JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
Nothing wrong with at all plain and simple . People use it all the time , women use it , men use it , lol people just like to get outraged over anything these days .
Certainly not outraged over the use of 'guys' use as a plural noun other than i think YeOldTiger raised a valid point concerning his family members...
Like i previously posted personally i think it's casual/lazy thinking in this day and age...and i sympathize with YeOldTiger's post!

Certainly not outraged over the use of 'guys' use as a plural noun other than i think YeOldTiger raised a valid point concerning his family members...
Like i previously posted personally i think it's casual/lazy thinking in this day and age...and i sympathize with YeOldTiger's post!
I get where he and you are coming from. However I do think it should have been bought up in a more private setting.

YeOldTiger or their family could have easily mentioned to NaturalDisaster in a private message that they found the term offensive, if they did.

I promise you, ND and the other mods are perfectly approachable and absolutely lovely people.

tony__montana

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
So your point is...it's ok to be casually sexist?!?...guys is a masculine term...i prefer inclusive language especially acknowledging our female supporters...

Its based on perception - I dont see it as a masculine term.. If people are going to get upset by being referred to as guys then the world is well and truly ****ed

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
I get where he and you are coming from. However I do think it should have been bought up in a more private setting.

YeOldTiger or their family could have easily mentioned to NaturalDisaster in a private message that they found the term offensive, if they did.

I promise you, ND and the other mods are perfectly approachable and absolutely lovely people.
Agree...+1

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
Its based on perception - I dont see it as a masculine term.. If people are going to get upset by being referred to as guys then the world is well and truly ******
And yet people do challenge the current group mindset with applying masculine terms to females...as i stated i'm not upset/outraged and i don't get from YeOldTiger's post he was upset/outraged either...
I don't think the World is going to be well and truly ****** as you so thoughtfully put it when people raise a reasoned argument about using masculine terms to females...

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
Just not ruckguy!!!
laughing.gif

And yet people do challenge the current group mindset with applying masculine terms to females...as i stated i'm not upset/outraged and i don't get from YeOldTiger's post he was upset/outraged either...
I don't think the World is going to be well and truly ****** as you so thoughtfully put it when people raise a reasoned argument about using masculine terms to females...
I honestly hope YeOldTiger doesn’t stop posting his opinions on this board though. He is one of the better posters I’ve come across when he does post.

tony__montana

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool

A reasoned argument is not stating you dont like something bc you think its a s**t term.
If my daughters and wife were referred to as guys, they wouldnt be upset and certainly wouldnt be calling it "a s**t term". Neither would I. But does our perception not count bc we're not outraged? Once again, I and many disagree that guys used in that context is a masculine term, so where does that leave us?

Ocker

?Premiershipmond?
May 20, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Has to be ruckman it's the accepted term in the AFL!
However what shall the term be for AWFL?!?! Ruckperson?!? Ruckwoman?!? Ruckman?!? Ruckker?!?
Be interesting what the women players think!? :)
Maybe we can mid season trade in 'Superstar' Mo Hope to be our 'Ruckperson'?..

AFL / Media wet dream.

Maybe we can mid season trade in 'Superstar' Mo Hope to be our 'Ruckperson'?..

AFL / Media wet dream.
That might be enough to get me to stop supporting Richmond.

Cannot stand her!

freezer

Team Captain
Oct 25, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/guys

guys in British
(ɡaɪz)

plural noun
informal
persons of either sex

Hi, guys. How are you doing?
Mom wants to know if you guys still have that two-person tent.
So your point is...it's ok to be casually sexist?!?...guys is a masculine term...i prefer inclusive language especially acknowledging our female supporters...

Cotcho quoted a dictionary reference stating that its not a gender specific term.

Then you ask him if it’s is alright to be sexist, because he used a gender specific term?!?

Are you just keen to be outraged, or did you not read his post?

‘Guys’ is a globally accepted non gender specific term. I’ve worked in offices all over the world with 50/50 male female splits and no one has ever batted an eyelid at the term. I know girls you say it to their girlfriends all the time....and every dictionary you look at says the same thing!

It’s just plain wrong to say it’s gender specific and in anyway sexist.

Everyone has made their points on the topic of the correct wording and it has all been noted.

Let's leave it at that and carry on with the thread being used to discuss the footy!

If anyone has anything they wish to raise further about the wording used, please feel free to send us a PM and we can chat about it :)

Cotcho

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool

Dictionary says it's a a plural term for both sexes. Doesn't say it's a masculine term.
I also prefer to use inclusive terms, just like the word guys. Which means a group of people regardless of their sex.

However, people who are determined to find offence in things will always see offence in things. It's only natural I guess.

I speak Spanish at home with my wife and son. In Spanish you legitimately use masculine words to mean a group of men and women lol

Using Spanish or the use of the gender neutral word "guys" doesn't make you a sexist person sorry.

I recommend teaching non male family members how to spot real sexists and dangerous men instead of waging silly wars on respectful men. There's an old saying, Las acciones hablan más que las palabras. :)

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
A reasoned argument is not stating you dont like something bc you think its a **** term.
If my daughters and wife were referred to as guys, they wouldnt be upset and certainly wouldnt be calling it "a **** term". Neither would I. But does our perception not count bc we're not outraged? Once again, I and many disagree that guys used in that context is a masculine term, so where does that leave us?
It's a changing world more and more people are challenging the use of masculine terms for females...both male and female...
I can see their point of view...and to me it's a valid one...but it's not my issue and I'm not sure i want to engage in a lenghty brouhaha over it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back