Autopsy Roast & Toast Round 23 vs Brisbane, changes for Qualifying Final vs Brisbane

who was in the best for the Tigers vs Brisbane

• David Astbury

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • Nathan Broad

Votes: 15 5.5%
  • Dylan Grimes

Votes: 83 30.5%
  • Bachar Houli

Votes: 109 40.1%
  • Nick Vlastuin

Votes: 244 89.7%
  • Jayden Short

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • Brandon Ellis

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • Dion Prestia

Votes: 192 70.6%
  • Josh Caddy

Votes: 33 12.1%
  • Daniel Rioli

Votes: 14 5.1%
  • Trent Cotchin

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Kane Lambert

Votes: 22 8.1%
  • Shai Bolton

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Tom Lynch

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jack Riewoldt

Votes: 129 47.4%
  • Ivan Soldo

Votes: 58 21.3%
  • Shane Edwards

Votes: 33 12.1%
  • Dustin Martin

Votes: 209 76.8%
  • Jason Castagna

• Liam Baker

Votes: 67 24.6%
  • Jack Graham

• Noah Balta

Votes: 3 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought the umpires came for Brisbane hard when it looked like we were going to run away with the game.

AFL think it’s really important to get the game back up and running in QLD to avoid clubs folding.

They know Richmond fans will help sell out the Gabba and make Brisbane feel like an AFL city.

Thought the umpires came for Brisbane hard when it looked like we were going to run away with the game.

AFL think it’s really important to get the game back up and running in QLD to avoid clubs folding.

They know Richmond fans will help sell out the Gabba and make Brisbane feel like an AFL city.
This happened in the first two quarters and I think the main culprit was Meredith who, in retrospect, just seemed to be off in his decision making. O'Gorman who was our nemesis last time we met him was actually fairly sharp. I understand, and please correct me if I'm mistaken, that the umpires get feedback in their rooms during the half time break. Meredith settled down in the final two quarters and while there were a number of dodgy 50:50s I don't think the umpires particularly influenced the contest. More our mistakes. We'll see who we get in Brisbane in a fortnight. I'm OK with most of the others but Shane McInerney remains a bit of a worry. A very pedantic schoolmaster type umpire with an ordinary feel for the game and an apparent dislike of Jack R.

We had some ineffectual players yesterday and I think we'll be even better next week. The only difficult decision is Balta.
Not that difficult.
Balta was shocking yesterday.
Nank(if fit no brainer)
But do we take a gamble on someone like CCJ.
Chol or CCJ hmmmmmmmmmmm

Must say, I loved Brisbane’s tactic of tackling our players once they took a mark even though they weren’t in the contest. Very cunning. We love to move it fast so they just tacked us illegally to slow us down. What happened to this being an automatic 50m penalty?
It will only take one semi-competent umpire in the QF to pay a couple of 50's and they'll stop doing it. There's nothing like an inferior side adopting an illegal tactic to gain an advantage.

The umpires seem to be more switched on in the finals too. Probably because the really crap ones don't get a game.

The last time he did that a few times in a game he was dropped.

Can't see that happening this time though. Who would come in? Butler? On second thought, let's see if he can get it out of his game.
I still think Baker is a more damaging fwd/mid. I'd play him fwd and slot someone into defence. Kmac has been playing in defence in the VFL. .. Not that well though. Apart from Nank I'd leave the team unchanged. There were quite a few tiges players who were quiet and would want to redeem themselves. I need to watch a replay cos I thought Short was good and Rioli was crap.

just shows how unimportant stats are. Neale gets 51 touches to martins 21. but just watching the game live, Martin had much more influence on the game than Neale did. Neale gained 380m so about 7.5m/disposal. got a lot of 1,2's that Martin and Cotchin were criticised for in years past. Martin 2 goals and penetrating kicks to advantage were way more prominent. hell I wouldn't have Neale in the top 3, thought Martin, Grimes and vlaustin were better. unless he gets more influence in the game wouldn't worry about tagging him in a couple of weeks time.

that's shocking...where were the role players to provide our famed fw pressure ? it's finals like footy , dial UP the pressure would have thought.
There wasn’t actually a lot of pressure from us today. It’s a little concerning but I think we’ll know more in two weeks.

Brisbane had a lot of F50 pressure but their midfield pressure was really non-existent. So many times we just ran it through there too easily.

just shows how unimportant stats are. Neale gets 51 touches to martins 21. but just watching the game live, Martin had much more influence on the game than Neale did. Neale gained 380m so about 7.5m/disposal. got a lot of 1,2's that Martin and Cotchin were criticised for in years past. Martin 2 goals and penetrating kicks to advantage were way more prominent. hell I wouldn't have Neale in the top 3, thought Martin, Grimes and vlaustin were better. unless he gets more influence in the game wouldn't worry about tagging him in a couple of weeks time.

I didn't really notice Neale while I was at the ground, and I was surprised to hear he'd racked up that many. Zorko stood out, though. And Robinson. Reckon he might have been their best.

If you made the argument that the only reason he’s in the team is for his kicking it wouldn’t even stand up at the moment. You’d have thought he’d be the last person who’d want to be out of form this time of year
Its supposed to be his point of difference yet its garbage at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I got a pretty decent view of the ground up on level 4. To the lions credit they really set up well behind the ball and at stoppages. When they won it back the likes of Hodge pulled the trigger through the corridor really well. I thought their use by foot was probably a bit better than ours.

Their tackling was also really good, it looks like they've been trained by rugby players as a few of them came in really low and lifted us in the tackle rugby style.

Typically our style beats the opposition but this case the difference was probably acts of brilliance from our senior guys.

Grimes and Cotch will be better for it and Nank.
You'd hope we go into the game against them pretty confident. Should be a beauty. I'd be tempted to bring in Ross for Bolton but then again, their midfield pace was an issue for us at times.
In the second and third quarters they set up well but in the first and second there was no pressure on our midfield.

As such those were the two quarters where we won it.

Anyone else Brisbane may have gotten the win but when you’re up against a team like Richmond 2 quarters isn’t enough.

agree, thought Zorko was their best. I am not saying getting 51 isn't a great effort but in footy these days influence on game is more important. Richmond often loses important stat measures but still win. an example being when we are on, cutting thru the middle may only have 4-8 disposal but take it from defence to a scoring opportunity, or how we burst out of the centre in the 1st with hit ups to jack.

Broad is a handy defender and an excellent runner but he is very suspect with ball in hand. Fumbles and bumbles a lot.
He is suss with ball in hand.But he is part of the fab 5 who rotate opponents & roles.

No changes I'd reckon.
Back half was excellent. Midfield all good, Cotch was cruising and so was Martin.
Forward half functioned pretty well.
Soldo played a game I never thought he was capable of. Ragdolled Stefan Martin in the end, and looked fresh in the last Q! Balta was better in the ruck than he has ever been, and started to get involved. Don't think Nank will be fit enough, just not enough game time and Soldo did the job so why bring him in. (And I'm a big Nank fan).
Caddy was good on his wing. Robinson also played well, but he is having a great season, so you'd expect him to. Caddy is smart and uses the ball well and very strong. Ellis was average and McCluggage touched him up, and I'd rather have KMac, but it won't happen right now. Good to see Rioli back with a bit of spark. Bolton uses the ball well and did enough.
So it is hard to see any changes unless Ross absolutely dominates the VFL next week.

Sorry missed the match been in air just landed thought we would win though
How did our fringe type players go guys like
Balta:crossmark:
Bolton:division:
George:division:
Rioli:division:
Broad:heavycheck:
Ellis:division:
Baker:heavycheck:
Short:crossmark:
Caddy:heavycheck:
Cheers

There wasn’t actually a lot of pressure from us today. It’s a little concerning but I think we’ll know more in two weeks.

Brisbane had a lot of F50 pressure but their midfield pressure was really non-existent. So many times we just ran it through there too easily.
We had no tackles inside 50 obviously but thinking back - they rarely had possession of it inside our 50. We kept clunking marks and having shots, they were able to exit through kick outs which nullifies tackling a fair bit. Thought the game was fairly low pressure across the board, 76% DE for both teams is well above average. Won’t be like that in 2 weeks.

We never tag players. And people get sucked into comparing players. Only stat that counts is the scoreboard. Richmond defeated Brisbane

Watching the replay, Brisbane seem to play to the edge in terms of holding up marks, or afters with every tackle. Melbourne Storm-like in milking the rules. Second players dropping the knees in on tackles or pushing marking players over to hold them up. It’s got Hodge written all over it. I suspect if we try to emulate this we’d get killed by the umps. Stats over the last three seasons don’t lie.

I know we can beat them with skill, but one thing I think we should consider is picking our targets and giving it back. Someone to go to Hodge with the specific job of working him over ? (the job Townsend did last year for this was outstanding - and no I’m not suggesting we pick him - but ? Caddy to just rip him?) Graham or Cotch to go to Zorko? Or even use Caddy on Robinson?

It just seems that these three dish it out which brings up their whole team in endeavour and makes them more confident. Take out one or two of these pillars and I think they don’t walk anywhere near as tall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back