Votes: 109 49.1%
  • Jayden Short

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Shai Bolton

Votes: 175 78.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Synergy. Where the output of the whole is greater than the sum of the individual efforts.

If you have a settled, predictable defence, you're half way there.
This guy gets it ^^^^^^
Hate to quote myself here, but thought bubble happened.

Remember when Rance went down? When we got smacked by the Pies, and Grimes and Astbury were pointing and yelling at players? The system had been broken with the Rance injury, and it took time to resettle (as well as other missing parts in the next period)

Now everyone is back in a groove, it's working again. Is Broad a superstar? No. He's an important role player. Anyone watch his gut running on the weekend? He ran so hard he spent 3/4 throwing up. If he (or anyone else) comes out now, it happens again. An adjustment period. Now is not the time, we can't afford it.

Everyone knows exactly what everyone else will do. Expected behaviours play a massive role in everyone being able to play their role. Vlas/Grimes/Dave/Houli/Broad/Shortyu can all do what they have to because they KNOW the others are doing what they need to. They TRUST each other. No knock on Garth, but the others didn't know EXACTLY what he was going to do. It affects his performance, and the others as well.

This is doubly important in defence.

Let's smash Port and send Kenneth on his way.

Actual shot of Phil Davis after dealing with the Jack and Tom show:

jSy0Hjb_d.jpg
These have all appeared recently. Who is doing these? They're great!!

Hate to quote myself here, but thought bubble happened.

Remember when Rance went down? When we got smacked by the Pies, and Grimes and Astbury were pointing and yelling at players? The system had been broken with the Rance injury, and it took time to resettle (as well as other missing parts in the next period)

Now everyone is back in a groove, it's working again. Is Broad a superstar? No. He's an important role player. Anyone watch his gut running on the weekend? He ran so hard he spent 3/4 throwing up. If he (or anyone else) comes out now, it happens again. An adjustment period. Now is not the time, we can't afford it.

Everyone knows exactly what everyone else will do. Expected behaviours play a massive role in everyone being able to play their role. Vlas/Grimes/Dave/Houli/Broad/Shortyu can all do what they have to because they KNOW the others are doing what they need to. They TRUST each other. No knock on Garth, but the others didn't know EXACTLY what he was going to do. It affects his performance, and the others as well.

This is doubly important in defence.

Let's smash Port and send Kenneth on his way.

Bingo is the name-o. Spot on buddy.

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower

It's always tough coming to the MCG especially for the Giants..it's their kryptonite..anyhow..Your guys looked pretty cool..and will give the other teams a decent run come finals time..saw & witnessed the 2017 crowd roar during the prelim final and it was genuinely scary loud. Heaven help any side who faces that!..anyhow all the best for the remainder of the season.Love watching Bacher Houli play..especially how he executes the ball drop before a kick..text book stuff..enjoy some snaps we took...

footyd.jpg

footy4.jpg

footye.jpg

soldoswb.jpg

Am I the only one that can see Broad is a spud? The dude loses contests and has bad decision making and footskills. It’s been like this for ages.
My daughter who is a very good judge sometimes harsh has a name for certain players one being a hack and a spud she refers to Broad as a spud for the reasons u have quoted
No doubt we will be howled down by Broad fans I do not dispute he has a number of great measures but it’s is his decision making and footskills especially his left foot which I cringe every time he does it cause more likely than not it becomes a turnover
Arguments he is doing his role but for me he is our 20th to 26th best player
Hopefully if he stays we will both be proved wrong but 3 years of seeing Broad your description is in my opinion spot on

The thing about our defence is it’s the sum of all parts. Our defence has been missing Rance, Short, Astbury and Houli (?) at times this year. The fact we got to the bye with a positive win loss record was remarkable.
If we didn’t have guys like Broad playing, I guarantee you, it would of been even worse again. He has had a solid year. He’s a lock. And it appears the tiger coaches agree with my sentiments over the knockers.
Broad and Vlaus allow Grimes to play his game. Grimes and Vlaus allow Broad to olay his game. Grimes snd Broad allow Vlaus to do his thing etc etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I thought we weren't allowed to use knockers and Broad in the same sentence!!! And what were your sentiments about them??

I thought we weren't allowed to use knockers and Broad in the same sentence!!! And what were your sentiments about them??

Jack Watts defence ;)

Am I the only one that can see Broad is a spud? The dude loses contests and has bad decision making and footskills. It’s been like this for ages.

Last game for example.....
c7f296435efbe6915d47c35f9025c8e6.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

V pies this year where they played keepings off. Do the Broad haters want me to go on with facts, or should we just read more generalised assumptions?

7b8822478f86b7425e0c8968900464a2.jpg

It's always tough coming to the MCG especially for the Giants..it's their kryptonite..anyhow..Your guys looked pretty cool..and will give the other teams a decent run come finals time..saw & witnessed the 2017 crowd roar during the prelim final and it was genuinely scary loud. Heaven help any side who faces that!..anyhow all the best for the remainder of the season.Love watching Bacher Houli play..especially how he executes the ball drop before a kick..text book stuff..enjoy some snaps we took...

View attachment 710121

View attachment 710122

View attachment 710124

View attachment 710126
Some great pics, thank you.

The young fella Hill, that was quite a debut, he looked good. And Haynes was excellent.

V pies this year where they played keepings off. Do the Broad haters want me to go on with facts, or should we just read more generalised assumptions?

7b8822478f86b7425e0c8968900464a2.jpg

This is the first week post Rance when we were headless. I'd reckon a lot of the backs had s**t stats that day. But lately with everyone back, connection. Who'd have thought eh?

Here's the thing. No club can have 22 superstars. You have to have role players. KMac, role player. Castagna, role player.

Broad, role player.

Find me someone as physical, with as big a tank, as much pace and courage as Broad for the same coin.

Then we'll talk.

This is the first week post Rance when we were headless. I'd reckon a lot of the backs had s**t stats that day. But lately with everyone back, connection. Who'd have thought eh?

Me and me stupid facts hey. It just blows my mind how people just generalise on perception or have no feel or understanding of the game. It’s like they don’t even watch us. You have to go and watch live to appreciate how our back 6 works and have worked.

Me and me stupid facts hey. It just blows my mind how people just generalise on perception or have no feel or understanding of the game. It’s like they don’t even watch us. You have to go and watch live to appreciate how our back 6 works and have worked.

Yep.

Watching Astbury and Grimes wax as the loose on the weekend was awesome. The reason we can keep a loose is because often it's not the same one. The oppo think it's sorted because Grimes has been picked up, without realising Dave is now loose.

There was great footage from overhead on OTC last night about how our deepest defender actually retreats whilst setting the others up.

Here's the thing. No club can have 22 superstars. You have to have role players. KMac, role player. Castagna, role player.

Broad, role player.

Find me someone as physical, with as big a tank, as much pace and courage as Broad for the same coin.

Then we'll talk.

GWS are meant to have 22 superstars. How’s it going for them?
How did Geelong recruit in the off season? Oh that’s right, role players in Dalhaus and Rohan. And a couple of young fellas who have come in? Oh, that’s right, role players.
You need them to win.

Yep.

Watching Astbury and Grimes wax as the loose on the weekend was awesome. The reason we can keep a loose is because often it's not the same one. The oppo think it's sorted because Grimes has been picked up, without realising Dave is now loose.

There was great footage from overhead on OTC last night about how our deepest defender actually retreats whilst setting the others up.

Yep, Broad was doing it as well. It’s a unit. Not 6 blokes doing random s**t.

Honestly, I agree with you if you’re talking 2017 and 2018, but disagree with you this year.

What I am more interested in seeing is how many defensive contests he has lost this year. He has lost 33.3% of his defensive contests this year. Let’s compare that to someone like Grimes, who is sitting at 18.5%. Much better. We ripped into Garthwaite on this board while he was sitting at 35.7%, which isn’t great, but is quite comparable to Broad’s numbers. I wouldn’t be saying this if it wasn’t evident when watching the game either. Grimes wins a lot of his defensive battles whereas the other two do not.

We need him to defend better than he is right now as a defender because he is not playing an offensive role in our backline. Yes, he’s been affected by Rance missing given that he’s now playing on bigger players but I think he could do better defensively
Name me one campaigner that has kicked
A bag on him? You can't. Bloke is an unheralded gun

Back