Autopsy Roast & Toast vs North Melbourne Rd 11, 2019, & Changes for Geelong rd 12

Best players vs North Melbourne

• Ryan Garthwaite

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • David Astbury

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Dylan Grimes

Votes: 12 6.9%
  • Nathan Broad

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Shane Edwards

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • Bachar Houli

Votes: 139 80.3%
  • Brandon Ellis

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • Dion Prestia

Votes: 56 32.4%
  • Kamdyn McIntosh

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Jack Higgins

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • Jason Castagna

Votes: 20 11.6%
  • Dan Butler

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • Dustin Martin

Votes: 135 78.0%
  • Tom Lynch

• Noah Balta

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Ivan Soldo

• Trent Cotchin

Votes: 52 30.1%
  • Nick Vlastuin

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Sydney Stack

Votes: 117 67.6%
  • Liam Baker

Votes: 63 36.4%
  • Shai Bolton

Votes: 8 4.6%
  • Josh Caddy

Votes: 5 2.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Ah well bad day at the office..! we move on...
however, its so annoying to see that we made bulldogs & now NM look like flag contenders....
Not turning up to play is just a bad bad look.

Bolton, Higgins, Butler and Garth will likely be under the most duress to survive this week.

Butlers 2 goals may save him for another week, however consensus was he did FA else. Dimma however may give him another game to have another shot at it as his form was good in the 2's.

Garths selection may simply depend on whether or not Farmer Tom gets a holiday, if Hawkins gets a week then Garth might be a chance of being omitted.

I have a feeling that Jack Graham may be back this week, and hopefully Lambert is available also.
Hawkins is Garths Bunny.

however, its so annoying to see that we made bulldogs & now NM look like flag contenders....

We were not as bad as Collingwood. They over used the ball like they have all year and got beat.

See Fyfes kick at the end that dropped quickly in front(chaos ball) so Walters got it and kicked the goal? Why do we not do that anymore???

Cunners and Ziebell have been mentioned lots in this thread, but it is Anderson who is doing the real damage at the moment. He's hard as nails, a very good kick and bobs up for goals.

Time and time again Cunners would get the ball at a stoppage and "fade" back a few steps in traffic and set up play using his three key attributes - elite awareness in tight spaces, elite strength to gain a crucial second even when tackled and elite handball delivery.

Most of the time the hands go to Anderson who can set up he next link in the chain, either a kick to a leading forward, handpass to an outside runner in Higgins or Polec or Dumont, or if the pressure is tight and he hasn't had real opportunity, he's strong enough to wear a tackle and force another bounce - rinse and repeat.

On Cunner, the Bulldogs finally decided to play Bont one on one with him and duly kicked four five in a row, nearly set up by Bont exploiting Cunners key weakness - his lack of pace, especially burst pace.

All in all, the received wisdom on North's list is just mind bogglingly wrong - there's real elite talent there, especially in the midfield.

I'm amazed you blokes didn't play Dusty on him in exactly the same role - centre square mid who bursts away from Cunners and uses his elite delivery into the forward line.

I suppose your issue was that Dusty seemed to be your only viable avenue to goal on the night - you couldn't have Duty winning the clearance to deliver lace out to Dusty leading from the goal square
notice that out of all teams it is norf fans who come to our board and post the most. so not only is their team obessed with us it is also their fans. like that clingy ex gf who keeps trying to get your attention but really they are nothing more than an annoying hindrance in your life as you go for bigger things

North played liked it was a final , maybe not a GF , but a final or blockbuster game , real intent , bodies crashing into packs etc

We played like it was a regulation game
We had the block buster last week , Dreamtime at the G
We've lifted for stirring wins away against Pork & Freo
We braced ourselves for Melb. as they drew a line in the sand for our game and came out hard

We play the North of 2-3 weeks ago , we win

We also got caught by the Bulldogs

Felt the North tall forwards stretched us , this might have been the game where we really missed Rance
Grimmes was looking great in patches , pity we didn't have two of him

North had control of Lynch with Tarrant dropping in front and Thompson camped behind him , we had to lower our eyes a bit more

Soldo matched Goldstein for hit outs but felt Goldsteins were quality taps to advantage and too many of Ivan's were straight to a North player
and Ivan was well beaten on the night, he worked hard and did some nice things and we some times forget how good Goldstein can be

Fingers crossed the experience improves Ivan for the next game , it has to be hard to come in and adjust from the VFL pace

Yeah I thought Soldo was not that effective on the weekend

notice that out of all teams it is norf fans who come to our board and post the most. so not only is their team obessed with us it is also their fans. like that clingy ex gf who keeps trying to get your attention but really they are nothing more than an annoying hindrance in your life as you go for bigger things

I was gunna say, I recall Anderson marking and kicking a goal against us but other than that I could not give a s**t about him!!!

Too few contributors, particularly inside. Our leading contested possession were Houli, Edwards and Stack, with 11 a piece. When Houli is leading the contested possessions, we're lacking output from the inside mids.

The Cats are a strong contested footy side. We'll need more grunt and poke in the team to match them.

I'd be looking to get Lambert and Graham into the side. Not sure who I'd drop. Maybe Higgins and Bolton and use Caddy and Dusty forward more.

Too few contributors, particularly inside. Our leading contested possession were Houli, Edwards and Stack, with 11 a piece. When Houli is leading the contested possessions, we're lacking output from the inside mids.

The Cats are a strong contested footy side. We'll need more grunt and poke in the team to match them.

I'd be looking to get Lambert and Graham into the side. Not sure who I'd drop. Maybe Higgins and Bolton and use Caddy and Dusty forward more.

All good points. I wonder how much game value we would get out of Stacky running with Tim Kelly. I know Stacky would benefit enormously in the short term, but could he quell someone like Kelly who seems to have large influence on the Cats momentum?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Higgins cannot play next week. He has been poor this year and needs a spell to get back some form and confidence or we will burn the kid out. Bolton probably misses as well.

I'm thinking Higlet and Bolton for Graham and Naish, Graham in allows Vlas to go back.

Vlas Garth Grimes
Houli Asters Stack

Macca Pres Ellis
Soldo Graham Cotch

Bakes Balta Cads
Dus Lynch George

Shedda Broad Buts Naishy

Honestly with George and Butler playing small pressure forwards with Cads and Duz rolling through, Pres Cotch Graham rotating with Duz, Cads, Shed we should cover ok.

It is. And the fact we've done it 3 times now in the first 11 rounds is a big concern.

now that i think about it i am going to disregard this loss, we have always had our yearly meltdown against financially poor club, even in 2017 with wb. geel the real test, though doesnt help that we play geel then ade in ade which have been bogey fixtures for us in the past

If Hawk misses, I reckon we rest Garthy (Flossy goes back), Soldo out for CCJ (We lose hitouts but gain a presence around the ground), Butler back to VFL and Higgins too.

Lambert back if fit. Graham for added grunt and Menadue/Naish for some more outside run.

Broad Grimes Astbury
Stacky Flossy Shed
Kmac Martin BEliis
Baker Castagna Bolton
Cotchin Lynch Caddy

CCJ Lambert Prestia

Int: Balta Houli Graham Menadue/Naish
If Hawk misses Fort will probably come in. Who is a better match up for Garth in terms of experience. Regardless, I'd leave Garth in for a couple more. Get him focused on marking the ball when possible. Rest Broad/Astbury. But Vlas has to go back. He is way better as a defender. Soldo held Goldy to reasonable numbers. But he needs to sit in the session with Garth and focus on marking. I see no point in playing Menadue over Naish. I don't think we'll see Menadue again. I reckon Towner should be given another crack. If not, Graham. Bolton, Higgs in the firing line. Butler gets 2 more. IMO Butts career is on the line

Your underselling Nank's importance by a country mile Fleabag.Nank has a understudy in CCJ.
I get how good nank is, but particularly in the centre square, he rarely gets hits to advantage, which means we don't get clean clearances, and our mids aren't that good there anyway. Our biggest issue is contested ball, and we are only just hanging on with our other systems to cover this poor area of our game. Have a look at how our centre clearances was v the hawks. Havent seen that in a long time for us. I get that Nank is good around the ground, but again he has hardly taken any contested marks this year. I just think there is an area we need to get better at.

Back