a different approach going forward. Need to lower the eyes because for some reason we have stopped doing it and just bomb it in every time these days. It started creeping in late last season and it’s very predictable and frustrating.. At our best we had a really good mix of forward entries and the rushed kick inside 50 was more on the repeat entries creating pressure, lately it’s the initial entries.
i prefer Moore over townso as he has good aerial ability, townso struggled in his senior ops last year big time , the more games he got the worse he played. he's not the last guy id select but not the first either. time to give jock ross a go, many other sides have thrown chances to last years draftees and have gone surprisingly well. we need another mid to emerge from the pack to give us some versalitlity and drop some passengers when required

Some of the players I want dropped have been like this since the JLT though.

It's not about the marking record itself. I care because getting smashed in this stat is a feature of every single thumping we copped since the introduction of our pressure game in 2017. The domination in uncontested and contested marks is actually an effective way of counteracting our game style.

Adelaide 2017 - got outmarked 125 to 58 marks. We got done by 76 points
St Kilda 2017 - got outmarked 65 to 38 marks in the first half. Scoreline was 92-10 in that period. Scoreline pulled back in when we got on top of our aerial game.
Adelaide 2018 - got outmarked 106 to 52 marks. We got done by 36 points
West Coast 2018 - got outmarked 111 to 64 marks. We got done by 47 points
Collingwood 2018 PF - got outmarked 107 to 58 marks. We got done by 39 points
Collingwood 2019 - got outmarked 174 to 78 marks. Got done by 44 points.

Sides that thrashed us in the last 2 years have been playing aerial keepings off and we had no answer. Losing the contested possessions then makes it worse because we do not get much of the ball in the contests, yet their players keep it away from us after they gain a contested possession. Here are times when we stopped these sides from going uncontested or stepped up our contested game and the results that followed:

- In the 2017 GF, Adelaide had 92 marks to our 70. Not a huge enough differential. Also beaten in contested marks but no problem because we smashed them in contested possessions 170-140. Beat them by 48 points. When we played them at the MCG last year, it was their 96 marks to our 93 marks. Again, pretty close. We won contested possessions too and beat them by 47 points.

- The first time we played Collingwood in Round 6 of last year, we conceded 105 t0 75 marks. However, we won the contested marks battle and smashed them in contested possessions (170-140). So, we won by 43 points. The second time in Round 19 the marks were 86-82 our way and we won the contested marks as well. Contested possessions weren't bad either. So, we won by 28 points. They have since turned up their uncontested game and we can't do anything because we do not have the height to stop them.

- West Coast in Round 3 2017 were getting on top of the marks in the first half with a differential in their favour of 64 to 36. Luckily for us, they were extremely inaccurate, scoring 5.13 to our 5.6. We then flipped the script in the 3rd quarter, outworking them 21-8 and then finishing off with a relatively even differential in the last quarter to win. Rain was a factor in helping us flip the script though, but nevertheless we ended up winning by 11 points.

In short, the 174 to 78 differential we conceded in marks against Collingwood is absolutely a concern, because this is how we are essentially defeated in the past. Losing the marks count is not necessarily a concern with every single team. It's a concern with the aforementioned teams though. We need more players that are able to win the contests and are putting more effort in to nullify the aerial game of teams like Adelaide (at AO), West Coast and Collingwood because they exploit this whenever they beat us. No point having a smaller lineup because they will spread us. West Coast did this to GWS yesterday too (146-104 marks with contested marks being 20-8) in order to cruise to a 52 point win, so I think it is in our interest to get in a taller side especially with Mumford set to come in and make a bit of changes in order to do this.
I've said it several times that few sides can exploit that high possie game so effectively, its fraught with danger if you don't maintain a high disposal %efficiency , 81% is off the charts relative to AFL average 72%. I have no doubt we failed at selection in being smaller rather than taller. Balta most certainly wouldn't have been the difference however grundy dominance was simply not challenged, even Jack disrupted him a couple of times and we surprisingly won a clearance. we need to find a couple of our youngsters that will stand up , markov was a disappointment , perhaps he'd go better on a wing , he went into his shell and showed none of his run that he's capable of. I look forward to selection this Thursday night

Consulted the number 1 guru in the temple tonight and he gave me the 22 numbers
For selection against the giants he is never ever wrong
From the backline
01 --- 12 --- 42
14 ----35 ---- 10
33 ----04-----31
17 --- 15 ----23
13 ---- 19 ---36
25 ----09----03
-----------------------
Inter - 48--- 11 ---34 ---38
Emerg- 07- 29--- 27--- 40