Votes: 109 49.1%
  • Jayden Short

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Shai Bolton

Votes: 175 78.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't get the Broad hate, he has had one of his best years.

Yeah he makes * ups, but so does Grimes, Astbury, Vlastuin etc. We just let them slide because they are gun players where as Broad is not.

The word "spud" is something thrown around far too easily on this site.

Honestly, I agree with you if you’re talking 2017 and 2018, but disagree with you this year.

What I am more interested in seeing is how many defensive contests he has lost this year. He has lost 33.3% of his defensive contests this year. Let’s compare that to someone like Grimes, who is sitting at 18.5%. Much better. We ripped into Garthwaite on this board while he was sitting at 35.7%, which isn’t great, but is quite comparable to Broad’s numbers. I wouldn’t be saying this if it wasn’t evident when watching the game either. Grimes wins a lot of his defensive battles whereas the other two do not.

We need him to defend better than he is right now as a defender because he is not playing an offensive role in our backline. Yes, he’s been affected by Rance missing given that he’s now playing on bigger players but I think he could do better defensively

Thats exactly what i was just about to post, glad i scrolled back and read a few pages :). I was actually really happy to see him replace shorty in the defence late in 2017 bc I felt we needed a better defender than Short, plus he gave us flexibility with his height and speed. He was a no nonsense defend first distribute second player. His disposal has tidied up markedly since then and is no longer an exploitative weakness, but I've felt his defending in contests has dropped away. Im sure another preseason and year in the system will see him find the right balance but thats the only criticism I have of him atm and thats probably been exposed more now with rance out and him having to rotate on the Key forwards at times. If he can tighten up, that will go a long way to us going balls deep this finals series.

Don't get the Broad hate, he has had one of his best years.

Yeah he makes fu** ups, but so does Grimes, Astbury, Vlastuin etc. We just let them slide because they are gun players where as Broad is not.

The word "spud" is something thrown around far too easily on this site.

Vlastuin doesnt do much wrong.

It's always tough coming to the MCG especially for the Giants..it's their kryptonite..anyhow..Your guys looked pretty cool..and will give the other teams a decent run come finals time..saw & witnessed the 2017 crowd roar during the prelim final and it was genuinely scary loud. Heaven help any side who faces that!..anyhow all the best for the remainder of the season.Love watching Bacher Houli play..especially how he executes the ball drop before a kick..text book stuff..enjoy some snaps we took...

View attachment 710121

View attachment 710122

View attachment 710124

View attachment 710126
Good post and pics given the outcome thanks.
Mentioned to a mate after the win that missing Kelly, Ward, Coniglio and Patton would be similar to us being down something like Martin, Cotchin, Lambert and Lynch. Plus Dusty not having to worry about DeBoar.

Here's the thing. No club can have 22 superstars. You have to have role players. KMac, role player. Castagna, role player.

Broad, role player.

Find me someone as physical, with as big a tank, as much pace and courage as Broad for the same coin.

Then we'll talk.
Broad, Costagna and McIntosh will all invite criticism and understandably. They're all frustrating at times. But as you say all good teams have a few solid citizens that the coach likes due to playing their role well and some weaknesses are forgiven.

I just watched the replay again... was at the game also. Just want to settle a couple of things...
Broad - to the campaigners who got stuck into him explain just where he did anything wrong. An ootf under pressure, so what... He was awesome, created plays, intercepts, pressured opponents and beat Cameron in the goal square to save a goal.
Rioli - working into some great form. He's not far away from doing some of his sensational stuff.
Ellis - had a good game. Only mistakes he made was not kicking straight for goal
Egg - has shown some good signs but he's not up to the level this season... if our roleplayers made the mistakes he did there would be meltdown around here and that would be understandable.

Lynch Bolton Astbury Stack Lambert Houli Flossy were all brilliant.

Jack and Lynch combo looks very promising.
The backup rucks are very serviceable.
The back line system seems to have adapted without Rance.

In: Caddy
Out: Egg

Sheds/Stack back to the half back line

Name me one campaigner that has kicked
A bag on him? You can't. Bloke is an unheralded gun
Disagree, he’s not a gun this year from what I have seen. If he was then he would not have been omitted by Hardwick against Geelong. If you say that Grimes has been a gun then I agree. You can see it when he plays, the stats back it up and the selection committee did as well. It’s simply not the case with Broad.

Broad was very good in 2017 and 2018 so he obviously has a place in our team, but I see him make decisions in defence this year that costs us too many times. He had a great game against GWS though so I believe his best is good for us. We just need to see more of that this year.

Plan A,B,C for Robbie Gray??

Worried about him this week along with Port. I think he has been a big part of Ports weekly hot cold rotations.

My daughter who is a very good judge sometimes harsh has a name for certain players one being a hack and a spud she refers to Broad as a spud for the reasons u have quoted
No doubt we will be howled down by Broad fans I do not dispute he has a number of great measures but it’s is his decision making and footskills especially his left foot which I cringe every time he does it cause more likely than not it becomes a turnover
Arguments he is doing his role but for me he is our 20th to 26th best player
Hopefully if he stays we will both be proved wrong but 3 years of seeing Broad your description is in my opinion spot on
Ok, I understand what you're saying.

But "spud" is way, way, WAY too harsh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats exactly what i was just about to post, glad i scrolled back and read a few pages :). I was actually really happy to see him replace shorty in the defence late in 2017 bc I felt we needed a better defender than Short, plus he gave us flexibility with his height and speed. He was a no nonsense defend first distribute second player. His disposal has tidied up markedly since then and is no longer an exploitative weakness, but I've felt his defending in contests has dropped away. Im sure another preseason and year in the system will see him find the right balance but thats the only criticism I have of him atm and thats probably been exposed more now with rance out and him having to rotate on the Key forwards at times. If he can tighten up, that will go a long way to us going balls deep this finals series.

I just think he is probably being asked to defend players he otherwise wouldn't have to if Rance was around - so in that light i think he is actually doing a very good job.

Plan A,B,C for Robbie Gray??

Worried about him this week along with Port. I think he has been a big part of Ports weekly hot cold rotations.
When he's playing forward, Grimes. On ball, not sure. Maybe Lambert?

This should be another 5+ goal win. Depends which Port rocks up though. The one that beat cats, or the one that got flogged last week. This their 'on' week though...
I think it's their 'on' week when the opposition aren't at their best and don't apply enough pressure. If the opposition come to play, then Port just fold up.

Last edited:
I just think he is probably being asked to defend players he otherwise wouldn't have to if Rance was around - so in that light i think he is actually doing a very good job.

Yep but it could be better bc it was in the past so its not like were expecting something hes not capable of. Anyhow its only a small criticism, overall hes a lock in this defence and has been exceptional value

Back