Autopsy Roast & toast vs Essendon and changes for Port Adelaide

Best vs Dons

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The curious case of the the Richmond football club

The thing is , we are s**t in tough moments , we choke badly.

However we are in every game until the last quarter. It doesn't matter if the team is s**t or good. We are always in it.

Does this suggest that we are decentish but just have a bad case of the chokes ? Or maybe a lack of fitness ?

If we are truly s**t then we would be smashed and out of the game 2nd or third quarter . But we are genuinely in every game. So what gives. Why are we so mentally weak when we seem to have the tools to actually win most games

Thats not what you implied though.You said the players made sacrafices too keep the list together and Dimma should do the same.
Well he did not once but twice.Think your barking up the wrong tree.That tree should be AFLHQ who under the umbrella of equalisation Tax big clubs like us /Pies & West Coast so clubs like Stkilda can piss their share up a wall without blinking.
I should have been more specific and said "pay cut" not "sacrifice".

That equalisation tax has no impact on how much we spend on football department. It's not as is if we are not spending our full cap amount because we don't have enough cash. The tax on big clubs pisses me off but it's not the problem here. So that's definitely the wrong tree.

If they did another 2016 style review now what do you think they would say? They would say we are paying Dimma too much, even Dimma agrees.

On the tax on big clubs, the AFL thinks about cash at the big clubs as if it's their own, literally. They have no respect for the fact that the cash ultimately comes from the members of those big clubs.

Kudos to Dimma that he made a "sacrifice" in 2018. How many actual cuts have Cotch and Jack taken? They're getting less now partly because they can't perform at the same level, but Dimma hasn't been able to either.

Or we could let Dimma rest on his laurels and maybe we can celebrate another flag in 37 years.

I guess the counter argument would be that like the Brisbane game we also had multiple opportunities to win the game despite Merret getting a lot of the ball

If Mansell kicks that set shot or at least a behind, Jack does not kick it along the ground into a spare defender who is set up for the rebound, Kmac zigs instead of zags on Stringer or one of our Mids is on stringer to begin with, Rioli does not just try and kick the goal and uses one of the multiple options around him

Even if one of those things play out differently we win the game and Merrett got a lot of the ball but didn’t play any role in deciding the result

The gameplan and tactics kept us in the lead for 99% of the game and simple bad decision making decided the result imo
Then the Gameplan and coaching can take responsibility for the losses.

Too many

Oppo know he won’t change.

Then the Gameplan and coaching can take responsibility for the losses.

Too many

Oppo know he won’t change.
So you think the gameplan had more impact on the result on Saturday night?

Or do you think those mistakes I highlighted earlier played more or a factor?

However we are in every game until the last quarter. It doesn't matter if the team is s**t or good. We are always in it.

Does this suggest that we are decentish but just have a bad case of the chokes ? Or maybe a lack of fitness ?

If we are truly s**t then we would be smashed and out of the game 2nd or third quarter . But we are genuinely in every game. So what gives. Why are we so mentally weak when we seem to have the tools to actually win most games
Spot on , if you’re down right s**t , you’re never in the game , period.
I think our defensive pressure is above average our offensive ability is below par and worsens when put under real heat. The F50 structure is poor and few pieces are really firing , the fact the only tweaks we’ve made are cotch Or Pickett to FF is absolutely laughable , we’d be better off throwing bradke in

The biggest thing for me is that we just don’t get any reward on the scoreboard when we have momentum, we simply can’t get the easy goals we used to get. Plenty of that is to do with Lynch being out but I wish we would just take the easy option more often. Hit up the short kicks to guys around the 45-50 metre mark, yeah they may be tougher shots at goal but it will force the oppo into something different, jack can no longer bring the ball to ground outnumbered and even when he does we don’t have the forward pressure to hold it in like we used to. Mansell cops his fair whack on here but he just has to play at the moment because he’s the only one willing to apply repeat manic pressure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Okay, so, in this analogy, presumably scoring from a free throw is a bit like kicking a goal from a mark, a free kick, or when otherwise having plenty of time. But our team’s ability to miss our players and kick it down the throat of opposition backmen is like missing the backboard completely.

Nope. Kicking a football is a harder action that shooting due to the shape of the ball. A shot at goal also is from different distances and angles.

And no its not like missing the backboard. Its a turnover. Its an in play action that has many many variables and requires instant decision making and then executing on top of that.

Jack went at 22 DE And let’s face it he didn’t really offer much

would have kept Miller in
Bauer, Bradtke would have at least completed physically

you can’t play an injured player…regardless if you are low on options
I think you would be surprised at how many times an 'injured' players has played and you didn't notice it. When it goes well, you don't notice. When it goes poorly, you do.

I would extremely confident to say Jack has played at that level of injury before and has at least competed, provided a target and brought the ball to ground.

Leppa when he left Richmond said he was getting out of football the next year he pops up at Collingwood obviously he wasn't paid enough.
'obviously' you say without literally 0 information on the subject and making a complete guess. Love it.

Players and coaches 'retire' and then come back a year latter because they miss it. Not sure why you think it has to be money. If it was money then he just directly moves to somewhere else.

Totally not possible that he felt accomplished at Richmond and decided his time was done there and needed a break only to get an offer that he found to be to his liking and motivate him again right?

Its not just players that lose the hunger after winning flags, coaches would be the same.

I'm calling their leadership into question as well. Jack does that toe poke 20m to the oppo and Cotch peels off a marking contest late where he could've helped Mansell spoil Heppell. I think they've completely shrugged off any leadership mantle outside of 'being inspirational'. We lack communicators, players that will take charge in that situation. Make the call to slow it down or go man-on-man instead of giving the oppo (who are being relentlessly offensive) a clear path to goal by guarding space.
Should have been a free to Mansell for a high fend off in the marking contest. por.jpg

So you think the gameplan had more impact on the result on Saturday night?

Or do you think those mistakes I highlighted earlier played more or a factor?
I understand your point and it’s a good argument.

But thirteen close losses a couple of draws and a win aren’t explained away with three or four mistakes in the last two and a half minutes of every game.

I’m still pissy about the loss

I understand your point and it’s a good argument.

But thirteen close losses a couple of draws and a win aren’t explained away with three or four mistakes in the last two and a half minutes of every game.

I’m still pissy about the loss
Me too mate and I don’t disagree either just trying to work it all out as well

Always appreciate the discussion especially when people have different perspectives

Shutup you coward. I was reeling from a season ending loss. Im allowed to vent. Alsoo, i never specifically stated the club was a joke, merely that something was a joke. Its more the decision to throw away the top 10 pick for hopper that is a joke given how we are performing.

3 flags in 4 years doesnt permit our list management team and hardwick to become reckless.
No need to get personal. You said, this club, what a joke. choose your words better. Reckless in what way? By recruiting two guns in hopper and Taranto in the belief we could win another flag. Is that reckless? We‘ve all been screaming out for more contested ball winners and gut runners and we went and got both of them. Show me another club that has been able to recruit two players like this at the same time. Things haven’t panned out as expected and it doesn’t help missing key personnel. What do you really expect from Hardwick? Nothing is guaranteed in life. Injuries and luck play a major role in this business.

Last edited:
I should have been more specific and said "pay cut" not "sacrifice".

That equalisation tax has no impact on how much we spend on football department. It's not as is if we are not spending our full cap amount because we don't have enough cash. The tax on big clubs pisses me off but it's not the problem here. So that's definitely the wrong tree.

If they did another 2016 style review now what do you think they would say? They would say we are paying Dimma too much, even Dimma agrees.

On the tax on big clubs, the AFL thinks about cash at the big clubs as if it's their own, literally. They have no respect for the fact that the cash ultimately comes from the members of those big clubs.

Kudos to Dimma that he made a "sacrifice" in 2018. How many actual cuts have Cotch and Jack taken? They're getting less now partly because they can't perform at the same level, but Dimma hasn't been able to either.

Or we could let Dimma rest on his laurels and maybe we can celebrate another flag in 37 years.
Leave that 37yrs of revolving coaches door too the bloos.

In- Sonsie, Cumberland
Out- Dow, McIntosh

FB- Broad, Grimes, Baker
HB- Vlastuin, Balta, Rioli
C- Ross, Taranto, Pickett
HF- Cotchin, Riewoldt, Graham
FF- Dusty, Ryan, Mansell
R- Nank, Prestia, Bolton

I/C - Short, Ralphsmith, Sonsie, Cumberland

If Dimma is going to persist with Pickett forward then bring in Banks to play wing.
Macintosh has been garbage this year. His kicks are junk.

Back