JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
Cotcho quoted a dictionary reference stating that its not a gender specific term.

Then you ask him if it’s is alright to be sexist, because he used a gender specific term?!?

Are you just keen to be outraged, or did you not read his post?

‘Guys’ is a globally accepted non gender specific term. I’ve worked in offices all over the world with 50/50 male female splits and no one has ever batted an eyelid at the term. I know girls you say it to their girlfriends all the time....and every dictionary you look at says the same thing!

It’s just plain wrong to say it’s gender specific and in anyway sexist.
I'm not outraged...regardless of dictionary references.. i experience 'guys' as a male term...period! :)

What was all the hype with her anyway ?
I actually still don’t know the answer to that.

I freely admit I didn’t watch much AFLW the last few years but I do know there are many AFLW players who are much better footballers than she was, in the end it feels like she was only hyped because she was one of the first AFLW players.

Ok so, FOOTY TALK

I was having a chat with a few mates over a beer the other day, i reckon our youth is almost even with any team in the comp. Think about it....

Rioli, Higgins, Balta, Stack, Ross, Baker, Bolton, Garth have all shown plenty in the seniors

Then weve got guys like RCD, CCJ, Naish, Turner waiting to show what they have in the seniors but have all shown plenty in the VFL

Some excellent drafting going on these days

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
Dictionary says it's a a plural term for both sexes. Doesn't say it's a masculine term.
I also prefer to use inclusive terms, just like the word guys. Which means a group of people regardless of their sex.

However, people who are determined to find offence in things will always see offence in things. It's only natural I guess.

I speak Spanish at home with my wife and son. In Spanish you legitimately use masculine words to mean a group of men and women lol

Using Spanish or the use of the gender neutral word "guys" doesn't make you a sexist person sorry.

I recommend teaching non male family members how to spot real sexists and dangerous men instead of waging silly wars on respectful men. There's an old saying, Las acciones hablan más que las palabras. :)
I'm not Spanish i don't speak spanish and i'm not a female...
I'm an Australian male and i grew up here and to me 'guy' is a masculine term and it's not something i use in describing females..
My better half rails against the expression Mankind and uses Womankind in return...
I can see the long term value in diffusing gender specific terms and could accept guys for females as long as we return the favour by calling Males 'girls'
as in hi ya all girls! :)

Tiges1229

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Sep 26, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
I actually still don’t know the answer to that.

I freely admit I didn’t watch much AFLW the last few years but I do know there are many AFLW players who are much better footballers than she was, in the end it feels like she was only hyped because she was one of the first AFLW players.

I rekon she thinks she was the next Dusty lol I’m not a fan of women’s league as it is now , I think it will improve down the track though once players get more skilled etc etc .

Tiges1229

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Sep 26, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Ok so, FOOTY TALK

I was having a chat with a few mates over 500 beers the other day, i reckon our youth is almost even with any team in the comp. Think about it....

Rioli, Higgins, Balta, Stack, Ross, Baker, Bolton, Garth have all shown plenty in the seniors

Then weve got guys like RCD, CCJ, Naish, Turner waiting to show what they have in the seniors but have all shown plenty in the VFL

EFA :)

Cotcho

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
I'm an Australian male and i grew up here and to me 'guy' is a masculine term and it's not something i use in describing females..
My better half rails against the expression Mankind and uses Womankind in return...
I can see the long term value in diffusing gender specific terms and could accept guys for females as long as we return the favour by calling Males 'girls'

Hehe fair enough. To me it's always been used for a group of men and women. I guess that's why we should always assume people mean well and if we feel offended at something ask ourselves, "does getting offended by this say more about me or the person saying it?"
Im Australian too but I don't know how to respect my "equal half's" ;) language/culture and comply with gender neutral words for everything haha

All good. You're a good person Jaklaughing. Just an odd unit that you were brought up thinking guys means boys lol

The real issue is with people who say, "guys and girls". They're the real criminals. Confused us all

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
The real issue is with people who say, "guys and girls". They're the real criminals. Confused us all
benny hill wtf.gif

That might be enough to get me to stop supporting Richmond.

Cannot stand her!

Bit the same - incredibly overrated footballer and from what I've seen not much of a promotable footballing person. I'm sure her mum loves her though......

I thought David Tennant was your better half.

Jun 26, 2007
Newcastle
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Avalanche, Nuggets
Ok so, FOOTY TALK

I was having a chat with a few mates over a beer the other day, i reckon our youth is almost even with any team in the comp. Think about it....

Best thing we did is stop trying to poach players and work on drafting quality players who'll help us going forward. Also means we aren't paying overs for mid range talent like other clubs which is why our list looks so good.

PS, I use the term 'TEAM' when writing emails now, guys just didn't feel right, even though I mean it as a gender neutral term,

Best thing we did is stop trying to poach players and work on drafting quality players who'll help us going forward. Also means we aren't paying overs for mid range talent like other clubs which is why our list looks so good.

Yep, ive loved our approach to free agency/trades

Only targeting top end talent and filling the rest of the team with talented youth.

Been most impressed that we dont seem to have really "missed" on any draft selections over the past few drafts, excellent scouting. Jack Ross is case in point, everyone was like "who?" when we drafted him, and now look how down we all are that he is injured.... Already been a real difference maker.

Its gotten to the point where i actually get excited for our late picks in drafts.

Oct 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Heat

Tiger71

?????? King of the Micro ??????
Sep 22, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
I appreciate your comments and love your optimism but I fear the loss of Nankervis will be critical against the Hawks.
McEvoy is in stellar form and was a major factor in the Hawks win against GWS.
With your reserve ruckman already sidelined I fear Nank was the one player who you couldn't afford to lose and who you can't replace.
Fingers crossed, would love to see you beat the Hawks but I fear that Clarkson will be able to exploit the shortfalls in your current injury ravaged lineup.

Actually in most of our games we lose the ruck battle. Nank is shocking for taps to advantage, his one wood is his engine and his ability to create a contest. Now I am not sitting here saying im stocked he is gone, im not, he is a huge loss. He drives and lifts the team with his actions but as a ruck, we will be OK. I'll even put my balls on the line and say better.

You see, when he went off balta rucked. He actually impacted more contest's the Nank, without giving a free kick away as well as winning more taps then he lost. A lot of our scoring was generated with his work rate. Against the Hawks, we just need soldo or Balta to nulify the easy tap to advantage to allow us to regain first possession.

We wont lose the game because of the ruck. We will lose if we dont bring the manic repeat effort work rate, ala the dogs game. Our defense is still weak, we need pressure from up the ground to cover, we drop that we will be done and dusted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back