Autopsy Roast & Toast vs Melbourne & Changes for Carlton

Best players vs Melbourne

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I heard that and took the same opinion.

We will see how selection goes but i guess i see it differently to everyone else. People are forgetting that what Chol offers around the ground is what every single other player under 7 foot offers. Pace, agility, good skills offers. We've already got heaps of players like that. We need ruckman that can impact stoppages whether that's in the middle or boundary throw ins.
Yep. The reality is that chol is a very average ruckman. Part-time at best. His best asset is his kicking for goal which is exceptional... personally I don't think there's anything lost if nank replaces chol. I don't really care who they drop though as long as Nank comes back in

Bring in big boy Balta l say.....he has X factor and can change a game.....I’d do that just to make us even more unpredictable. And he is no more a liability than baker, butler, Bolton, chol. I do like Bolton and chol btw.
Edit...Gee nearly forgot about nank. Is he playing?

Bring in big boy Balta l say.....he has X factor and can change a game.....I’d do that just to make us even more unpredictable. And he is no more a liability than baker, butler, Bolton, chol. I do like Bolton and chol btw.
Edit...Gee nearly forgot about nank. Is he playing?

As much as I hate to say it... Balta's last couple of AFL games he played, he was a liability. low disposal numbers , mimimal impact and poor decision making at times.

No one is mentioning exactly what Nankervis gives us. He isnt a winning ruckman but he manages to even contests often and then becomes a hard working big mid throwing his weight around creating room for the mids.Its his greatest asset and when you couple it with him taking marks around the ground something Soldo is still very poor at then playing Nankervis is a no brainer.

Neither Soldo or Nankervis have the agility or pace to play kpp.Soldo being so poor in the air certainly shouldnt be looked upon as one.

On wce they are a big team and they use their talls to hurt the opposition.

Down back they have three blokes all 196cm and they are all good players. Barass 196/96 a stopper, McGovern 196/99 a bit like rance one of the best interceptors going around and Schofield 196/92 who not only can play on smaller types but play as a stopper and does provide some run. generally means oppo tall are not going to hurt them.
Fwd they play Allen 192cm a Gunston type, Darling while not super tall at 192cm is powerfully built and very mobile sort of gets arond the park like our own JR. and of course Kennedy at 196/103 is both tall and powerful.At their feet quick skillful smalls in Ryan and Rioli and a defensive small in Cripps.

On top of this they have had a tendency to play two ruckmen. They are hoping to get Naitanui back for finals and will likely play Hickey or Vardy with him if he does get back.

Most would say they are too tall but this has been a very normal set up for them for yrs and won them a flag last yr.Most of their talls are not dinosaurs instead most are good movers and agile. They compliment these blokes with enough players of real pace and they stay big in most cases with 190cm mids like Yeo and Redden.

This is a team we will have to beat to win the flag this is the sort of structure we will have to nullify.

As much as I hate to say it... Balta's last couple of AFL games he played, he was a liability. low disposal numbers , mimimal impact and poor decision making at times.
Yes, but he also did some amazing things as well. On the wing and given free rain he would excel if he clicks.
I felt like he didn’t get a chance to settle much as he was thrown around a bit. Needs to mature that’s for sure.

No one is mentioning exactly what Nankervis gives us. He isnt a winning ruckman but he manages to even contests often and then becomes a hard working big mid throwing his weight around creating room for the mids.Its his greatest asset and when you couple it with him taking marks around the ground something Soldo is still very poor at then playing Nankervis is a no brainer.

Neither Soldo or Nankervis have the agility or pace to play kpp.Soldo being so poor in the air certainly shouldnt be looked upon as one.

On wce they are a big team and they use their talls to hurt the opposition.

Down back they have three blokes all 196cm and they are all good players. Barass 196/96 a stopper, McGovern 196/99 a bit like rance one of the best interceptors going around and Schofield 196/92 who not only can play on smaller types but play as a stopper and does provide some run. generally means oppo tall are not going to hurt them.
Fwd they play Allen 192cm a Gunston type, Darling while not super tall at 192cm is powerfully built and very mobile sort of gets arond the park like our own JR. and of course Kennedy at 196/103 is both tall and powerful.At their feet quick skillful smalls in Ryan and Rioli and a defensive small in Cripps.

On top of this they have had a tendency to play two ruckmen. They are hoping to get Naitanui back for finals and will likely play Hickey or Vardy with him if he does get back.

Most would say they are too tall but this has been a very normal set up for them for yrs and won them a flag last yr.Most of their talls are not dinosaurs instead most are good movers and agile. They compliment these blokes with enough players of real pace and they stay big in most cases with 190cm mids like Yeo and Redden.

This is a team we will have to beat to win the flag this is the sort of structure we will have to nullify.

I rate them highly going along nicely, but they don't fear me.The only position that may give us trouble is there small skilled forwards there forward line best in the business there big forwards don't worry me to much tho.McGovern you have to make him accountable or else marks everything clubs have did this and it disrupts there backline.Also think they don't have a matchup for Lynch either let's not forget Lynch is the best monster forward in the competition at the moment.

They are a tall side, but I thing your skills and footy smarts need to be spot on when playing them or else they cut you up.I think our pace can trouble them tho.Nank can certainly play forward good mark and kick and no slouch for pace either.

Dont care who comes in, so long as butler goes out.

And we win.
In fairness to Butler he actually did a couple of good things. Was involved with the Caddy goal. If we didn't have such competition for spots and if it wasn't so close to finals I'd be happy to see him go around again. Speaking of Caddy ~ also not a bad game. Baker: I don't like in the backline. And I'd start playing my preferred ruck combo, Nankdo. This week and next, against the premiers and their ruck combo. And out of Ross & Pickett play em when they are deemed fit. I'd rest Stack for one more.
OUT: Chol, Butler
INs: Nank ???

The ruck decision won't come down to what happens with the #1 ruck spot, Clearly Nank can do that, and Soldo has proven through form he can carry the workload.

It will come down to what the #2 ruck/fwd looks like, and what we want it to look like against Geelong/WCE/Bris not what it looks like against Carlton.

If WCE are the perceived mark we need to beat to win the flag, what does it look like against them?
Do we believe that Nank/Soldo when playing forward can keep one of McGovern, Barass, McKenzie busy so that they can't use their 3rd man up to disrupt Lynch/JR

So the question will be one of the following depending on starting ruck:

Nank Starting - Can Soldo offer the mobility, engagement and potential scoreboard pressure that Chol offers?
Soldo Starting - Can Nank offer the mobility, engagement and potential scoreboard pressure that Chol offers?

Keeping in mind, The second ruck for two teams are very weak, Allen from WC, Geelong can't even settle on a number one ruckman. Brisban pose the biggest challenge with Martin and the Big O
Had a look at Brizzy last week & the big O is Soldo- like. Tall and slow. Martin more mobile. But TBH the dogs ruckman beat them. The point of difference about Brizzy is that they have one other tall fwd. (we have 2) So Martin/McI stay on the ground big minutes. Nank is going to have to drop some minutes when he comes back. No point Soldo/Chol being on the bench for half a game. We start doing that and we may as well, not have a 2nd ruckman & play Kmac as a pinch hitter

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a look at Brizzy last week & the big O is Soldo- like. Tall and slow. Martin more mobile. But TBH the dogs ruckman beat them. The point of difference about Brizzy is that they have one other tall fwd. (we have 2) So Martin/McI stay on the ground big minutes. Nank is going to have to drop some minutes when he comes back. No point Soldo/Chol being on the bench for half a game. We start doing that and we may as well, not have a 2nd ruckman & play Kmac as a pinch hitter
Had a look at the 4 winning games r17-20, 2017 when Nank and Soldo rucked together.
Nank 77.5% tog, ave 18.75 h/o.
Soldo 54.25% tog, ave 17 h/o
Soldo has developed big time since then.

So far this year in his first 8 games Nank averaged 73% tog, 21.5 h/o and Soldos 9 games 70%tog, 24.7 h/o

good move by the swans if true. they're slow as fu**.
4 or 5 weeks ago when the Hun had all the individual team reports and possible player movements, in the Swans edition they mentioned a link with Buttler that could see him crumbing to Buddy.

I can't see that duo being mobile enough to be honest at the very pointy end.

Remember this is in the context of us having Lynch and JR and they are even more effective when moving around and defences worrying about others.

The thing is this, Chol should be able to cover the ground further quicker being a marking target creating space. His kicking and composure is good enough from a goal threat perspective. Opening up the forward line on the high side gives space to JR and Lynch in more threatening positions but it also creates space for the small forwards to get creative, snap with more composure less heat and do it in more threatening positions if the opposition defense is asked to spread.

This means we can create more goal pressure on the opposition. Also West Coast atm is our primary threat per the bookies. We might not be able to stop NN. But if he comes back we might be able to hurt him through movement, fitness and getting him the other way and Chol could be well placed to do that. The other thing is what happens if JR or Lynch gets injured??? Chol gives us that added flexibility like Caddy.

If Chol emerges as a legitimate avenue, even if auxiliary, defences have to consider it helps the midfield transition as well because it puts the opposition set-up through the washing machine and its a matchup thats difficult to prevent even though they may realise its an option. Chol is another guy our smalls can crumb to which is what they are good at.

I am not talking about Chol just being a third tall forward. I am talking about Chol being a third marking option as a ruck/forward that can be up the ground due to his rucking role and mobility simply presenting in dangerous positions like JR and Lynch but in different space so our forward transition becomes less linear but at the same time less stagnant like Geelong ball movement going back and forth against zone defences like Hawthorn. When we have a trio like Lynch, JR and Chol both Lynch and Chol can play Richo roles when it suits to a degree especially Chol as a secondary ruck giving Nank a breather so he can be more effective when on contesting. Furthermore, as part of such a trio it would be easier where Nank rests forward if need be because Lynch can drift up the ground with Chol also up the ground and JR can roam forward 50 with any set-up disruption. If Lynch and Soldo are up the ground thats a less mobile combination and few you losing a lot in the ruck?? Especially against a dominant ruck in NN anyway??
Is that you andy maher?

Zero chance Pickett plays afl vs blues... at least 1-2 more good games in vfl before even consideration..

Same for Ross

Think nank will replace chol..

The Cookie Monster can replace butler and do a better job... he has lost it all... confidence mostly.. simply wont put his head over the ball, half hearted at best

Possibly markov or menadue to replace him? Both have been playing a more forward roll in vfl...

Broad had a shocker but won’t get dropped

Sadly true for Butler. Hasn’t been the same since they syndesmosis injury

Jack Graham,Sydney Stack,Brandon Ellis,Mabior Chol,Toby Nankervis,Jack Ross,Kamdyn McIntosh,Marlion Pickett
(Four to be omitted)
Great INs. This is about the 26 we will pick from over coming weeks. Just got to add Cotch. Cotch's injury is a concern too. Do not want to be picking a guy who doesn't last the first quarter.I think they might rest Ellis this week. Rest Stack another week. Chol out and keep Kmac at the lower level. See what a team with Caddy Ross, Pickett, Graham looks like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back