Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Brandon Ellis

Votes: 14 4.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Their old guys are staying OK. It's a false success. They are still riding on their period of greatness. And somehow assuming it won't end.

Wonder whether they will do what the Roos have done and do a dramatic rebuild while they still have the mature guys with finals experience. Or whether they will try top outlast time, and end up with a huge hole when their stars go.

Sort of hope for he second one now. The Cat fans have become so precious nowadays. Expect a silver platter with gold and jewels laid out on it.
Not buying into that.
Their list breakdown is pretty stable

Juniors 18 - 21
16 players.

Development 22 - 24
8 players

Mature players 25 - 28
17 players

Veterans 29 plus
4 players. consisting of
Ablett 34 yrs old. been a great player but Geelong just last yr played in finals without him at the club.This yr hes the icing on the cake.

Taylor 32 yrs old. Has been extremely durable but has missed a big chunk this yr with a foot injury? i think. Still has a few more in him and they have a promising KPD being developed in the seniors in Koldjashnij to replace him.

J Selwood 30 yr old. Very inside player who doesnt rely on pace can see him playing on for 3 or 4 seasons.

Out side of those 4 there are two who turn 29 later this yr

Hawkins hes 28 turns 29 in July. Can see no reason why he wont play for another 3 or 4 seasons.

Henderson also 28 turns 29 in December but should be around for awhile yet.

IMO theY should be looking at trades f/a or early draft picks for the following.

With both Selwood and Ablett likely to retire over the next couple of seasons a quality mid or two.
Just like us they have some promising junior mids and they have a good core of second tier mids.

With Taylor aged 32 they should be targeting a kpd even if he retired this yr they still have Henderson and Kolodjashnij.
And they have a couple of juniors in their system.

They need to find a Kpf, imo they have that need now. they have a few younger talls on their list who knows they may already have him.
Personally id say a bloke like Tom Lynch would be ideal for them but he would be ideal for every team imo.They arent that different than us in this.
We rely heavily on Jack They rely heavily on Hawkins.

Lastly even a mid field without Ablett and J Selwood their numbers would still consist of
Dangerfield, Duncan, C Guthrie, Menegola, Kelly who im impressed with, S Selwood, Parfitt, and one whos been injured in Simpson.
Just one quality f/a or trade lets say Sloane ends up there or they manage to prize one of the Crouch boys away from the crows there,s your Selwood problem solved
With F/A and the way players can move around nowdays age is not a problem.
Personally i cant see them falling off a cliff at all.Generally and over a long time they have drafted well and they have had no problems getting players to come to their club.

What will the crowd be like Thursday Night?
Is it worth reserving a seat or just going with General admin?

I reckon it will be in the 40s

PROs
1 v 2
First home game in a bit
No game prior week so people will be keen

CONs
Etihad
Thursday Night

If you can rock up a bit early to the ground GA may be okay, but could be worth getting a seat and not needing to worry

Not buying into that.

Juniors 18 - 21
16 players.

Development 22 - 24
8 players

Mature players 25 - 28
17 players

Veterans 29 plus
4 players. consisting of
Ablett 34 yrs old. been a great player but Geelong just last yr played in finals without him at the club.This yr hes the icing on the cake.

Taylor 32 yrs old. Has been extremely durable but has missed a big chunk this yr with a foot injury? i think. Still has a few more in him and they have a promising KPD being developed in the seniors in Koldjashnij to replace him.

J Selwood 30 yr old. Very inside player who doesnt rely on pace can see him playing on for 3 or 4 seasons.

Hawkins hes 28 turns 29 in July. Can see no reason why he wont play for another 3 or 4 seasons.

IMO theY should be looking at trades f/a or early draft picks for the following.

With both Selwood and Ablett likely to retire over the next couple of seasons a quality mid or two.
Just like us they have some promising junior mids and they have a good core of second tier mids.

With Taylor aged 32 they should be targeting a kpd even if he retired this yr they still have Henderson and Kolodjashnij.

They need to find a Kpf, imo they have that need now. they have a few younger talls on their list who knows they may already have him.
Personally id say a bloke like Tom Lynch would be ideal for them but he would be ideal for every team imo.They arent that different than us in this.

Lastly even a mid field without Ablett and J Selwood their numbers would still consist of
Dangerfield, Duncan, C Guthrie, Menegola, Kelly who im impressed with, S Selwood, Parfitt, and one whos been injured in Simpson.
Just one quality f/a or trade lets say Sloane ends up there or they manage to prize one of the Crouch boys away from the crows there,s your Selwood problem solved
Personally i cant see them falling off a cliff at all.Generally and over a long time they have drafted well and they have had no problems getting players to come to their club.

I humbly disagree. Their best players are the Trinity 28, 30 and 34. Those guys dominate that side. A bit of bad luck and they basically lose their engine room. And although they aren't without young guys, compared to many other teams they are fairly ordinary. Not saying things won't change, but I'd back our youngsters against their's any day.

Plus they have a philosophy of big strong players that means they are always in the contest. But they get hammered in finals because, even though their top line group is amazing, the finals pressure lends itself to teams that can out run them, and their bottom 6 isn't great compared to other finals teams. So they have built a team to win a certain style of game. That style works because of the Trinity/Dangerwood. take that key element away and I suspect they'll find it hard.

But wait, they have the best recruiter in the land don't they?
Geelong will always be a hard game because they are so defensive and rely on physical contact. And the Trinity!

But their style is a grind where if you open them up they are totally exposed. When you open us up we have Rance, or Grimes, or Vlas. Good teams will open you up. And Geelong just have to face that fact. Doing more of the same won't get them over the line. Especially when their core and best players are the around and over 30. There's a cliff coming up for them.

Not buying into that.

Juniors 18 - 21
16 players.

Development 22 - 24
8 players

Mature players 25 - 28
17 players

Veterans 29 plus
4 players. consisting of

I bet you were devistated when Richmond beat up your Cats last week.

But wait, they have the best recruiter in the land don't they?

Absolutely!! He has recruited so many stars ... in the early 2000's.

I reckon they are still living in that period. Their style is the slowest and most 'physical' of the AFL. And that allows them to make finals - top 4. But then they get hammered in finals. We did something similar and learnt to change up what we did. Premiership and top of the ladder.

I humbly disagree. Their best players are the Trinity 28, 30 and 34. Those guys dominate that side. A bit of bad luck and they basically lose their engine room. And although they aren't without young guys, compared to many other teams they are fairly ordinary. Not saying things won't change, but I'd back our youngsters against their's any day.

Plus they have a philosophy of big strong players that means they are always in the contest. But they get hammered in finals because, even though their top line group is amazing, the finals pressure lends itself to teams that can out run them, and their bottom 6 isn't great compared to other finals teams. So they have built a team to win a certain style of game. That style works because of the Trinity/Dangerwood. take that key element away and I suspect they'll find it hard.
And we wouldnt find it hard without Martin who is just one yr younger than danger. cotchin whos 28 Jack who turns 30 in oct and Rance who turns 29 in oct also.
Take that element away and where are we.

As for our kids being better im not going there except to say ours are no better or worse than what Geelong have.
Personally i cant see em falling off a cliff any more than i can see us falling off one.
Ablett will retire at the end of next yr and play decent footy for them hes not been there for 7 yrs and in that time they have won a premiership played in 4 prelims including the last two yrs a semi final and an elimination final.They did pretty well without gazza id say.

If we took martin Cotchin prestia out and they took Selwood Ablett and Dangerfield out whats left in the mid fields

Us
Grigg another 30 yr old, Lambert, Conca, Edwards, B Ellis, C Ellis, Lloyd, Miles, Higgins, Graham, McIntosh Menadue dont think ive missed anyone.
Them
Duncan, C Guthrie, Cockatoo, Parfitt, Kelly, S Selwood, Constable, Menegola, Murdoch, Cunico, Horlin-smith, Simpson and possibly Fogerty.

Lastly and i say it again in this age of free agency and player movements where they tend to get where they want to contracted or not, Geelong have done well, as we have. There is no reason to think they wont continue to draft well and trade well for needs.Just as there is no need to think this with us lately.

They are a well run footy club successful and have a good culture.Cant see em dropping off the cliff.

Everyone said sydney would fall of a cliff as would Hawthorn but it has not happened.Geelong for the last 15 yrs have shown they can stay up and stay competetive how many times in the last 15 yrs have they missed finals twice three times maybe whats changed that suggests they will topple.

And we wouldnt find it hard without Martin who is just one yr younger than danger. cotchin whos 28 Jack who turns 30 in oct and Rance who turns 29 in oct also.

As for our kids being better im not going there except to say ours are no better or worse than what Geelong have.
Personally i cant see em falling off a cliff any more than i can see us falling off one.
Ablett will retire at the end of next yr and play decent footy for them hes not been there for 7 yrs and in that time they have won a premiership played in 4 prelims including the last two yrs a semi final and an elimination final.They did pretty well without gazza id say.

If we took martin Cotchin prestia out and they took Selwood Ablett and Dangerfield out whats left in the mid fields

Us
Grigg another 30 yr old, Lambert, Conca, Edwards, B Ellis, C Ellis, Lloyd, Miles, Higgins, Graham, McIntosh Menadue dont think ive missed anyone.
Them
Duncan, C Guthrie, Cockatoo, Parfitt, Kelly, S Selwood, Constable, Menegola, Murdoch, Cunico, Horlin-smith, Simpson and possibly Fogerty.

Lastly and i say it again in this age of free agency and player movements where they tend to get where they want to contracted or not, Geelong have done well, as we have. There is no reason to think they wont continue to draft well and trade well for needs.Just as there is no need to think this with us lately.

They are a well run footy club successful and have a good culture.Cant see em dropping off the cliff.

Everyone said sydney would fall of a cliff as would Hawthorn but it has not happened.Geelong for the last 15 yrs have shown they can stay up and stay competetive how many times in the last 15 yrs have they missed finals twice three times maybe whats changed that suggests they will topple.

Your opinion isn't obviously wrong. I don't expect them to fall off a cliff. As I said their recruiting is following a certain template. That template will lead to finals. But even with great players they don't go further.

Our stars a younger than their - but yes take the best 3 or 4 out of any side and they will be quite poor. Adelaide this year a good example of that truism.

What I did say was that I would like them to fall off a cliff. ... Because I find their fans so precious nowadays. Used to be cool the cats fans. But years of success has made them expect love and affection from all. About as annoying as many tiger fans are right now to other clubs :D

Absolutely!! He has recruited so many stars ... in the early 2000's.

I reckon they are still living in that period. Their style is the slowest and most 'physical' of the AFL. And that allows them to make finals - top 4. But then they get hammered in finals. We did something similar and learnt to change up what we did. Premiership and top of the ladder.
he still had many top pick failures too. the notion he is perfect is rubbish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he still had many top pick failures too. the notion he is perfect is rubbish.

That was the point of my rely. He picked their awesome super team. And not a lot since. He had a purple patch few ever will. But I reckon the Cats aren't going forward now on draftees. Just recycling the same same old. minus the stars.

I’m still convinced Ben Brown is just peak Tyrone with a 20% better work rate. Mind you I rated Vickery better than most so maybe it’s not a fair comparison to make

I’m still convinced Ben Brown is just peak Tyrone with a 20% better work rate. Mind you I rated Vickery better than most so maybe it’s not a fair comparison to make
s**t no. BB is a deadset gun and easy the best of the youger key forward crop. "At this stage" I'd have him over Lynch, but linch in a decent side could be anything.

Us
Them

Have you ever posted anything that slightly resembles a positive post about the richmond football club, everytime i read a post of yours im inclined slash my wrists for supporting such a pathetic inept excuse of a football club. Maybe i should start to support geelong they sound amazing

Have you ever posted anything that slightly resembles a positive post about the richmond football club, everytime i read a post of yours im inclined slash my wrists for supporting such a pathetic inept excuse of a football club. Maybe i should start to support geelong they sound amazing

As a supporter it must suck if you dont have the ability to sit back and savour victory. Poor ol mophead was critical of our list 3 days after we won the bloody flag.
That's sad

As a supporter it must suck if you dont have the ability to sit back and savour victory. Poor ol mophead was critical of our list 3 days after we won the bloody flag.
That's sad

The problem was the unpalatable truth that years of “thoughtful analysis” turned out to be horribly wrong.
Leaves 2 options.
1) Put your hand up, or
2) Maintain the rage and pretend the glorious victory never happened. Refuse to accept the footy club (that one that played the greatest finals series seen in decades) is run by accomplished experts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back