• 38: Noah Balta

• 42: Ryan Garthwaite

• 44: Sydney Stack

• 48: Liam Baker

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And yet people do challenge the current group mindset with applying masculine terms to females...as i stated i'm not upset/outraged and i don't get from YeOldTiger's post he was upset/outraged either...
I don't think the World is going to be well and truly ****** as you so thoughtfully put it when people raise a reasoned argument about using masculine terms to females...
It's a non gender word ,has been for years

Cotcho quoted a dictionary reference stating that its not a gender specific term.

Then you ask him if it’s is alright to be sexist, because he used a gender specific term?!?

Are you just keen to be outraged, or did you not read his post?

‘Guys’ is a globally accepted non gender specific term. I’ve worked in offices all over the world with 50/50 male female splits and no one has ever batted an eyelid at the term. I know girls you say it to their girlfriends all the time....and every dictionary you look at says the same thing!

It’s just plain wrong to say it’s gender specific and in anyway sexist.
Agree 100% correct

Actually in most of our games we lose the ruck battle. Nank is shocking for taps to advantage, his one wood is his engine and his ability to create a contest. Now I am not sitting here saying im stocked he is gone, im not, he is a huge loss. He drives and lifts the team with his actions but as a ruck, we will be OK. I'll even put my balls on the line and say better.

You see, when he went off balta rucked. He actually impacted more contest's the Nank, without giving a free kick away as well as winning more taps then he lost. A lot of our scoring was generated with his work rate. Against the Hawks, we just need soldo or Balta to nulify the easy tap to advantage to allow us to regain first possession.

We wont lose the game because of the ruck. We will lose if we dont bring the manic repeat effort work rate, ala the dogs game. Our defense is still weak, we need pressure from up the ground to cover, we drop that we will be done and dusted
Interesting perspective and I respect your opinion.
Absolutely the main factor in Richmond winning or losing is their "manic repeat effort work rate". The whole gameplan is based on putting pressure on their opponents and creating turnovers and panic. If they don't bring their hunger and aggression to the game their gameplan falls apart.

In terms of the word guys, I have never heard of an objection to it.
They do use it in cafes when they are ready to take your order and it saves time.
It's an informal word.
Women can use the term ruck!

Last edited:
Absolutely the main factor in Richmond winning or losing is their "manic repeat effort work rate". The whole gameplan is based on putting pressure on their opponents and creating turnovers and panic. If they don't bring their hunger and aggression to the game their gameplan falls apart.

The funny thing is, Richmond when we brought in the three, Nank in particular was exactly the type of character we needed to help kick start our culture on the field. He is actually bog average as a ruckman. If you take emotion out of it and ask yourself, does he win a lot of ruck contest, the honest answer is No He also concedes the most free kicks of any ruck in the league by a fair margin. What he brought to us was tough, workman like, uncompromising work rate. He is the actual poster boy for the "Richmond Way" but he has some serious limitations. Nank though is incredibly footy smart, he knows when he needs to go forward or back......

What I am excited about and we got to see it for 2 and a half quarters on Sunday is the growth potential Nank being out will bring to Balta. He is a freak engine wise, proof of that was he played nearly the most minutes of any player on the large perth ground and was still dangerous and effective in the last. He is quicker then Nank, more Agile, and more importantly has the ability to jump high just off one step. He is very green still and is still learning of his potential but now Hardwick I hope will be forced to solidify Balta in one position. god I hope that is ruck as he is the perfect type to in a couple of years as his body grows ( he is only 19) to compete with the Grundy and Gawns of the world

He just needs to grow his footy IQ and that will only come with consistent game time

Love this collingwood poster talking down our chances “but not writing us off, upsets can happen yada yada”

We are favourites with the bookies you nuffy! Jog on...

-5.5 points line bet.
Bet your house on it...or maybe in your case your skateboard.
Tigers were paying about $1.20 to the Western Bulldogs $4 to win a few weeks ago and Fremantle were favorites with the bookies to beat you last week.
(Dare I say it the Tiges were favorites paying about $1.40 to the Pies $3 head-to-head in last years Prelim)

Geez - what's with the abuse.
Just discussing football on a Football forum.
Grow up.
(Apologies to others - I realize I am on the Richmond Board - but respect goes both ways)

So any opinions apart from slagging off?
Changes for the game?
Soldo or Balta as your #1 replacement ruck?
Do you think you will beat the Hawks?
Will Richmond look to bolster their Rucks in the Mid Season draft? or do they already have a player in mind - or a midfielder perhaps?

I'm the first to admit I'm often wrong - but happy to contribute to, and listen and learn from a discussion.
Abuse is just cheap and easy, doesn't contribute anything and doesn't take much thought.
It just ends any relevant discussion and leads to petty squabbles.
I must say It's been an interesting visit to the Richmond board. Thanks to those who responded to my rants.
Anyway I'm gone...quick courteous response to Tiger71 and then outta here....I'm jogging on WA'nuffy'.
Best of luck....oh and bet responsibly.

Last edited:
The funny thing is, Richmond when we brought in the three, Nank in particular was exactly the type of character we needed to help kick start our culture on the field. He is actually bog average as a ruckman. If you take emotion out of it and ask yourself, does he win a lot of ruck contest, the honest answer is No He also concedes the most free kicks of any ruck in the league by a fair margin. What he brought to us was tough, workman like, uncompromising work rate. He is the actual poster boy for the "Richmond Way" but he has some serious limitations. Nank though is incredibly footy smart, he knows when he needs to go forward or back......

What I am excited about and we got to see it for 2 and a half quarters on Sunday is the growth potential Nank being out will bring to Balta. He is a freak engine wise, proof of that was he played nearly the most minutes of any player on the large perth ground and was still dangerous and effective in the last. He is quicker then Nank, more Agile, and more importantly has the ability to jump high just off one step. He is very green still and is still learning of his potential but now Hardwick I hope will be forced to solidify Balta in one position. god I hope that is ruck as he is the perfect type to in a couple of years as his body grows ( he is only 19) to compete with the Grundy and Gawns of the world

He just needs to grow his footy IQ and that will only come with consistent game time
Whilst being as you say "bog average as a ruckman" Nank was still able to somewhat nullify the effectiveness of his opposing ruck and your mids are accustomed to playing with him.
In terms of clearances he is on a par with many and actually ahead on yardage gained and his possession counts are good. Not a big marker but a good spoiler.
Don't know if I would want to be risking Balta playing as first ruck at the moment. You need his ability as a utility to cover other gaps through injury.
Bring in Solda as he has been rucking in the VFL. Give him his opportunity to shine. Use Balta in spurts maybe.
Do you think the Tigers will recruit another ruck in the Mid-season draft now that you have a selection after Griggs retirement? (or do they already have a player in mind?)
Long term? Yeah Balta may be an excellent ruck, shows promise, hard to judge at that age. Always a bit of a lottery with young rucks.
I'll watch with interest.
Nice talking to you.
(I think I've overstayed my welcome.)
Cheers:thumbsu:

Last edited:
Whilst being as you say "bog average as a ruckman" Nank was still able to somewhat nullify the effectiveness of his opposing ruck and your mids are accustomed to playing with him.
In terms of clearances he is on a par with many and actually ahead on yardage gained and his possession counts are good. Not a big marker but a good spoiler.
Don't know if I would want to be risking Balta playing as first ruck at the moment. You need his ability as a utility to cover other gaps through injury.
Bring in Solda as he has been rucking in the VFL. Give him his opportunity to shine. Use Balta in spurts maybe.
Do you think the Tigers will recruit another ruck in the Mid-season draft now that you have a selection after Griggs retirement? (or do they already have a player in mind?)
Long term? Yeah Balta may be an excellent ruck, shows promise, hard to judge at that age. Always a bit of a lottery with young rucks.
Nice talking to you.
Nothing wrong with your posting mate.

Nice talking to you.
Yeah I'm not sure i would want to develope Balta as a Rucking option...but at the moment he's our bestest option...given our injuries...and that's no secret!
I think he's too valuable a player to get banged up in the rucking long term...but he's learning the game here and that's valuable experience...
Personally i see him as a forward, Goodes/Kouta type, but who really knows it's early days yet with Balta and who knows what possy he'll end up playing!
But it's an exciting ride watching the young fella go about his business...
Reminds me a lot of how i felt when i was first watching Richo...just wow factor!
And also SStack!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nank ain’t much of a tap ruckman...but it’s what he brings around the ground...harassing, jostling, in their faces, getting in the right position, slotting goals

Soldo is a good tap ruck, but will need to demonstrate the other part of his game v the dawks

From what I’ve seen at VFL recently, he is becoming very competitive around the ground getting in players faces...
I’m looking forward to the duel with McEvoy

Yeah I'm not sure i would want to develope Balta as a Rucking option...but at the moment he's our bestest option...given our injuries...and that's no secret!
I think he's too valuable a player to get banged up in the rucking long term...but he's learning the game here and that's valuable experience...
Personally i see him as a forward, Goodes/Kouta type, but who really knows it's early days yet with Balta and who knows what possy he'll end up playing!
But it's an exciting ride watching the young fella go about his business...
Reminds me a lot of how i felt when i was first watching Richo...just wow factor!
And also SStack!
Are you trolling us now that the “guy” thing has settled?
“Bestest”?
...on an unrelated topic....totally agree re Balta. And Stack.

-5.5 points line bet.
Tigers were paying about $1.20 to the Western Bulldogs $4 to win a few weeks ago and Fremantle were favorites with the bookies to beat you last week.
(Dare I say it the Tiges were favorites paying about $1.40 to the Pies $3 head-to-head in last years Prelim)

Grow up.
(Apologies to others - I realize I am on the Richmond Board - but respect goes both ways)

Changes for the game?
Will Richmond look to bolster their Rucks in the Mid Season draft? or do they already have a player in mind - or a midfielder perhaps?

I'm the first to admit I'm often wrong - but happy to contribute to, and listen and learn from a discussion.
Abuse is just cheap and easy, doesn't contribute anything and doesn't take much thought.
I must say It's been an interesting visit to the Richmond board. Thanks to those who responded to my rants.
Anyway I'm gone...quick courteous response to Tiger71 and then outta here....I'm jogging on WA'nuffy'.

I have no issues with what you are posting, and certainly referring to you as a nuffy and asking you to jog on we’re not meant as “abuse” - our politicians are calling one another worse things in public ally funded ads...

But I found it bemusing that we have a multiple page conversation about the damage to our structure losing our only true ruckman would do?! Like it is a foreign concept that losing a structurally important player may hurt our chances!

Anyway off to the TAB

*kickflips*

Are you trolling us now that the “guy” thing has settled?
“Bestest”?
...on an unrelated topic....totally agree re Balta. And Stack.
I've had a fair say, sometimes that's all your able to do and you move on...
But more importantly what about Balta and SStack! Wow factors there!

I realise that. I respect you're not being intentionally sexist.
I just don't think everyone does realise.

It's more the kind of casual sexism we all fall into because always.

My wife and daughter are both Tigers in this forum. I encouraged them to join.

Perhaps just drop the "Guys" altogether. It's a s*** word if you actually mean everybody.

Will have to let the boss know who is female and starts every meeting (containing male and female staff) with "ok guys..."

All for equality and love we have womens teams now but that's getting a bit precious IMO.

Anyway back on topic I think we will be fine without Nank.

Nank ain’t much of a tap ruckman...but it’s what he brings around the ground...harassing, jostling, in their faces, getting in the right position, slotting goals

Soldo is a good tap ruck, but will need to demonstrate the other part of his game v the dawks

From what I’ve seen at VFL recently, he is becoming very competitive around the ground getting in players faces...
I’m looking forward to the duel with McEvoy

I think this is why we will be ok without Nank.

In Soldo we get a better centre square tap ruck and we have others who can cover the "harassing, jostling, in their faces, getting in the right position, slotting goals" as they do it anyway.

Trust us we know. It’s so frustrating when this happens because we know what they’re capable of. At their best they’re an absolute delight to watch and almost impossible to beat, however it’s such an exhausting game style that unfortunately they’re going to lose games here and there and lose them big. :(

I've had a fair say, sometimes that's all your able to do and you move on...
But more importantly what about Balta and SStack! Wow factors there!
Not just those two either. Bolton Baker and Ross have been brilliant.I have to admit I was nervous last year when we Let go Conca, Lloyd, Miles and Ellis (and to a lesser extent Stengle). As they were our VFL stalwarts and "solid" backup.

Not only am I surprised at how well the 5 five newbies (Balta, Stack, Ross, Baker and Bolton) have gone but that the VFL side is still holding it together, meaning we have more players banging down the door with RCD and Naish.I keep thinking each week that our depth will be tested but they keep passing. Good times!!!
And add to that had we not let our depth go last year - watching us go round in light of our injuries wouldn't be half as much fun as it currently is. What a joy it is to watch all five of the newbies. Even when we have had a bad night (Doggies) the silver lining was that the kids were amongst our best. The future is very bright.

-5.5 points line bet.

Grow up.

Changes for the game?

haha just had to drop this little nugget in there

Nice talking to you.

Good post. Unlike most of my fellow supporters I rate Nank very highly. He's only played 67 games, is still improving and going in an upward trend. Nanks work around the ground, disposals, clearances, contested work and metres gained is up there for a ruck. Hes also got that touch of mongrel which is what you need from your big guy and does a lot of the hard stuff in close that doesnt get a stat(bullocking, blocking, hard hits).

Areas he needs to improve on to become a bonafide elite ruck of the comp is take a few more marks per game, currently at 2.6, get it up to 4-4.5 and use his endurance and surprisingly good disposal around the ground a bit more, bc imho he's capable of it. Currently averaging 14.5 disposals which is good, but he's capable of 17-18 for mine. I know his disposal efficiency statistically is average, but he's actually a brilliant field kick for a big guy. I've always maintained Hitouts and hitouts to advantage are the most overrated stats in football so never been fussed that he loses the taps most weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back