Votes: 59 25.9%
  • Daniel Rioli

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Jack Ross

Votes: 27 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Who the fu** knows. Probably a bit like when you go overseas, learn how to properly pronounce the name of a country and come back saying it differently to everyone else and look like a giant toss bag lol

Dimma must have learnt it at Harvard
Straya

Still not sure how aarts will squeeze in assuming prestia. Lynch. Bolton. Are available
Hardwick said it better than anyone ‘good players will miss out’

Hate to disagree with you Rise but whilst you're technically correct (thanks for the schooling but I am very much aware of everything you wrote particularly the cows bit having grown up on a dairy farm) the more recent use of the terms scrimmage and jersey in the context I was raising them come specifically from the Americanisation of both our sport and our in some respects our culture, of which I am sure you are aware.

It's this derailing and systematic infiltration of our sports culture particularly and specifically to our game that doesn't sit well with me. You failed to mention that jersey is the term commonly used for a team singlet in American basketball and/or shirt in American football as well as the common knowledge that scrimmage is the word used for warm up matches and practice matches in a range/most of American sports.

Now, we both know that the good burghers of bigfooty aren't likely reaching down in to the sepia history lesson you gave and looking fondly back into the ancient old woolen jumper, hobnail booted and bloated brown footies anecdotes of our fine game to re-up these terms.

Nope. They're getting them from sportsbet and fox footy and college basketball and Monday night football and the over hyped (imo) garbage that is forced on us and that I rail against. That's just my preference. I do like a lot of American sports but geez you have to take much if it with more than a grain of salt.

Nek minit we have crap like AFLX on our doorstep. What an uninvited profligate excercise that seems only a year later...next stop WWE or whatever it's called these days. Foosball mashup video dancing with the drone stars. Yuk

Eventually there won't even BE a ball !

(That not to say I didn't love Alex Rance's entry on a motorised skateboard channeling Kanye because that was the bomb - I just wish he'd rocked up to the Brownlow like that instead of that abbreviated American style X snorefest).

Put simply, despite what you say I warrant that these terms AREN'T intrinsic to our game at all. Yes perhaps they were once used at one time but neither are or have been part of the continuing Aussie Rules footballing vernacular of almost ANY past generations. They don't even mean what people are trying to mean they say.

Your grandma might have called a woolen jumper a jersey but she didn't mean the getup that Skinny Titus was running around in. A footy jumper was and is UNIVERSALLY known as a guernsey perhaps specifically to differentiate it from a wooly vest your lovely Nana wore but more likely I suspect to clearly label an Australian football jumper. Context Rise context.

Again, in Australian football terminology a practice match was never called a scrimmage. A scrimmage was, as you rightly pointed out somwthing completely different. In rugby it might have been called a ruck or something leading to a scrum. In America it's a practice match and the term, in that context is now suddenly being used to describe a scratch match here,.even if it's only 12 v 12. (Don't even get me started on Verses v verse)! It's wrong, irrelevant and inconsistent with what a scrimmage is, as understood by Australian football players and fans alike.

They're Americanised terms, infiltrating our indigenous game. I'm not against change, I just lean towards change that improves and doesn't scratch and tear at the fabric of our well-worn guernseys.

Why do we need to both change the meaning of our own original terms and include (Americanised) versions of the words that as you yourself say mean completely different things ? Is scrimmage somehow a "cooler" word?

If jersey is the new word for a guernsey then wtf is a guernsey now ? If a visiting American (pre covid obviously) said "Oooh I like Richmond's jersey" wont they be immediately corrected by any Australian Richmond supporter ??..I know my Nana would correct them quick smart (may she rip).

They're not needed, they dont even mean the same and frankly if we don't say no at times like this, then we lose the aforementioned fabric and you end up with a different (Americanised) game (which is what I said originally).

Man, it must be bye week.

If the US Army ever decides to try to invade here I am standing behind you YET, they won’t stand a chance of making you surrender. 😂

I feel your pain, I really do. If someone told me to stay out of their face, I would be shocked and disappointed that I wasn’t issued the much more acceptable instruction to f*ck off instead. And should someone ever decide to risk their life by saying "totes” to me to signify complete agreement with what I have just said, so help me. I simply won't stand for it.

But at the very least, that genre of examples of painful usage can be clearly and easily distinguished from the usages you refer to. To support this, and at the same time answer your post, let me go from the top:

For a start, virtually the entire language we use is in one way or another, borrowed from elsewhere. It is borrowed through the ages for various reasons, army invasions, migratory invasions, bits and pieces picked up on sojourns to France and sabbaticals to Greece inter alia. So by merely articulating your thoughts as colourfully as you do YET, you are voting “yes” for borrowed terms, and borrowed language.

To quote you:

"Now, we both know that the good burghers of bigfooty aren't likely reaching down in to the sepia history lesson you gave and looking fondly back into the ancient old woolen jumper, hobnail booted and bloated brown footies anecdotes of our fine game to re-up these terms.”

Ahem....is that an Americanisation that has seeped into your own dialect YET? 😂

My second point is there are terms we should borrow from the Americans if they are appropriate to our needs, and if you look up the history of the word scrimmage and its meaning, you will see it it perfectly appropriate for our informal matches being played by reserve players. That it is a word with a genuine history in our sport makes it all the more welcome imo.

"Your grandma might have called a woolen jumper a jersey but she didn't mean the getup that Skinny Titus was running around in.

My grandmother would indeed have called a football jumper a jersey. To her, and presumably others here in Australia, that was the generic name for a woollen jumper no matter its use, it is as simple as that. Yet others called them guernseys and the two terms were interchangeable for the reasons I pointed out. So regardless of who adopted what from where or when they did it, these two terms more or less mean the same thing and always have done.

But you know what, regardless of all of that, I am with you, let’s clean up the vernacular around our game. If F*cking James Brayshaw calls a shot at goal a “look” one more time I will not be responsible for my actions. 😡 😂😂

So that people do not think I am making this up....

Here is some history from the website fitzroyfc.com.au found here:

The first thing to point out is in the very first paragraph I have highlighted the use of the term “jersey” to describe the club jumper.

The second thing to point out FROM THE SAME ARTICLE is in the 5th paragraph, they use the word “guernsey” to describe the club jumper.

This is evidence the two terms have in fact been interchangeably used here in Australia since time immemorial.

Jersey is not some crazy unrelated un-Australian term, despite the fact its use may or may not have been re-awakened because the Americans favour its use.

The Maroons (1883-1938)
The Fitzroy Football Club was born on 26th September 1883 at the Brunswick Hotel as a result of a meeting by business man George Toms and former Fitzroy Mayor John MacMahon. The meeting elected a provisional committee who quickly decided that the colours of the club were to be a blue cap and knickerbockers, maroon jersey and hose.

Fitzroy was admitted to the VFA in 1884 as the Fitzroy Senior Football Club and played from the Brunswick Street Oval. It took 11 years to win their first flag which occured in 1895.

Two years later, Fitzroy joined seven other VFA clubs, Melbourne, Geelong, Collingwood, Carlton, South Melbourne, Essendon and St Kilda in breaking away from the VFA and forming a new league that named itself the Victorian Football League. (VFL)

Fitzroy quickly had success winning the second VFL premiership in 1898 against Essendon. Fitzroy was the most successful team in the first ten years of the VFL, playing in the finals for nine of those first ten - for four premierships. Three times in that period Fitzroy was runner-up. Fitzroy also won the 1899 Premiership, lost by 4 points to Melbourne in the 1900 Grand Final and won the Premiership again in 1904, after losing by two points in the Grand Final in 1903. Fitzroy won their second back to back Premiership in 1905, with Percy Trotter being named Player of the Year, an award which was essentially the equivalent of the modern Brownlow Medal.

Fitzroy changed their uniform in 1911 to a maroon guernsey with blue collars and cuffs and white shorts. They won their fifth premiership in 1913. World War I broke out the following year and by 1916, 15 Fitzroy players and former players had enlisted. Two new clubs Richmond and University had joined the league by 1914. While football continued during the war, five VFL clubs went into temporary recess and University disbanded permanently. Only Fitzroy, Collingwood, Richmond and Carlton continued to play on, their teams mostly filled with older men and those who remained at home in "essential services." In 1916 Fitzroy became the only League team in history to go from last at the end of the home and away season to win the Flag, an unusual occurence that is never likely to be repeated in VFL/AFL history.

After the war ended in 1918, Fitzroy had mixed success until 1922, when led by Jimmy Freake and Percy Parratt it defeated their arch-rival Collingwood to win their seventh flag. After 1924, Fitzroy did not figure in the finals again until 1942, a period of 18 years. This was somewhat surprising considering that during that period Fitzroy had at its' disposal some of the all-time greats of the club including Haydn Bunton who won three Brownlow Medals in 1931, 1932 and 1935, Dinny Ryan who won the Brownlow in 1936, and Wilfred 'Chicken' Smallhorn in 1933. Fitzroy players won the Brownlow in 1931, 1932, 1933, 1935 and 1936 and yet could not figure in the finals in any one of those years. Haydn Bunton believed that 1934, the only one of those years where a Fitzroy player did not win the Brownlow was his best year ever, but the Medal that year was won by Essendon's Dick Reynolds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond’s Physical Performance Manager Peter Burge provides Richmond Media with the latest injury report, brought to you by Victor Sports.

Dion Prestia, ankle

"Dion trained with us last Friday. He's been training for a couple of weeks now, but last Friday we did a bit of an internal practice match and he participated in the whole game and has pulled up really well. So he'll be available for selection this week."

Tom Lynch, hamstring

"Tom's tracking really well. Tom has been running at high intensity for the past week, and on Saturday he completed a fairly strong session with high intensity running and some football. Tom's going to join in to a little bit of skills on Monday, and we'll make a decision later in the week as to his availability for this week's game."

Shai Bolton, corked calf

"Shai trained fully last Friday in the practice match that we had, and he'll be available for selection as well this week."

Josh Caddy, patella tendon soreness

"Josh, going back to the Adelaide game, had an incident during the game and was quite sore at half-time. We taped him up and he went back on the ground after half-time. He was a little bit sore through his patella... He started running again yesterday (Saturday) and actually was a lot better than expected, so we'll look at him joining some training this week, and we're hopeful he is available, but we'll make a decision later in the week as well."

Jake Aarts, shoulder soreness

"Jake came off late in the Adelaide game with a knock to his AC joint, and was quite sore. Given we've had the bye and a little bit of time for that to settle, he'll fully train this week and be available for selection."

Jack Higgins, calf

"Jack came off with a very minor calf strain against Brisbane in the scratch match last week. He'll miss this week then go through a very short-term rehab process and hopefully be available the following week."

Richmond’s Physical Performance Manager Peter Burge provides Richmond Media with the latest injury report, brought to you by Victor Sports.

Dion Prestia, ankle

"Dion trained with us last Friday. He's been training for a couple of weeks now, but last Friday we did a bit of an internal practice match and he participated in the whole game and has pulled up really well. So he'll be available for selection this week."

Tom Lynch, hamstring

"Tom's tracking really well. Tom has been running at high intensity for the past week, and on Saturday he completed a fairly strong session with high intensity running and some football. Tom's going to join in to a little bit of skills on Monday, and we'll make a decision later in the week as to his availability for this week's game."

Shai Bolton, corked calf

"Shai trained fully last Friday in the practice match that we had, and he'll be available for selection as well this week."

Josh Caddy, patella tendon soreness

"Josh, going back to the Adelaide game, had an incident during the game and was quite sore at half-time. We taped him up and he went back on the ground after half-time. He was a little bit sore through his patella... He started running again yesterday (Saturday) and actually was a lot better than expected, so we'll look at him joining some training this week, and we're hopeful he is available, but we'll make a decision later in the week as well."

Jake Aarts, shoulder soreness

"Jake came off late in the Adelaide game with a knock to his AC joint, and was quite sore. Given we've had the bye and a little bit of time for that to settle, he'll fully train this week and be available for selection."

Jack Higgins, calf

"Jack came off with a very minor calf strain against Brisbane in the scratch match last week. He'll miss this week then go through a very short-term rehab process and hopefully be available the following week."

1601191138197.png 1601191253276.png

Can we please put the word "scrimmage" in the same f#$@ing rubbish bin ("trashcan""- another banned Y(w)ank word) that "jersey" should be placed in.

It's a practice match or a scratch match. If you don't hold on to the traditions of the game, including the terminology you end up with a diluted, crap product with no respect for the rules (being constantly changed) and a game that barely resembles the game you love and ends up looking more like another less spectacular and wonderful game altogether.
Don't worry I'm approaching the old man club and I'm with you. Ban the words strip and pitch from our round ball nuffies too. Words like that increase my blood pressure and can easily bring on incontinence !

AFL brought the preseason bye in in 2015 because they knew the tiges would need it in 2020 to have players right by finals time.
Corrupt campaigners as always.
Thank you for pointing that out, I was under the misguided assumption it was to enable to Garry to have hair plugs...

Geelong were going to get Advanced Hair as a sponsor, now I know why they never changed Kardinia Park to Advanced Hair Stadium.

If the US Army ever decides to try to invade here I am standing behind you YET, they won’t stand a chance of making you surrender. 😂

I feel your pain, I really do. If someone told me to stay out of their face, I would be shocked and disappointed that I wasn’t issued the much more acceptable instruction to f*ck off instead. And should someone ever decide to risk their life by saying "totes” to me to signify complete agreement with what I have just said, so help me. I simply won't stand for it.

But at the very least, that genre of examples of painful usage can be clearly and easily distinguished from the usages you refer to. To support this, and at the same time answer your post, let me go from the top:

For a start, virtually the entire language we use is in one way or another, borrowed from elsewhere. It is borrowed through the ages for various reasons, army invasions, migratory invasions, bits and pieces picked up on sojourns to France and sabbaticals to Greece inter alia. So by merely articulating your thoughts as colourfully as you do YET, you are voting “yes” for borrowed terms, and borrowed language.

To quote you:

"Now, we both know that the good burghers of bigfooty aren't likely reaching down in to the sepia history lesson you gave and looking fondly back into the ancient old woolen jumper, hobnail booted and bloated brown footies anecdotes of our fine game to re-up these terms.”

Ahem....is that an Americanisation that has seeped into your own dialect YET? 😂

My second point is there are terms we should borrow from the Americans if they are appropriate to our needs, and if you look up the history of the word scrimmage and its meaning, you will see it it perfectly appropriate for our informal matches being played by reserve players. That it is a word with a genuine history in our sport makes it all the more welcome imo.

"Your grandma might have called a woolen jumper a jersey but she didn't mean the getup that Skinny Titus was running around in.

My grandmother would indeed have called a football jumper a jersey. To her, and presumably others here in Australia, that was the generic name for a woollen jumper no matter its use, it is as simple as that. Yet others called them guernseys and the two terms were interchangeable for the reasons I pointed out. So regardless of who adopted what from where or when they did it, these two terms more or less mean the same thing and always have done.

But you know what, regardless of all of that, I am with you, let’s clean up the vernacular around our game. If F*cking James Brayshaw calls a shot at goal a “look” one more time I will not be responsible for my actions. 😡 😂😂
Thanks for taking that in the spirit it was intended Rise. Btw is your granny single ? Don't worry I'm just looking for a date to the movies and maybe a cuppa tea afters.

Did some say the HUN today called the finals the playoffs ?!?!? Now I'm getting REALLY pissed off !

So, Lunch out again...who plays second tall forward or do we go all 2017 on their ass. (this Amercian crap is getting out of hand now).

I just have doubts that Cholly can cut it in a big final. Is he ready ? Would Caddy do the job ? Can Balta/Astbury cover the 10-20% second ruck ? Is Chol even that good covering ruck ?

So, Lunch out again...who plays second tall forward or do we go all 2017 on their ass. (this Amercian crap is getting out of hand now).

I just have doubts that Cholly can cut it in a big final. Is he ready ? Would Caddy do the job ? Can Balta/Astbury cover the 10-20% second ruck ? Is Chol even that good covering ruck ?

I am not sure now. So from our last team in comes Prestia, and Bolton. Out goes the unlucky Ross and the other omission is really unclear. Chol, Caddy, Aarts look to be the most obvious three possibilities. On expected performance you would leave Chol out I think. But on role profile he is possibly the one we need most....very very tricky this.

Back