• Jack Ross

Votes: 227 79.4%
  • Jack Higgins

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sydney Stack

Votes: 48 16.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I assumed they were referring to the non reversal of the Houston goal in the last after Rockliff belted grimes in the back! If port had won by less than a goal....

Oh right. Haven’t seen anything on the AFL website about the double goal either

Not sure we need all of our mids to be A graders. I’d like to see him be more damaging with the ball no doubt but he does pick up a lot of defensive slack.
True, but Ross coming in his first week has leap frogged Graham already. You do need A to B grade mids. Graham's hurt factor is C grade, but he does compete well. I don't know there are too many players like that playing in the league, so I think he needs to find more of the ball. He is pretty slow for an inside mid who need sharp movement, and with Cotchin and Martin back he is going to struggle.

True, but Ross coming in his first week has leap frogged Graham already. You do need A to B grade mids. Graham's hurt factor is C grade, but he does compete well. I don't know there are too many players like that playing in the league, so I think he needs to find more of the ball. He is pretty slow for an inside mid who need sharp movement, and with Cotchin and Martin back he is going to struggle.

In Graham’s fifth game he had 16 possessions, kicked 3 goals and held the best opposition player down in a relatively important game.

In his first game, Dean Polo had 28 possessions and kicked 3 goals.

As good as Ross’ debut was, one game doesn’t make the player.

Here’s the thing I think a lot of detractors don’t get about Graham, he may not get a lot of the ball, nor does he seem to be damaging when he does it, but his pressure and defensive abilities are elite. You say his hurt factor is C grade. This is incorrect. His ability to create room in the stoppage for Cotchin and Martin is as high on the hurt factor as you can get. Rewatch the last 5 minutes of the JLT game v Hawks. Cotchin destroys the Hawks almost single handedly... but its Graham who is right there beside him, bumping bodies or putting weight on opposition players to create space for Cotch. This is just one example. You get too many guys who hunt the ball, all you get is more congestion, lack of quality clearances and destroyed defensively.

For every one A grader, you need a guy who plays his role and sacrifices for the team to enable that A grader to be A grade.

Graham is that kind of player for us. Look when we dropped him against Port last year. Dimma admitted it was an error. Or how our poor form leading into finals coicided quite cleanly with Graham’s shoulder injury.

Graham means more to this side than just 18 possession and a ‘C grade’ hurt factor.

Exactly, why waste Cotch and Martin putting them back there when they can have more impact in other positions especially Martin?

Kicking 3 goals in a GF is not hurt factor??

Why cannot Graham play with Ross in the guts while Dusty is up forward or on a wing if it makes us a more imposing competitive side that kicks a higher score and causes the opposing to kick a lower score than if the magnets are put elsewhere on the board??

Why would we automatically want to put Martin in the guts first up and disrupt the ball movement we had on the weekend if he comes in and kicks a lazy 4 from half forward or the wing?

Last edited:
In Graham’s fifth game he had 16 possessions, kicked 3 goals and held the best opposition player down in a relatively important game.

Here’s the thing I think a lot of detractors don’t get about Graham, he may not get a lot of the ball, nor does he seem to be damaging when he does it, but his pressure and defensive abilities are elite. You say his hurt factor is C grade. This is incorrect. His ability to create room in the stoppage for Cotchin and Martin is as high on the hurt factor as you can get. Rewatch the last 5 minutes of the JLT game v Hawks. Cotchin destroys the Hawks almost single handedly... but its Graham who is right there beside him, bumping bodies or putting weight on opposition players to create space for Cotch. This is just one example. You get too many guys who hunt the ball, all you get is more congestion, lack of quality clearances and destroyed defensively.

For every one A grader, you need a guy who plays his role and sacrifices for the team to enable that A grader to be A grade.

Graham is that kind of player for us. Look when we dropped him against Port last year. Dimma admitted it was an error. Or how our poor form leading into finals coicided quite cleanly with Graham’s shoulder injury.

Graham means more to this side than just 18 possession and a ‘C grade’ hurt factor.
Brilliant, well said

out: menadue in: martin.

menadue was ok. created a few little passages which martin can do easily enough.

george was good defensively and offensively with his assist work.
graham stays i think because of his pressure, played his best game since round 1. if hes applying the pressure in the guts then the ball wont be going into buddy as quick, giving our defenders a chance.
balta stays because he gives us options back forward and ruck. Allowing nank to drift forward or back to mark is very valuable in my eyes, just look at last week.

Speaking of Sydney, Sydney's number one threat by a mile is Issac Heeney. So this week one of Graham or Ross or someone else can go to him and just lock him down defensively and fairly. Do that and it will have more hurt factor than most of anything else occuring in the game!!

But I would like to see last weeks midfield glue stick together and see what happens especially from the get go. So if Heeney goes in the guts Ross or Graham can take him and when Heeney is up forward one of our backs can sit on him like glue as a priority!! The coaches are free to move the magnets around later as situations arise

Make up your mind about Baker!!! Is he in or out?!?!?

i always have been (a little) anti baker cause i am suspicious of very short people.

however Baker seems to be class. He has been good in the twos and is fast and skillful and seems have pretty good footy iq. He is growing on me big time and is yet another reason B Ellis should be dropped.

I would be ok with Baker staying in the best22

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“Because he's the hero Richmond deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So he'll live in Rance's shadow. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight.”
View attachment 655836

:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

You can tell that Ross will be a player. He is a Selwood clone, but bigger, faster and a bigger kick. He also gets his hands on the ball in the heat of the centre, not running lose on a wing like Dean Polo, who by the way had none of the attributes I have mentioned. That is 4 things he has over Graham who has little of these things. He likes to tackle, as does Graham. Graham is in the team for the tough stuff. But so is Cotchin, Prestia and now Ross. Put Martin, Caddy, Lambert and even Higgins rotating the centre mix, and that leaves Graham playing a fair bit of football on the flanks, which he has done so far this season. All of those players are better players than Graham, and all of them are tough and big bodied.
Graham is an average footballer. He is hard and a great pressure player, but half the time he is chasing blokes that are way quicker than him. He needs to find the footy more is all I am saying. If it means dropping Bolton after the sort of game he played last week, then he would be one in the firing line.

You can tell that Ross will be a player. He is a Selwood clone, but bigger, faster and a bigger kick. He also gets his hands on the ball in the heat of the centre, not running lose on a wing like Dean Polo, who by the way had none of the attributes I have mentioned. That is 4 things he has over Graham who has little of these things. He likes to tackle, as does Graham. Graham is in the team for the tough stuff. But so is Cotchin, Prestia and now Ross. Put Martin, Caddy, Lambert and even Higgins rotating the centre mix, and that leaves Graham playing a fair bit of football on the flanks, which he has done so far this season. All of those players are better players than Graham, and all of them are tough and big bodied.
Graham is an average footballer. He is hard and a great pressure player, but half the time he is chasing blokes that are way quicker than him. He needs to find the footy more is all I am saying. If it means dropping Bolton after the sort of game he played last week, then he would be one in the firing line.

wing is not grahams go...

Exactly, why waste Cotch and Martin putting them back there when they can have more impact in other positions especially Martin?

Kicking 3 goals in a GF is not hurt factor??

Why cannot Graham play with Ross in the guts while Dusty is up forward or on a wing if it makes us a more imposing competitive side that kicks a higher score and causes the opposing to kick a lower score than if the magnets are put elsewhere on the board??

Why would we automatically want to put Martin in the guts first up and disrupt the ball movement we had on the weekend if he comes in and kicks a lazy 4 from half forward or the wing?
You suggest that Cotchin and Martin come out of the middle for Graham. Martin was the leagues best centre clearance player last year, and well Cotchin is 10 time the player that Graham is. Also Martin is no half forward, is only good resting at FF where Lynch now sits. Of course Graham can rotate through there and he goes okay, but when he is rotating out of the centre he plays wing or half forward, where he isn't much chop. In a full squad he will struggle.
And he has not had a game remotely close to his great grand final game.

i always have been (a little) anti baker cause i am suspicious of very short people.

however Baker seems to be class. He has been good in the twos and is fast and skillful and seems have pretty good footy iq. He is growing on me big time and is yet another reason B Ellis should be dropped.

I would be ok with Baker staying in the best22

some of his skills were sublime on the weekend

his kick to lynch for the sealer was a bullet

Back