Votes: 10 4.7%
  • Brandon Ellis

Votes: 18 8.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the first time in the year our FL and midfield functioned more fluidly and I think it’s bc Caddy was not there.
Sadly I think we can’t afford to have all of him , Lynch and a Chol or Jack when he returns. Lynch has basically taken his spot. Caddy like Lynch can’t ruck , but is shorter and hence a poorer contested mark. Caddy is just as slow and can’t play in the midfield, so the reality is he’s a Mike TV version of Lynch. Our problem for weeks is we were missing the class of Sheds around the midfield and we were short a mobile defender in an Egg. Short released Stack to the FL and that sorted out our immobile and slow FL.
So really Caddy was our anchor as he made us too slow either up forward or in the guts. I’m really hesitant in bringing him back and especially if Jack returns as we may end up in the same predicament. With Stack playing the small forward and him pushing up it gives us the pace and class around those zones. Egg Houli and Short give us the exit vents out of the defence on a rotational basis. Nakkers is also to return and this again will make us taller , but Soldo goes. Chol is a massive upside on Caddy and must stay , so I’m in the opinion Lynch has taken his position. Unreal as at the season start he would have not even been mentioned in being dropped, but circumstances have changed. If fit we need to take into combat against the Pies and WCE Nakkers and Chol and not the usual Nakkers and Caddy as their rucks monster us , especially when Nakkers goes off.

For the first time in the year our FL and midfield functioned more fluidly and I think it’s bc Caddy was not there.
Sadly I think we can’t afford to have all of him , Lynch and a Chol or Jack when he returns. Lynch has basically taken his spot. Caddy like Lynch can’t ruck , but is shorter and hence a poorer contested mark. Caddy is just as slow and can’t play in the midfield, so the reality is he’s a Mike TV version of Lynch. Our problem for weeks is we were missing the class of Sheds around the midfield and we were short a mobile defender in an Egg. Short released Stack to the FL and that sorted out our immobile and slow FL.
So really Caddy was our anchor as he made us too slow either up forward or in the guts. I’m really hesitant in bringing him back and especially if Jack returns as we may end up in the same predicament. With Stack playing the small forward and him pushing up it gives us the pace and class around those zones. Egg Houli and Short give us the exit vents out of the defence on a rotational basis. Nakkers is also to return and this again will make us taller , but Soldo goes. Chol is a massive upside on Caddy and must stay , so I’m in the opinion Lynch has taken his position. Unreal as at the season start he would have not even been mentioned in being dropped, but circumstances have changed. If fit we need to take into combat against the Pies and WCE Nakkers and Chol and not the usual Nakkers and Caddy as their rucks monster us , especially when Nakkers goes off.
Agreed. It’s an unpopular opinion and an unfolding situation that may be a little hard to swallow given the role he played in our success, but I’m starting to think Caddy doesn’t really fit into our side anymore too. Chol’s height gives us the flexibility to play him as a 2nd ruck and as a 3rd KPF. His marking can also be used in defence as well if we need it.

Caddy’s best hope to remain in the side after the acquisition of Lynch was to become a big-bodied full-time midfielder and that hasn’t really worked out.

There might actually be some warrant to this no caddy...

rather than just the normal over reaction to a one week success without a certain player involved this forum loves to have..

The forward line did look exceptionally dangerous... loved our work rate and leading patterns. Albeit against a very pedestrian side
Helped that Edwards was back in the middle delivering it
Cotchin looked amazing too

2019 let’s go boys!

If Bolton is dropped for Caddy ,who has been underwhelming this year and is a plodder in the midfield, then no-one at Richmond has cause to complain if he decides to leave at the end of the year. You dick around someone with his talent after a performance like yesterdays you do it at your own peril. Frankly we'd deserve to lose him.
I't's purely my opinion buddy and I respect yours :thumbsu:

Geez there are a lot of sooks early in this thread! We won the game by 92 points. Gold Coast have been competitive in most their games this season.
Cats struggled for the first 3 quarters and only got home by 27 in the last. Their biggest two losses, 83 and 73 pts were away from home, with Brizzy 49pt loss their biggest at home. Apart from that they've had 6 win/losses under 6 pts.
We were commanding, a very strong win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Others seem to be quickly overtaking Rioli whose position no longer seems to be guaranteed.

I think it’s only short term he’s got too much ability to be out for any extended period but will need to improve to be guaranteed a finals spot.

Still remember him in that final against GWS where he was electrifying
Rioli is a very good player at his best, he’s just not at his best at the moment.

I wonder what’s up with him?

Is he just going through a form slump? Is there something personal going on? Hopefully whatever it is he can work his way through it eventually.

If you look closely at the match highlights, Rioli sets up a number of goals.
I think the team is more or less settled.
JR, Caddy and, eventually, Nank to return.
The midfield reunites, Cotch, Prestia, Lambs, Sheds, providing greater supply to the forwards.
People tend to forget Caddy intimidates Geelong, which is a plus.
Will be difficult for Baker, Butler, Garthwaite, Higgins, Markov, Menadue, Townsend to be selected in the seniors.
Butler can be traded.

Last edited:
I think Caddy showed at both Geelong and GC he's not good enough to be a pure mid. With us in 2017, he was forced to play the second tall position and he was great. It meant we didn't need to put Martin or Cotchin down in the goalsquare so often, and Caddy was an excellent match-up for us - ie too big for those guys with his speed, too fast for those guys big enough. He was a good contested mark.

However, his role was to let Jack roam around the forward line, and himself to swoop in wherever and fill the holes. as he saw fit. He wasn't a key - he was the cream on the cake. 2nd option. With Jack out, Lynch played more of a stay-at-home roler, which meant Caddy had to play more as a target (Jack's old role). That's a big ask, and so far he hasn't handled it.

He's too good to throw away permanently, but he has to accept that he's NOT a pure mid (which was one of his stated reasons for leaving Geelong - to get more time as a mid). He's a 2nd or 3rd forward option.

I'm shocked to see so many suggestions of dropping Chol or Bolton.

Bolton was close to BoG and adds another dimension to our team

Chol is our back up ruck who can play forward or back. Who is going to ruck if he isnt playing? Lynch or Jack are no chance.

I think it will just be Egg out for Riewoldt.

Harsh on Egg and I hope we can still structure up to leave Edward's in the middle more.

Look it's a good position to be in to have a surplus of players vying for spots.
No one deserves to be omitted but someone has to make way for JR.
It was a choice they agonised over between Castagna and Butler.
Butler was given ample opportunities but failed to step up.
Rioli had 7 score involvements, has done enough.
If it's a choice between Chol and Balta, they selected Chol.
Balta was given multiple chances.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back