Autopsy Roast & Toast vs Essendon rd22 & Changes for Dogs rd23

Best Player vs Essendon

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

What would be nice

if we close the last quarter out strongly

sustain no major injuries in achieving the first point or any niggles that cannot be covered re the bye week

and cherry on top JR to kick four goals against the bulldogs ensuring Buddy needs to kick more than 7 goals and Brown more than six to secure the Coleman.

We assumed we'd done enough to get the win without over exerting ourselves. We were never losing that. Even if we did who cares. We're locked in first. Club knows what the priority is.
Wouldn’t be too concerned considering what was at stake. We had nothing to play for and was probably trying to preserve ourselves. Bombers had everything to play for. Nothing to see here.
When they showed Cotchin in the box during the final quarter, (he did not know the camera was on), he looked genuinely concerned, that is all.
Players are playing for slots in finals, the ultimate final is the pinnacle of a player's career.

Last edited:

Watching the replay.
We had a 21-point lead with four minutes left and virtually squandered it.
Merrett missed narrowly, it would have been a three point margin, with ample time remaining.
If we play like that against a top side in finals it could be game over.
In terms of selections for finals, compared to last year, I would retain Short and Conca and omit Townsend and Butler in order of preference.

This thing I keep hearing about Bombers running out of time is pure nonsense. The game could have gone all night and we would have still stayed in front.

We have played like that against "top" sides and guess what? Result was the same.

When they showed Cotchin in the box during the final quarter, (he did not know the camera was on), he looked genuinely concerned, that is all.
Players are playing for slots in finals, the ultimate final is the pinnacle of a player's career.

If we’re concerned about a final qtr fade out when nothing was on the line from our point of view we’re in for a stressful few weeks. People will try and find something that’s not there on to me this is one of those times

We were always in control. We were rotating guns through the bench as we pleased (with 5 premiership stars out of the side!), got through the game with no injury issues and had a chance to let some boys get some kms in before finals on the comeback trail.

Next week I wouldn't be surprised if we came out and rolled the dogs with a full strength line up as we crank it up and get into second gear.

I doubt it would mater who the team or what the scoreline was. The Captain sitting in the box when he should be on the ground would have made him feel completely useless. It would have been a mixed bag of emotions we were watching

We were always in control. We were rotating guns through the bench as we pleased (with 5 premiership stars out of the side!), got through the game with no injury issues and had a chance to let some boys get some kms in before finals on the comeback trail.

Next week I wouldn't be surprised if we came out and rolled the dogs with a full strength line up as we crank it up and get into second gear.
Matty Lloyd said yesterday we are cruzing just waiting to step it up a gear for the finals. Said its daylight between us and any other side.

Also had 5 Tiges for AA Rance, Grimes, Dusty, Jack and Caddy.

Cotchin looked genuinely concerned and absorbed by the contest.
Anyway, these final matches are a testing ground for our younger players to gain finals selection.
Remember, they brought in Graham and Townsend in the latter rounds last year with remarkable success.
They would probably not make radical changes this year, but it remains to be seen.
Personally, I cannot see Short being omitted. He would be the only essential addition.

Cotchin looked genuinely concerned and absorbed by the contest.
Anyway, these final matches are a testing ground for our younger players to gain finals selection.
Remember, they brought in Graham and Townsend in the latter rounds last year with remarkable success.
They would probably not make radical changes this year, but it remains to be seen.
Personally, I cannot see Short being omitted. He would be the only essential addition.

If we line up full strength next weekend can’t see any changes to that team bar injury. Would be odd to go into the final round with a reserved team. A real momentum killer. Reeks of North Melbourne

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably left the iron on at home.

If we line up full strength next weekend can’t see any changes to that team bar injury. Would be odd to go into the final round with a reserved team. A real momentum killer. Reeks of North Melbourne
Dimma already said in his press conference that a two week break is too long for a rest. They will be trying to build momentum into the finals, so will play anyone that isn't injured.

Dimma already said in his press conference that a two week break is too long for a rest. They will be trying to build momentum into the finals, so will play anyone that isn't injured.

The cheeky bastard also said we won’t rest any players multiple times but we know how that turned out

I think we are almost costing in neutral gear.
With a top two finish and first home final guaranteed it would be a hard to find motivation. I think the injection of the kids in higgins, baker and garthwaite has been immense from an enthuasism point of view and then throw sam loyd in the mix amd this is what keeps the intensity level up as places for the final 22 for finals is still questionable for some players. Dimma is a super coach and is astute.
We are seriously in the box seat when you also consider the VFL team is also in with a double chance.
Bring september in as i am sure we just cant wait to go B2B.

I only saw parts of the game on the TV in the backround, but what concerns me is lately the oppo have been taking risks and going through the middle late in games, and we struggle to hurt them going the other way when they ultimately turn it over, it happened against Geelong and seemed to be happening again against Ess.

Are we just tiring late in games due to hard finals training loads, struggling for motivation and will put the foot down again when needed, or do we have a weakness if teams take us on in a corridoor shootout with a slight lack of polish going forward?

I just fear for injuries if it was me I would rest dusty grimes and nank. We lose either of these and we are flocked

I am more fearful of being underdone with one game in 3 weeks.

I only saw parts of the game on the TV in the backround, but what concerns me is lately the oppo have been taking risks and going through the middle late in games, and we struggle to hurt them going the other way when they ultimately turn it over, it happened against Geelong and seemed to be happening again against Ess.

Are we just tiring late in games due to hard finals training loads, struggling for motivation and will put the foot down again when needed, or do we have a weakness if teams take us on in a corridoor shootout with a slight lack of polish going forward?

Yep that’s my only concern at moment is those two games where we have had 27 and 33 point leads at 15 min mark of last and we’ve nearly lost . I don’t believe either it’s taking foot off the gas as we end up expanding just as much energy trying to make sure we win .
I’m hoping it’s a heavy training schedule in preparation for finals , if it’s not then yes we look to be tiring late in games .

I'm sure we are aware of this. No need to play all our cards in the H&A season ;)

Back