• 25: Toby Nankervis

• 29: Shai Bolton

• 33: Kamdyn McIntosh

• 34: Jack Graham

• 35: Nathan Broad

• 59: Marlion Pickett

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

just play Balta as second ruck! He showed a heap in the last quarter crashing packs and follow up work at the stoppage. His crash and bash will more than make up for any height disadvantage
Agree - he showed a bit - he was aggressive and looked involved, the opposite to Chol. Could well be a surprise weapon over the next 2 games

Bizarre. I literally put the glasses down and thought time has run out so the goal wont count. I always thought the official AFL clock was shown on screen but obviously not the case and why are they different? Needs to be investigated by the AFL as this could've had big consequences
goal, no probs umps end the quarter, geary should have got a free anyway

I thought he kicked it just before the siren.
He kicked as the siren sounded so no prob there - but if you're going by the clock on the TV - the siren went about 2-3 seconds after it should've - giving Butler time to kick the goal. For some reason the official timekeeper clock did not align with the channel 7 clock or timekeeper missed his cue! Just reckon the AFL should look into it as could end in tears if the game is close and the same problem arises

Thought the same thing when this happened watching it on TV, the siren felt like it should have gone well before (a second or two) it did. Seemed odd at the time, and I thought channel 7 were reverting to their logo with a couple of seconds left anyway because of this.

No doubt he kicked it before the siren, but thought there was a definite lag between the time clock and the siren sounding.

Game ends when the umpire says it ends.

Not when the siren goes.
Not when the clock runs out.

This is what happens when you misunderstand the ending of a game. ( I know its American football )

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We may lose with him in and we may lose without him but I just cannot trust him again this year.

This is a Prelim not the last round and 4 points clear and safe with percentage on the ladder.

I think Dimma just playing his cards letting Port think he will bring him in.

Chol was dropped for a home Semi against StKilda, which we won.

I cant see them recalling him for a Prelim against the Minor Premiers on their home deck, his form absolutely didnt warrant selection again.

We've had enough passengers in the side recently as it is in regard to match fitness and impact.

Trent Cotchin, Shane Edwards, David Astbury, Bachar Houli won’t be missing against Port Adelaide this time around

Port Adelaide swept Richmond aside by 21 points when they last played in Round 11. But the Tigers will be a very different beast when the sides meet again in Friday’s preliminary final after welcoming back key personnel.

A vastly different Richmond side to that which lost to Port Adelaide in Round 11 is setting itself for a “mighty” preliminary final challenge unlike any the Tigers have faced before.

Richmond held a light training session on the Gold Coast yesterday morning after last Friday’s crushing semi-final win over St Kilda, the club having no fresh injury concerns.

While coach Damien Hardwick has flagged Mabior Chol as a possible inclusion to bolster the ruck stocks, a stable line-up would mean seven changes to the Tigers’ side which suffered a 21-point loss to the Power at Adelaide Oval in Round 11.

Captain Trent Cotchin, David Astbury, Shane Edwards, Dion Prestia, Toby Nankervis, Jack Graham and Bachar Houli all missed that defeat, but are available this week.

The Tigers who played in Round 11 but missed the semi-final were Jake Aarts, Josh Caddy, Derek Eggmolesse-Smith, Jack Ross, Sydney Stack, Ivan Soldo and Chol.

Former Hawthorn and Melbourne champion Jordan Lewis – who played in seven preliminary finals – said Friday night’s crunch clash presented a unique challenge for Richmond.

While the Tigers have played in preliminary finals each of the past three years – winning two on their way to premierships – all have been at the MCG with bumper home crowds behind them.

On Friday night at Adelaide Oval, Richmond will have to contend with 27,000 Port Adelaide fans against it.

“It’s their hardest game for the year,” Fox Footy commentator Lewis said.

“Prelims are very hard to win and I was always at my most anxious going into a game like this because you know what’s around the corner, you know what’s at stake.

“What they’ve had in the past is home prelims.

“This year you go to an environment over in Adelaide where the Port players have stayed in their own beds, they’ve been comfortable in their own surroundings and they’re playing at their home ground in front of their home crowd.

“This is a mighty task. If Richmond gets through this game, they deserve to be in that grand final.”

OMINOUS SIGN FOR TIGERS WITH POWER FULLY CHARGED
Port Adelaide has every player on its list fit, healthy and available for Friday night’s preliminary final against Richmond after Xavier Duursma and Todd Marshall both hit the track at Alberton on Sunday.

Duursma had been nursing a sore chest and neck after he was concussed in the qualifying final win over Geelong while the club was also monitoring Marshall’s shoulder which he hurt in the first quarter but played through against the Cats.

Both trained on Sunday and moved freely with no strapping on Marshall’s shoulder as the club declared him a certain starter.

Incredibly, given the condensed season — which was expected to cause soft-tissue havoc across the competition — Port Adelaide does not have a single player on its injury list this week meaning Justin Westhoff, Mitch Georgiades, Sam Mayes, Boyd Woodcock and Jarrod Lienert who have all played senior footy this season are unable to crack the senior side.

The Tigers’ injury list includes Ivan Soldo and Jack Higgins but their team from the Round 11 loss to Port Adelaide will look decidedly different this week with seven players who missed that game all back in the side including Trent Cotchin, Jack Graham, Toby Nankervis, Shane Edwards, Bachar Houli, David Astbury and Dion Prestia.

While Scott Lycett is the only premiership player on Port Adelaide’s list, 21 of Richmond’s 22 from Friday night’s semi-final win over St Kilda had played in a flag.

“I think Richmond are a different side to what we played throughout the year, they’ve got some talented guys (who have) come back in and have shown over the last few years they’re a forced to be reckoned with and are in good form,” Port Adelaide’s All-Australian defender Darcy Byrne-Jones told ABC Grandstand on Sunday.

“So we’re going to have to play our best footy to win.

“Training has been pretty good, throughout the finals series we’ve been fortunate to ramp up training and do a bit more contact work and the boys have really relished that, and the contested side of the game is something we pride ourselves on.

“So we’ve tried to generate as much energy as possible because as we found out against Geelong it takes a step up in finals and is probably going to go up another level this week.

“We haven’t really sat down and discussed Tom (Lynch), he’s slightly different to Tom Hawkins, he gets up the ground a bit more so what match-up we go with I’m not too sure but it’s going to be a group effort (from) the back six or seven to try to get in his way and help out in the air, and deal with those small guys on the ground who apply really good pressure.”

Richmond defender Dylan Grimes described the Power as a “terrific side” and would pose a huge test for the reigning premier.

“They’re in great form and to add to that challenge we’re playing them on their home deck and against a hostile crowd,” Grimes said.

“Dimma said it after the (Round 11) game, the scoreboard flattered us last time, we were a fair way off Port Adelaide on the night.

“I felt like one thing they did really well was they just countered every punch that we threw in terms of ball movement and we’ve learnt a lot from that game I feel.

“I think we got a taste of what the challenge will be like in that we’ve seen their system but they’re just a great side, they have so many tricks, so many good players and a great team system so no matter how you look at it it’s going to be a tough game.

“I’m confident but at the same time I’m a realist about the challenge ahead, they finished on top of the ladder for a reason and Charlie Dixon has been in terrific form so you come up against that challenge and you’re fully aware it’s going to be a hard and tough night.”

Dusty BOG according to the coaches

Full voting details for the Richmond v St Kilda semi-final

8 – Dustin Martin (Richmond)

5 – Tom Lynch (Richmond)

5 – Bachar Houli (Richmond)

4 – Shai Bolton (Richmond)

4 – Shane Edwards (Richmond)

3 – Callum Wilkie (St Kilda)

1 – Toby Nankervis (Richmond)

And as McGuans said, someone like Chol will take advantage of the undersized port defence in the air.

Whatever decision Dimm makes I'm fine with, after all he's delivered two flags :)

View attachment 983234
If he attacks the ball. Last 2 games he has played he has looked half hearted in his efforts, you just can’t do that at this stage of the year.
He played some really good games earlier in the season, attacked the ball, hit the packs, he looked like a real prospect going forward. For some reason he lost that competitiveness and was dropped.
He showed enough in the scratch matches to come back in when Lynch went out, but just hasn’t shown enough.
I’d prefer we go with a player that we know what they can and will do, rather than a player that might be capable of doing something but hasn’t been and doesn’t do it consistently yet.
I haven’t given up on Chol, but he needs more time ATM before we risk him in a Prelim when we have other proven options.

If he attacks the ball. Last 2 games he has played he has looked half hearted in his efforts, you just can’t do that at this stage of the year.
He played some really good games earlier in the season, attacked the ball, hit the packs, he looked like a real prospect going forward. For some reason he lost that competitiveness and was dropped.
He showed enough in the scratch matches to come back in when Lynch went out, but just hasn’t shown enough.
I’d prefer we go with a player that we know what they can and will do, rather than a player that might be capable of doing something but hasn’t been and doesn’t do it consistently yet.
I haven’t given up on Chol, but he needs more time ATM before we risk him in a Prelim when we have other proven options.

Its not that I'm actively pushing for Chol, as my posting history over the years clearly show I'm more for stability over chopping and changing, im just going by Dimmas comments on Port being completely different to the Saints .
In the QF, 6 of Chols 8 disp were contested, 3 - 1%ers (in our top 3) 4 spoils, 4 ground ball gets, 9 hitouts out of 23 contests, 3 score involvements, all with 69% tog, that's why Dimma praised his "back half" against the lions in the QF especially competing in the air and bringing the ball to ground (praised Lynch for the same in regards to his alledged thuggery) and said he'll make a late call on the second ruck later in the week.

Whatever decision he makes I'll be 100% ok with.,

Its not that I'm actively pushing for Chol, as my posting history over the years clearly show I'm more for stability over chopping and changing, im just going by Dimmas comments on Port being completely different to the Saints .
In the QF, 6 of Chols 8 disp were contested, 3 - 1%ers (in our top 3) 4 spoils, 4 ground ball gets, 9 hitouts out of 23 contests, 3 score involvements, all with 69% tog, that's why Dimma praised his "back half" against the lions in the QF especially competing in the air and bringing the ball to ground (praised Lynch for the same in regards to his alledged thuggery) and said he'll make a late call on the second ruck later in the week.

Whatever decision he makes I'll be 100% ok with.,
It just comes down to who gets left out. I feel we always look a little better with Broad in the side.

I feel we are most vulnerable when opposition sides have multiple tall targets & we can’t have someone zone off & play the intercept role ! Having Broad back allows this , Astbury Balta Broad/Grimes on the tall’s , leaves Vlaustin to play that role ! Also if Broad takes the 3rd tall Grimes can take a Robbie Gray type.

Back