Votes: 10 4.7%
  • Brandon Ellis

Votes: 18 8.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't actually rate Caddy all that much as a player but I think he 100% needs to come into the team. If there's one thing we lack it's physical presence and aggression. We seem to walk taller with Cads in the team. He's always in amongst it flying the flag and giving lip. I actually think that's pretty important for our balance.

thats all good and well but what about the centre bounce when Nank is off?

just going to give teams free run to do whatever they want and expose our backline?

no thanks!
What we also have to remember is Nank is a big lumbering guy, he won't set the world on fire on his return so will require adequate support initially. Chol is probably our most mobile option plus his utility skills means he can plug gaps elsewhere if need be, Soldo can't offer this flexibility.

I'm shocked to see so many suggestions of dropping Chol or Bolton.

Bolton was close to BoG and adds another dimension to our team

Chol is our back up ruck who can play forward or back. Who is going to ruck if he isnt playing? Lynch or Jack are no chance.

I think it will just be Egg out for Riewoldt.

Harsh on Egg and I hope we can still structure up to leave Edward's in the middle more.

Thank god we don’t actually select the side in here 😂😂

Thank god we don’t actually select the side in here 😂😂

Haha normally I'd agree. But it's getting bloody harder by the day. Jack and Caddy. Soon Nank, Ross and Pickett!!! I don't envy having to make those calls at all. So much for trading away all our depth. Imagine we still had Lloyd, Miles and Conca on the list.

I don't actually rate Caddy all that much as a player but I think he 100% needs to come into the team. If there's one thing we lack it's physical presence and aggression. We seem to walk taller with Cads in the team. He's always in amongst it flying the flag and giving lip. I actually think that's pretty important for our balance.
His best is very good just a bit inconsistent.
When he’s red hot is a very dangerous forward, in the air and on the ground - a match winner.
I’m a bit disappointed since coming over he hasn’t developed his midfield craft.

True - but we’ve not played tall for a long time, goes completely against our philosophy.

It is interesting, we went very tall against Carlton round 1 by including Balta along with a pure ruck.

It’s hard to tell because we’ve had key tall players missing every week since round 2. The coaching staff wouldn’t have even known what our optimal make up would’ve looked like after round 1.

I think if we had no injuries this year, we would’ve done a fair bit of experimenting early in the year to get the balance right.

Very curious to see what we do from here given we have no margin for error.
One things for sure...the oppo hasn’t had 25 rnds to get ready for what we’re gonna do

I'd keep chol in over Caddy. Our two greatest structural weaknesses have been clearances and competing in the air and in the ruck. Frankly there have been times we have been utterly monstered in both. Chol as a mobile marking ruckman provides something that has desperately been missing. Plus his groundwork for a man his size almost makes him an additional midfielder during clearances. Moreover a Chol in the side means that we aren't completely helpless like we have been previously when a Mason Cox cuts loose. At last we have an option to fight back, a player that can compete on equal terms. Caddy is a fine medium forward, but if you throw Caddy in the mix with Lynch Riewoldt and Chol it potentially makes our forward line too top heavy and slow, and frankly as a midfielder I'd pick Baker and Ross (when available) in a heartbeat before him. Let him work his way back through the reserves. Team balance comes first, and with a ruckman as limited as Soldo playing chol needs to stay.

Last edited:
Yes - but has been forced to play a completely different role because our forward line has been so unsettled this year.

He has runs on the board, and needs as much time to work out how to play with Lynch and Jack in the same forward line - playing in the 2s isn’t going to help that.

We need continuity in our forward line leading into finals. Chol has been handy, but he won’t be playing in September if our list is healthy - no point wasting games on him when Caddy can be building synergy with Jack and Lynch.
They ain’t dropping chol.

Reality is, with Jack and Caddy likely to come back in, Chol and Egg will go out.

Chol has been serviceable, but reality is we can’t keep him in with Lynch and Jack - it’ll be too tall and we need to get the Jack and Lynch combination sorted before finals.

Soldo will need to take on more ruckwork.
Nah cant see chol going. Remember he isnt a dinasaur slow player, he has speed to burn. Also we have recognised we need a tall 2nd ruck, so since jack and Tom cant ruck then Chol is the man.

True - but we’ve not played tall for a long time, goes completely against our philosophy.

It is interesting, we went very tall against Carlton round 1 by including Balta along with a pure ruck.

It’s hard to tell because we’ve had key tall players missing every week since round 2. The coaching staff wouldn’t have even known what our optimal make up would’ve looked like after round 1.

I think if we had no injuries this year, we would’ve done a fair bit of experimenting early in the year to get the balance right.

Very curious to see what we do from here given we have no margin for error.
Yes but we have recognised we need to change, hence playing balta. So disagree we wont ply the three.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree.

While good in theory, you can’t just blindly reward form. We need to have one eye on what our best side looks like come finals.

Chol has been serviceable against the 2 poorest teams in the competition. He’s shown enough to justify a spot on the list as backup.

Caddy may be out of form and may not deserve a spot, but when firing he is Cleary in our best half dozen - he needs to be given an opportunity to build into some form leading into finals.

Forward line has been unsettled all year, he needs a chance to build some continuity with Jack and Lynch.

No point playing Chol on form and then leaving Caddy in the 2s come finals.

I’d much rather Caddy in the side come September.

Out: Egg, Chol
In: Jack, Caddy

Caddy to split midfield minutes with Shedda.

One of those two poorest teams in the competition got a jump on us and led us by 18 points in the first quarter. Chol was far more than just 'serviceable' with his three goals and play around the ground. He one of our best and one of the reasons we won. There is no reason why Caddy can't work his way back into the seniors through the reserves if his form warrants it (and assuming there is actually a place for him that doesn't upset team balance).

Chol doesn’t fit. Played ok against a poor side in St Kilda and a training run up on the GC.

Barring injury, he won’t be in the side come September - either due to form, or structure.

We’ve already added Lynch - we lose too much defensive pressure having another tall.

I think wehere it’ll land will be Nankervis taking on a big ruck load, and getting some pinch hitting from talls in F50 and D50.
He was good v the crows mate.

I can't believe a majority of people want to keep Chol ahead of Caddy. We're talking about a 150 game player who can kick 2.5 goals a game over a length of a whole season, compared to a bloke who's had one and a half good games and who has had a combined total of 18 hitouts as a backup ruckman in his last two matches. If we're playing Chol in September we're off where we want to be. Rotate the ruck duties according to field position (Astbury, Kamdyn, Lynch). Trial it now, perfect it and be ready for September. No point winning a few more hitouts now when we have the chance to get our finals system right.

Went to the GC to watch the game for the first time. 80% Richmond supporters. Hard to see how football is going to take off there.

The problem is expats very rarely change teams and parents very rarely let their kids barrack for someone else.

The Gold Coast is a wasteland for sporting teams, they'd be better off sending them to tassie and focussing on the giants getting a toehold in the aspirational suburbs of Sydney.

Look don’t want to burst your bubble, but if your percentage is not over 100 in the granny you won’t win it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 oppo players on the ground and you can win it with a % of zero 😁

They gave Balta a good run and decided Chol was better.
Still, then they have to decide between Caddy and Chol, unless they drop a small player.
The other conundrum is Jack's return will deplete the defence with the omission of Egg.
Will have to get one of the smaller mids to push back.
Can't see Higgins returning in the short-term.
Need Graham to target Coniglio, Kelly is injured.

Last edited:
F Castagna Riewoldt Bolton
Lambert Lynch Rioli
Graham Prestia Edwards
Houli Vlaustin Short
Broad Grimes Astbury
Foll Soldo Martin Cotchin
i Caddy* Ellis KMc Stack
(Caddy or Chol line ball)
The team is largely settled.
Don't wish injuries, we've had enough of those.
Trade Butler at end of year, no room at the inn with Bolton and Stack in the team.

Last edited:
Chol doesn’t fit. Played ok against a poor side in St Kilda and a training run up on the GC.

Barring injury, he won’t be in the side come September - either due to form, or structure.

We’ve already added Lynch - we lose too much defensive pressure having another tall.

I think wehere it’ll land will be Nankervis taking on a big ruck load, and getting some pinch hitting from talls in F50 and D50.
I agree. A lot will have to go Chols way to be playing in September. So far one good game doesn't pencil him in. His game on Saturday was disappointing considering the lack of skill and pressure the opposition dished up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back