Autopsy Roast & Toast Round 23 vs Brisbane, changes for Qualifying Final vs Brisbane

who was in the best for the Tigers vs Brisbane

• David Astbury

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • Nathan Broad

Votes: 15 5.5%
  • Dylan Grimes

Votes: 83 30.5%
  • Bachar Houli

Votes: 109 40.1%
  • Nick Vlastuin

Votes: 244 89.7%
  • Jayden Short

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • Brandon Ellis

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • Dion Prestia

Votes: 192 70.6%
  • Josh Caddy

Votes: 33 12.1%
  • Daniel Rioli

Votes: 14 5.1%
  • Trent Cotchin

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Kane Lambert

Votes: 22 8.1%
  • Shai Bolton

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Tom Lynch

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jack Riewoldt

Votes: 129 47.4%
  • Ivan Soldo

Votes: 58 21.3%
  • Shane Edwards

Votes: 33 12.1%
  • Dustin Martin

Votes: 209 76.8%
  • Jason Castagna

• Liam Baker

Votes: 67 24.6%
  • Jack Graham

• Noah Balta

Votes: 3 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
they scored a massive 55 points and most of those were off the back of zorko and mctuggage plays. neale did nothing

I was thinking more about this before. None of their forwards really troubled us. Cameron is their most threatening but covering smalls is what we do best. I thought both our mids and forwards were down on the pressure stuff. Clamp down a bit harder on their mids. I know we don't really run tags but plan a bit more for defending clearances and Neale, and like today I don't see how they can kick a score that can win a final. Their forwards would need to pull one out of the bag. Where as we've got upside in that we didn't play the way we normally do.

Jan 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, PAOK
Does nank and soldo work? Is it a risk to try it in a QF? This is what worries me.

It's a good question and something that they will consider heading into the finals.
I think Soldo has been good enough to not be dropped but obviously the issue is that both he and Nank are predominately ruckman. Nank is a little more flexible, being more athletic but I'm not sure we're willing to play Jack, Lynch and Nank for large spells in the forward line together. I say Nank because I don't think Soldo offers much as a forward.

They may say to Nank, you've missed a lot of footy we have to go with the match hardened options, with Balta/Chol battling it out for the number 2 ruck spot. Although if Toby is fit it's hard to see the MC leaving him out

theflea

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 16, 2010
victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Wouldn’t worry much about Neale but pay closer attention to McCluggage who was damaging.

Probably no change except to stop mucking around with it so much. I get we handball but sometimes we just need to get it in long to our big guys.

Tom Lynch didn’t have his best game.

They can’t handle Jack and Tom.

Vlaustin was BoG for mine.

Classic Richmond belt them and then stop.

Watch the commentators write off the first quarter like it wasn’t a part of the game and say how good the lions were. Some costly turnovers overusing on the half back flank.
******* short needs to go. Panic merchant of the highest order.

biaseddustyfan

|17🏆|18🏆|19🏆|20🏆|21🏆|22🏆|23🏆|24🏆|25🏆|
May 15, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Dusty
if we actually cared about neale today we would've sent cotch to the middle for more than 5 mins. dusty also hung out the back after quarter time. cruising and not wanting to give too much away. 10 mins of trying in the 4th was all it took to get the margin back up

theflea

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 16, 2010
victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Short was bloody ordinary today. Kicking was atrocious
Posters talk about about Ellis being soft, he is a diamond compared to Short. every time he gets the ball under pressure he shits the bed and disposes of the ball poorly and either turns it over or puts a team mate under pressure.

I don’t think Brisbane can take much away from that loss. They smashed us in the middle, dominated our forwards and still lost by 4 goals.

They’ve got two weeks to figure out how to effectively enter our back half (good luck). And we’ve got two weeks to get our small forwards firing and applying pressure (it’s finals, it comes with the territory).

theflea

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 16, 2010
victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
What I learnt is that the Lions are the real deal and will be no easy beats come finals. They finished on top for a reason - whatever anyone thinks of their softer draw they still won a tonne of impressive games leading up to it (Port, GWS on the road and the Cats/Dogs at home recently) I wasn't really a believer but after today they are definitely going to contend.

The biggest problem they pose to us is that they can match us in tackling intensity and pressure, they love the contest just as much as us and I reckon they've taken a leaf out our book over recent years. I am concerned about Short/Castagna/Broad and these types over there in high intensity, pressure games against quality opponents. We'll need to be at our best.
Don't put Broad in that category, he is/was great today. The other 2 I agree. Broad covered the other 2 defenders brilliantly today, hard and tough.

biaseddustyfan

|17🏆|18🏆|19🏆|20🏆|21🏆|22🏆|23🏆|24🏆|25🏆|
May 15, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Dusty
Shai only messed up once today early on when he tried held onto it for a bit to long... every other possession he was selfless

ggets judged harshly because he is a young player and vaguely resembles kyrgios

doesn't do any more selfish stuff than anyone else in the team

Feb 25, 2007
FNQ
AFL Club
Richmond
Great way to finish a home and away season, our most enjoyable and satisfying this century for mine. About 10-11 weeks ago I noticed the bookies had us out to 13/1 for the flag and thought they were being a tad generous.

Great to have Cotch back, both he and Dusty are looking really sharp and focused, all the mids look fit and set to hold their own over the next month, even the immortal Duncan Kellaway would struggle to prevent Prestia getting leather poisoning lately.

Soldo’s killing it, get on him for the Norm Smith at 1000/1 the rate he’s improving game to game. :moustache:;)

Defence is just beautiful to watch, some of Vlaustin’s recent games have been virtually flawless and he was BOG again today for mine. He didn’t stand out the most, but there’s no more important part of the ground to have a bloke just turning everything he goes near to gold. Surely he’ll go close in the JD this year and deserves AA along with half our backline.

Liked Baker’s game today and recently, he’s got a lot of football smarts and he’ll overcome his size and play a lot of games I suspect.

Forward line is leaking more than we’d like but the form of the big boys is very heartening, you feel either or both of them are on the verge of ripping a game apart at the right time of year.

Looking forward to the big one in a fortnight, the GABBA and the Lions are probably as good as it gets for an away final. It will be as close to neutral a crowd as we could hope for and we match up well against them.

I’m glad they’ll take heart out of today’s performance because it’s going to make the shock of finals intensity all the more potent when we hit them with it in a fortnight.

Finally, I’m sure we’ve put a bit of work into it already, but I think it’s long past time we hit Georgie with a more unique set shot goal kicking intervention.

Light up the G at midnight a dozen times over the next month, get David Cloke, Richo and Georgie down there at the 25m mark with a mini skip full of balls and just offend the Football Gods relentlessly night after night until they offer us a bargain.

That they will grant our dearly beloved Georgie the ability to kick every set shot at least as well as the best from the average 10 year old in any given crowd he plays in front of.

You know it could well be worth half a dozen goals over the next month, make it happen Richmond!

Love ya Georgie, keep trying mate. Have you tried aiming 20m left of the left point post and going the barrel? What about a deliberate kick at the bread basket of the bloke on the mark and then you play on and slot it like a gun?

Just askin’...

Go the mighty Tigers, all up I’m feeling as confident as possible going into the finals raffle. It will take something freakish to beat us and odds are against that happening two years running.

chriso11

Premiership Player
Aug 18, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Only team that really worries me is the Dogs, and we will probably get them if we can’t do the Lions in Brissie. Dogs are looking sharp, on form and timing their run to perfection. They still have a squad full of flag winners (mind you, no Boyd to play the game of his life this time, although they do have Naughton). They will push us if we play them

tropicaltiger

🏆2017 🏆2019 🏆2020
Jan 4, 2002
cairns
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Snakes
I didn’t really know who to look for with Neal, but didn’t notice him. Was that one of the most ineffectual 50 disposal games?
according to smats - 4 players from 4 teams had 35 or more possessions or more, yes 4 only, out of 18 teams. rightly or wrongly lets call them 'ball hogs'....surprise surprise, all 4 teams lost by lots.

chriso11

Premiership Player
Aug 18, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
All our smaller forwards needs some serious set shot goal kicking practice. Bolton needs to aim at the left point post, all his kicks go right. George needs to shut his f***g eyes, can't do any worse and Rioli, can't remember the last time he converted a set shot. Unless they improve it could cost us a finals win.
Your forgetting Lambert. He plays pretty much as a small forward and nails everything. Thank goodness for Lambo

RFCGloryJC

Publicity for Ricky Nixon and the St Kilda Girl
Jun 13, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Inter Milan, Real Madrid 👑
It seemed to me from Damien's comments Nank won't be playing this year.
Adductor is serious, would be excruciating pain flexing in ruck contests.
Brisbane is most effective and dangerous when they move the ball along the skinny side flank like they did in the 3Q.
They especially skirt the boundary at the Gabba.
Something we must watch out for.
Thought Bolton was poor but would give one more chance.
Don't really see pressing need for any changes.
Balta is faster than Chol so I would keep the status quo.

Last edited:

GoTigers2015

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆2017🏆2019🏆2020🏆
Oct 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Posted in the other thread the Courier Mail have tweeted it’s confirmed Saturday night match.

I thought it would be Friday, how do they give us the shortest break if we lose?
Works out well as it gives our VFL players a longer break.

Last edited:

GoTigers2015

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆2017🏆2019🏆2020🏆
Oct 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
How good was it when the big fella had a bounce !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good fend off also

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
What I learnt is that the Lions are the real deal and will be no easy beats come finals. They finished on top for a reason - whatever anyone thinks of their softer draw they still won a tonne of impressive games leading up to it (Port, GWS on the road and the Cats/Dogs at home recently) I wasn't really a believer but after today they are definitely going to contend.

The biggest problem they pose to us is that they can match us in tackling intensity and pressure, they love the contest just as much as us and I reckon they've taken a leaf out our book over recent years. I am concerned about Short/Castagna/Broad and these types over there in high intensity, pressure games against quality opponents. We'll need to be at our best.
Yeah I agree. Although we won comfortably, Brisbane were probably our toughest opponent including West Coast in the winning stretch. We had our lowest inside 50s count since Round 2 against Collingwood for a reason and they didn't even use the keepings off tactic like Collingwood to restrict us in this metric. We just struggled to get our repeat entries like we usually do.

Our small forwards seriously have to lift. They are the cornerstone in our style of play. If they're not contributing a whole lot to the scoreboard, then they need to tackle and put pressure inside 50. The three of them had 6 tackles between them and a combined score of 2 goals and 3 behinds yesterday. Not good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back