• 38: Noah Balta

• 42: Ryan Garthwaite

• 44: Sydney Stack

• 48: Liam Baker

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m actually really looking forward to seeing soldo have a good run at it.. think he will surprise a lot in his improvement..

Nank has been solid with being special.. this might be a blessing in disguise.. here’s hoping so anyway.

I get the feeling that hardwick is very tempted to bring in RCD for the loss of Ross... seems logical however vlaustin is an auto selection and it would be extremely harsh on dropping anyone else...

Pretty sure they will give rioli another weeks rest which I’m all down for too.. bring him back for the Dreamtime

You place a lot of faith and reliance on Soldo who has only played what 8 games(?).
Loss of Grigg who was used to help out Nank (and Riewoldt) leaves the cupboard a bit bare.
Soldo has been playing well in VFL but against McEvoy?

Even if Grigg was fit and playing there’s no way we’d ruck him against big boy. Soldo will come in bc of his size t take he hear off Balta. Personally I think he’s a bit of a potato, but I’d be stunned if he wasn’t brought in this week.

Good opportunity for him and us. Nank is one of our most important players structurally, hopefully we grow from this like we are with our other injuries to key players

Even if Grigg was fit and playing there’s no way we’d ruck him against big boy. Soldo will come in bc of his size t take he hear off Balta. Personally I think he’s a bit of a potato, but I’d be stunned if he wasn’t brought in this week.

Good opportunity for him and us. Nank is one of our most important players structurally, hopefully we grow from this like we are with our other injuries to key players
Agree with your comments.
Hampson was finished, poor bastard did his back in, so when he retired last year you lost your experienced back up (well 2 years ago really).
Soldo I gather is a big unit with a basketball background who can only play ruck (?). A mate tells me he's related to Maric?!
McEvoy had a day out against GWS playing against their backup ruck Dawson Simpson with Mumford out injured.
Simpson also a big unit who spent several years on Geelongs list but with limited opportunities due to the Cats ruck strength.

I also liked Blingers comments in response to one of my earlier posts:
My main concern with Soldo, he tends to jump too early in the ruck & will be exposed by McEvoy if he continues to do this.Also I can imagine Clarko will try & push McEvoy forward out of the middle to expose Soldo with his lack of experience.

It will be interesting to see how Soldo goes, a great learning opportunity in any case against an experienced ruckman.
Who knows, the next few weeks might be the making of the man and the opportunity to shine.

Last edited:

Hampson was finished, poor bastard did his back in, so when he retired last year you lost your experienced back up (well 2 years ago really).
Soldo I gather is a big unit with a basketball background who can only play ruck (?). A mate tells me he's related to Maric?!
McEvoy had a day out against GWS playing against their backup ruck Dawson Simpson with Mumford out injured.
Simpson also a big unit who spent several years on Geelongs list but with limited opportunities due to the Cats ruck strength.

It will be interesting to see how Soldo goes, a great learning opportunity in any case against an experienced ruckman.
Who knows, the next few weeks might be the making of the man and the opportunity to shine.

That’s correct he’s related to Maric (cousins) comes from a basketball background, big boy about 204cm 105kegs. Just don’t think he does anywhere near enough around the ground but a few of our regular vfl watchers say he’s developing nicely, so interested to see how he fares over the next 6-10 weeks

That’s correct he’s related to Maric (cousins) comes from a basketball background, big boy about 204cm 105kegs. Just don’t think he does anywhere near enough around the ground but a few of our regular vfl watchers say he’s developing nicely, so interested to see how he fares over the next 6-10 weeks
Thanks for the update:thumbsu:

Sorry, not trying to cause trouble. Just genuinely trying to have a meaningful discussion about footy.
If you want to get snarky I'll happily leave. Ridiculous comment given what happened to us last season.
I have been watching with interest how Richmond have fared under similar circumstances and was impressed with you win against Freo. Under the circumstances I believe it was the best performance frrom a Tigers side in over a year. Especially after the woeful performance the week before.

Nank is your most important player, his effort and competetiveness are crucial, it allows your team to not have to play two ruckmen in your side when he has Grigg and Riewoldt able to assist.
I was wondering whether or not with your most experienced ruck out it would mean you would have to have Soldo and Balta in your team to share the ruckwork or whether this would unbalance you team. I just fear an inexperienced ruck having to ruck all day against McEvoy and Ceglar. Wouldn't have been such a great concern if Grigg (and or Riewoldt) was available to help out and give him a rest.

Good luck next week.
Forgive the intrusion - don't want to enter back into the petty "Pies didn't have injuries"or "honorable loss" baiting of last year.
You’re right, McEvoy’s form is a concern for us with Nankervis out. The part of the ground that I am really relying on for us though is our defence. Hawthorn are not the most offensive side in the competition right now, so if we can turn it into a low-scoring affair where we use our defence to control the air and to generate scoring shots from chains starting in defence, then I think we can outscore them enough to win.

I say defence because once Hawthorn take possession from a McEvoy tap, they probably will not turn it over in the midfield a whole lot. They’ll probably go inside 50 or at the cusp of it, which is where I believe they turn the ball over the most in comparison to other parts of the ground. Defence needs a big day.

I appreciate your comments and love your optimism but I fear the loss of Nankervis will be critical against the Hawks.
McEvoy is in stellar form and was a major factor in the Hawks win against GWS.
With your reserve ruckman already sidelined I fear Nank was the one player who you couldn't afford to lose and who you can't replace.
Fingers crossed, would love to see you beat the Hawks but I fear that Clarkson will be able to exploit the shortfalls in your current injury ravaged lineup.
You lost?

I’m actually really looking forward to seeing soldo have a good run at it.. think he will surprise a lot in his improvement..

Nank has been solid with being special.. this might be a blessing in disguise.. here’s hoping so anyway.

I get the feeling that hardwick is very tempted to bring in RCD for the loss of Ross... seems logical however vlaustin is an auto selection and it would be extremely harsh on dropping anyone else...

Pretty sure they will give rioli another weeks rest which I’m all down for too.. bring him back for the Dreamtime
RCD is injured I believe

Nank doesn’t get alot of hitouts against the really large rucks he just tries to minimise the effectiveness and can get a few clearances.Makevoy is rubbish below his knees and plays like a traditional Ruck with marks and a few sneaky goals here and there.
Soldo is a heavy guy and probably jumps early and into the oppo to wear em down a little.
We do need to respect what Makevoy can do but they’re Rucks will have to be accountable for Balta and Soldo and on balance, we know what Makevoy can do and where he will be, I don’t think they’re coaches know what Balta can do or where he could start influencing the game and being a problem for them.

thanks my opinion of Shai Bolton has changed based on this game too. I could see why you guys got him with a 1st rounder.

I knew he had talent. But didn't have the endurance last season. Hence why he played a few games in the seniors last year and year before last season.

Now he has the tank to run out 4 quarters. Yes I saw him dash and score that goal with a dodge/side step.

Could be wrong but reckon we got him with a mid to late 2nd rounder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

(Log in to remove this ad.)

thanks my opinion of Shai Bolton has changed based on this game too. I could see why you guys got him with a 1st rounder.

I knew he had talent. But didn't have the endurance last season. Hence why he played a few games in the seniors last year and year before last season.

Now he has the tank to run out 4 quarters. Yes I saw him dash and score that goal with a dodge/side step.
1557782868470.png

This week's unsung hero
http://www.aflplayers.com.au/article/unsung-heroes-round-8-3/
Richmond: Noah Balta

When Toby Nankervis went down with a game-ending groin injury against Fremantle, Richmond were in dire need of a ruckman. In just his seventh game of football and giving up more than 10cm to Rory Lobb, 19-year-old Noah Balta took on the role. It was a hard-fought effort against Lobb but Balta won 12 hit-outs of his own and finished the game with 13 disposals and a goal.

Gidday Team- Having watched the VFL live over the last 2 and half seasons and watched Garth, Balta, Shai, develop the way they have? I really'' really'' believe that big Ivan is going to impress every one with what he can do, ''no probs''-i made a preseason post on here after the practice games had finished and made comment on Soldo being the huge improver his 2019 season! and stand by it right now [lets see if i'm wrong team]. I also went up to the GC last year to watch us play, and if you can find the replay you will see how well Ivan did filling in for Nank [sore] in his only game-he was 'very' good-and then next week he was out. He does not have to leap, he is strong, bustles and use's his big bulk well to keep the 'opp' ruck off balance and is taking the big grabs well this season-AS has been shown this season, have faith in the men coming up from vfl, they can and ''will'' perform!! Go Tigers.

Last edited:
Injuries or no injuries, I’m loving the young kids coming up and given a chance to play senior footy, it’s like something new every week. Had we bled the kids in late last year when our players were either carrying injuries or bad form then we probably would’ve gone all the way. I know that’s a big call but nothing beats freshness and spirit that new players inject into a team- that was my argument last year that we were too scared to give players a rest. Hope we learnt a lesson and go all the way this year.
Same here too...said player management was going to be the big thing to carrying us to B2B...saw very little of it and the B2B!
And i thought Both Hardwick and Balme would have realized how important player management is in playing for B2B GFs with their stays at clubs that challenged mutiple times for GFs!...but i saw very little of it! Nadaaa...
Currently the Club and Coaches are now having to learn all about player management with our serious number of player injuries, we get through this i reckon the coaches will now how to use player management as a serious weapon/strategy from now on...
I understand it's hard to tamper with winning form and no one wants to really change anything when your winning in case of fecking up...but!
We are talking long season (in our case 2 seasons!)...and players' bodies that slowly accumulate soft tissue injuries that need resting...
So currently player management is being forced on the side through current injuries...
I hope the Club/Coaches are not timid in learning how to use it big time as a weapon/strategy!

In understand it's only peoples opinions, but I don't think there's any way that any of Broad, Baker, Menadue or Garthwaite will be dropped this week. With Nank and Ross out, and most probably cousin Ivan and Vlas coming in, I really can't see any other changes.

Injuries or no injuries, I’m loving the young kids coming up and given a chance to play senior footy, it’s like something new every week. Had we bled the kids in late last year when our players were either carrying injuries or bad form then we probably would’ve gone all the way. I know that’s a big call but nothing beats freshness and spirit that new players inject into a team- that was my argument last year that we were too scared to give players a rest. Hope we learnt a lesson and go all the way this year.
Precisely. Now I'm stoked to see how mostly Ivan II & CCJ (for a game or 2) go.

Gidday Team- Having watched the VFL live over the last 2 and half seasons and watched Garth, Balta, Shai, develop he way they have? I really'' really'' believe that big Ivan is going to impress every one with what he can do, ''no probs''-i made a preseason post on here after the practice games had finished and made comment on Soldo being the huge improver his 2019 season! and stand by it right now [lets see if i'm wrong team]. I also went up to the GC last year to watch us play, and if you can find the replay you will see how well Ivan did filling in for Nank [sore] in his only game-he was 'very' good-and then next week he was out. He does not have to leap, he is strong, bustles and use's his big bulk well to keep the 'opp' ruck off balance and is taking the big grabs well this season-AS has been shown this season, have faith in the men coming up from vfl, they can and ''will'' perform!! Go Tigers.
I got banned from liking posts for 7 days so i have to comment that i like this post.
Thanks

Nah thats too conservative an approach for mine.

You gotta take risks to win anything and crisis creates opportunity.

I would play Balta and Broad in the ruck and I liked Broad up forward as well at times.

Now in a couple of weeks time they might need a break but I think its an opportunity like Townsend in 2017 after Griffiths went down that should be explored.

Its hard for Clarkson to coach against us with more chaos play and greater run and unpredictability!!

I thought the other young tall backman Garthwaite was handy coming in to so he can stay in for balance.

Balta in particular is young and a bit of a bull that can be let off the leash a bit like Adam Goodes and frankly he is smart enough in the ruck to avoid rough play from McEvoy in the way he competes in the ruck.

Balta could only be asked to do what he has been doing in the ruck as he has prior and not playing a different role trying to out strengthen McEvoy or anything. It would be stupidity to ask Balta to reach in his efforts in the ruck, doing a role beyond what is within himself and his capabilities as a player, and put him at risk of injury. For example I think what helps Balta in the ruck is his ungainly action and style throws opposing rucks off which helps him in the ruck contests. He should not be asked to play beyond his limits! Balta is a bit like Kruezer possibly where he might have lesser an impact in the tap but you gain more at ground level and clearance opportunities

With Balta he would be asked to compete and try to half or win rucks and not try and over exert himself anyway and Broad would be doing a Grigg type contest as well.

What needs to be understood is with injuries with have faced a few curveballs. Like 2017 crisis creates opportunity. We do not have our usual set up so to win the premiership pinnacle we probably are going to have to learn to compete a little differently before opposition teams invest in trying to counteract it if proven very successful
If Nank was only out for a week I'd do this. But its not sustainable for 2 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back