• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 16, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Fighting Furies
Never said he was !!! Its widely acknowledged that it was Caracella,s game plan that changed us from a rabble to a successful team. For that team to be successful we had to start playing blokes in their best positions. Something the club acknowledged.

We had zero success under Hardwick in his first 7 seasons we played a totally different way to the way we do now. A clean out of coaches a sudden new way of playing that is attributable to others and it really isnt hard to fathom that blokes like Caracella did not need to be head coach to make a significant impact or contribution.
But hey we just cant attribute praise to others at the expense of the bloke in charge :rolleyes:

We had a tonne of improvement under Hardwick, just look at our side in 2010 vs 2013. Huge improvement

Tiger71

?????? King of the Micro ??????
Sep 22, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
LOL so Hardwick was a doyen of coaches before Caracella and a pile of other assistants came to the club. Im pretty certain it was those assistants who SUGGESTED we play the players to their strengths something Hardwick had struggled with for 7 seasons.

So the head coach does not have the final say on positions? Straight answer please

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Just watched Grimes interviewed about hub life and surely he’s the most impressive orators on our list. Cotch is very good but mostly cliched media trained based. Jack and Titch would round out top 3-4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Higgins the standout, then those 4

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
I don't think he'll ever get the gig as a lockdown player given his size. He, like most of our players is just struggling with form. He may start to get some midfield minutes due to our injuries so that's something to keep an eye on.
CCJ will be a gun and I'd take a punt on him if he gets named and is cheap. Not really a Grundy type but a genuine Ruck/Forward who'll clunk big marks and kick bags down the track.
Yea I reckon bakes might get a run through midfield

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Maybe.

I still think Grimes.
Would be over the moon.
moon.gif

Nothing against Vlas.

Oct 3, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Never said he was !!! Its widely acknowledged that it was Caracella,s game plan that changed us from a rabble to a successful team. For that team to be successful we had to start playing blokes in their best positions. Something the club acknowledged.

We had zero success under Hardwick in his first 7 seasons we played a totally different way to the way we do now. A clean out of coaches a sudden new way of playing that is attributable to others and it really isnt hard to fathom that blokes like Caracella did not need to be head coach to make a significant impact or contribution.
But hey we just cant attribute praise to others at the expense of the bloke in charge :rolleyes:
What a load of s**t.

When Dimma started we were beyond trash. He cleared out 20-30 players in his first 2 years.
We lost our first 9 games under him by and average of 50 points.

He got us to 5th on the ladder in year 4 after staring from nothing.

Jul 16, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Fighting Furies
What a load of sh*t.

When Dimma started we were beyond trash. He cleared out 20-30 players in his first 2 years.

Its like some expected us to go from nothing to premiers instantly.

It was always going to be a long road. People also forget we were rebuilding during the GC-GWS concession pick years, it was a lot harder for us.

Hardwick did very well to get us to at least finals standard despite the average list we had.

Nov 2, 2014
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
#TeamTurboChooks
Fraser Turner has played some good footy recently across hb and praised by X (who hasn’t he wrapped 😄) for improved contested game. Allegedly put on some decent size over preseason.
He strikes me as your reliable type nothing flashy but gets the job done.
Ticks a few boxes- big engine, neat footskills, natural football brain. Maybe behind a few others but a bit of a smokey to debut over the next 2 weeks
So he went to the hub?

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Caracella did a lot for us, but to say he was the only reason for our success is disrespectful to the man who took us from absolute trash, to a team that could at least contend.

Good strategy and ball movement etc only ultimately works if all the other things are right. One man cannot possibly step in and make everything that was wrong with a club right on his own when he is not even in charge.

I think, as I am sure all of us here do, that Caracella is a very very good strategist and coach. But he was at clubs with privileged lists for 10 years before he came to Richmond and netted one flag. He came to Tigerwonderland who had according to Mopsy a sh1t recruiter build the team, a sh1t coach, a sh1t list and a Bigfooty board full of people with nfi and wins 2 in 3 seasons.

To have the sort of success we have enjoyed over recent seasons, you need more or less everybody functioning well.

Mopsy is just being Mopsy, if you arranged for the 1970 version of Brit Ekland to spend the night with him he would complain about her accent. 😁

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2007
FNQ
AFL Club
Richmond
Good strategy and ball movement etc only ultimately works if all the other things are right. One man cannot possibly step in and make everything that was wrong with a club right on his own when he is not even in charge.

I think, as I am sure all of us here do, that Caracella is a very very good strategist and coach. But he was at clubs with privileged lists for 10 years before he came to Richmond and netted one flag. He came to Tigerwonderland who had according to Mopsy a sh1t recruiter build the team, a sh1t coach, a sh1t list and a Bigfooty board full of people with nfi and wins 2 in 3 seasons.

To have the sort of success we have enjoyed over recent seasons, you need more or less everybody functioning well.

Mopsy is just being Mopsy, if you arranged for the 1970 version of Brit Ekland to spend the night with him he would complain about her accent. 😁

To me, Hardwick's greatest strengths were - and are - how well he united the playing/coaching groups and a willingness to continue to evolve his thinking.

Caracella's most crucial lesson was probably positioning, both with the footy and without. That translates into great ball movement and the ability to stifle the opposition moving the ball as they'd like. We looked a very different side in this regard in 2017, it was a joy to watch us finally nail positioning.

Simplistic summary, there was plenty more involved, but for me these aspects were the most fundamental contributions of each.

Roksman

Premiership Player
Feb 12, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
What a load of sh*t.

Its like some expected us to go from nothing to premiers instantly.

It was always going to be a long road. People also forget we were rebuilding during the GC-GWS concession pick years, it was a lot harder for us.

Hardwick did very well to get us to at least finals standard despite the average list we had.
Caracella did a lot for us, but to say he was the only reason for our success is disrespectful to the man who took us from absolute trash, to a team that could at least contend.
Agree with all of this.

Of Caracella had an impact but to suggest he was the catalyst is just sensationalism.

The conspiracy that Caracella introduced the pressure tackle game is nonsense. An absolute myth.

It was round 16 in 2016. Our season was shot and up against the dogs at Marvel where no one gave us a shot. Dimma introduced the pressure / tackle game and we almost beat the Dogs.

I remember that game so vividly because we didn't play like that again and I questioned why.... Dimma knew he found something new and doubled down in 2017.

Side note: It may have been Castagna's first game too.

Aug 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
LOL so Hardwick was a doyen of coaches before Caracella and a pile of other assistants came to the club. Im pretty certain it was those assistants who SUGGESTED we play the players to their strengths something Hardwick had struggled with for 7 seasons.
I thought it was Balme but I’m probably wrong

Ceehook

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
hmm a lot of good stuff said about the coaching above
the bottomed out rebuild , Hardwick coaching from the boundary because he was teaching and mentoring young players
but he had a team behind him in the coaches box , in hind sight , they must have been pulling in the right direction too

Choco Williams I reckon would have played an important role too , a lot of experience , had achieved a lot over his time
clubs where he was coaching did seem to be going up the ladder ie (Port , GWS and us )

I like the mention of Carrasella being with clubs with strong lists , its hard to go from 5 -10 th position and move into the top 4 and stay there
you have to beat other top 4 sides consistently , he would have been aware of that and had ideas on how to make it happen
his arrival at Punt rd did coincide with a new looking defense structure , was it already on the drawing board
was it someone else's brain child , or did the coaching group and senior players develop it in 2017 ???
but after our disaster of 2016 everything would have been on the table

the way the club has carried its self since 2016 , players in the 1's & 2's are happy , keen , there's precious little bad behaviour
club administration seems to hum along nicely
I'd say while somebody has had an idea for a game plan and the environment allowed others to add to it meaning more and more brought into it
hence the execution soon became real good , further increasing the player buy in
but its a constantly evolving thing a sides try to beat our system
so the current coaching group will be judged on how we perform in the next 10-12 weeks, they are facing some real challenges , which is post Blake

Jun 18, 2007
Top of the tree
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
#VICBIAS
Agree with all of this.

Of Caracella had an impact but to suggest he was the catalyst is just sensationalism.

The conspiracy that Caracella introduced the pressure tackle game is nonsense. An absolute myth.

It was round 16 in 2016. Our season was shot and up against the dogs at Marvel where no one gave us a shot. Dimma introduced the pressure / tackle game and we almost beat the Dogs.

I remember that game so vividly because we didn't play like that again and I questioned why.... Dimma knew he found something new and doubled down in 2017.

Side note: It may have been Castagna's first game too.
And if you went to our VFL games in the back end of that year you could see it in action with Castagna, Butler and others. We won the last six and just missed the finals, otherwise we would have won the flag. Convinced me to back our VFL side for the 2017 flag, at $25.

Ceehook

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
So the head coach does not have the final say on positions? Straight answer please
so the backline coach teaches backline structures and moves
the forward line coach teaches backline structures and moves
the midfield coach teaches backline structures and moves
the ruck coach teaches backline structures and moves centre bounces and stoppages

what does the head coach do ?

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
What a load of sh*t.

eastwood.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back