Votes: 21 9.4%
  • Brandon Ellis

Votes: 26 11.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Out: Riewoldt, Grimes, Weller

In: Balta, Garthwaite, Caddy

Markov and Ellis obviously deserve to get dropped, but who comes in for them? Menadue? Would he be any better?

Also don't fancy bringing in debutants against GWS. Ross should and will get a chance soon though.

Not sure about this decline stuff.
Only THREE games ago we went into a Preliminary Final as favorites, but unfortunately had a massive hiccup, 2 games ago was the standard Carlton round 1 grand final game, and we have lost '15, '16, '18 and now '19 round 2 games.
Rance is a massive loss, plus "minor injuries" and a suspension are forcing coaching staff to readjust. Four to five weeks is a better time frame to panic.

The game against Collingwood was a debacle. They have our number and their ball usage is 2nd to none. They ran rings around the midfielders and small forwards. the hunting in numbers works well against teams who dont spread the ball as well. Pies just hit target after target after target and were a fraction quikcer all night. but that adds up and leads to the team chasing tail for 120 minutes. Normally the team can handle this for about 3.5 quarters and the other team falters and that's when they run over the top. The Pies didn't relent though and refused to give up the ball.

The majority of the team to have 0-1 tackle means that we were too slow. you add 1-2 tackles per person and you are looking at around 30 more tackles for the game, meaning about 30 less initial possessions, which in turn leads to 30 more marks/ possessions downfield - so around 50-60 less possessions for the pies.

Had the team stuck more tackles, the result looks completely different, and it would have been a closer game.

This week will be very similar - the team needs to stick the tackles and turn the ball over or risk another game where the giants play against witches hats.

Outs: Grimes, Reiwoldt,
Ins: Garth, Balta

I don't think wholesale changes are needed - the smalls forwards are on notice though (except Rioli and higlet) and if Dusty is not right, maybe it will be time to give him a week or 2 off to visit his dad again. They can't allow him to not be 100%.

#gotiges

Yeah our midfield is a issue no doubt.We see the big names there and think it's super, but the other players of late not having the same impact at all.Winning the ball clearances and even pressure and tackling.

Pretty much the biggest issue is that we’ve had one too many outside vs inside while Dusty has been getting less inside and doing less dirty work.

It’s the only way I can explain why such a quick team (let’s face it, we had a lot of decent runners out there during that time period) can look so damn far away from the contest all the time.

Think the new rules have amplified this issue for us though due to not having that multi tier web available to us with 6 6 6.

Hopefully once injuries settle and we adjust to rules Coach Dimma and the team figure it out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The game against Collingwood was a debacle. They have our number and their ball usage is 2nd to none. They ran rings around the midfielders and small forwards. the hunting in numbers works well against teams who dont spread the ball as well. Pies just hit target after target after target and were a fraction quikcer all night. but that adds up and leads to the team chasing tail for 120 minutes. Normally the team can handle this for about 3.5 quarters and the other team falters and that's when they run over the top. The Pies didn't relent though and refused to give up the ball.

The majority of the team to have 0-1 tackle means that we were too slow. you add 1-2 tackles per person and you are looking at around 30 more tackles for the game, meaning about 30 less initial possessions, which in turn leads to 30 more marks/ possessions downfield - so around 50-60 less possessions for the pies.

Had the team stuck more tackles, the result looks completely different, and it would have been a closer game.

This week will be very similar - the team needs to stick the tackles and turn the ball over or risk another game where the giants play against witches hats.

Outs: Grimes, Reiwoldt,
Ins: Garth, Balta

I don't think wholesale changes are needed - the smalls forwards are on notice though (except Rioli and higlet) and if Dusty is not right, maybe it will be time to give him a week or 2 off to visit his dad again. They can't allow him to not be 100%.

#gotiges
I think we didn't stick the tackles because we have a couple of blokes who can't or won't go atm- Presti at times doesn't go defensively and Dusty is moving very slowly for whatever reason.

Pies always had one extra as a result and got out. Our brand is team defense or it's useless

I think someone like McIntosh or Markov should tag Whitfield. He's easily their most dangerous player and will tear us to shreds like he did last year if we let him run free

Because he needs a rest, which is the point. Rucks dont like defending either.
I get the "rucks don't like defending" (although I think that's a personal feeling, not a positional feeling) but Why would a defender need to work harder than a forward? If we had a lazy ruck play forward we would be deriding him for being useless up forward.

I am not really sold on a ruck playing back but I haven't really seen a reason why they can't. I know not many do (Jackson Trengove & Jordan Roughead may be the only ones off the top of my head) but I just don't see how a certain position is stopped from playing back rather than a certain player.

Back