Autopsy Roast & Toast vs St Kilda and Changes for R4 vs Western Bulldogs

Best 5 vs St Kilda?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s the problem with Cotch he isn’t really suited to play any other positions

Could try him off half back like some of the other older Mids in the comp like Pendles and Selwood but those guys are also better kicks than Cotch imo and hard to move out Short or Rioli who are playing very well atm in the role
Yeah I know but what do we do with him? That’s why I thought maybe up forward he might be ok.
If he has a couple more average ones do you drop him?

Yeah I know but what do we do with him? That’s why I thought maybe up forward he might be ok.
If he has a couple more average ones do you drop him?
I am convinced Cotchin could be good forward. He and Edwards are still very good and capable footballers, just can't quite run through the middle for full games like they used to.

Just one particular play, watch from 42 seconds into this video, I remember this goal watching live and always thought he would be handy forward.

Cotchin had 35 and kicked 3.1 that day (we scored 150 :O )

There was also a day that I think he was being tagged so they stationed him forward, this was of course 9-10 years ago, and he was everywhere in the forward line but couldn't kick straight, he kicked like 0.5 for the day or something.

Worth a go anyway, then Bolton can play more midfield.

I am convinced Cotchin could be good forward. He and Edwards are still very good and capable footballers, just can't quite run through the middle for full games like they used to.

Just one particular play, watch from 42 seconds into this video, I remember this goal watching live and always thought he would be handy forward.

There was also a day that I think he was being tagged so they stationed him forward, this was of course 9-10 years ago, and he was everywhere in the forward line but couldn't kick straight, he kicked like 0.5 for the day or something.

Agree with Cotchin going forward more. He is a hard man to beat one on one and adds great heat once the ball hits the deck.

I'm not sure we need Miller to come in for Grimes this week. I don't really see a match up for him and he was average in the VFL. Tarrant will take Naughton and Broad or Gibcus can take Ugle-Hagan. Cordy is out with concussion. Who would he take? If Naughton get's off the leash again then Miller won't be able to stop him and Balta would have to swing back.

I think we're much better off bringing in an extra midfielder this week - Sonsie or RCD as well as Prestia.

was considered a battler early doors by Carlton,didnt make theyre cut 2 seasons in a row,then Geelong let him go to Sydney on account was a good honest battler & then...well we know what happened then:D
He was just as good a player at Geelong too. Letting him go to Sydney is about as dumb as it gets.

Cotchin has kiced 11 goals in his previous 73 games (2018-2022) at an average of 0.15 goals a game and he can barely kick over a jam tin these days, he can basically play mid now and thats it hiding him anywhere would be to the detriment of other players opportunities. A bit of perspective is in 2021 Sydney Stack equaled Cotchins output of 2 goals (17 games) in a 5 minute spell against the Hawks last year. I'd personally like to see Cotchin tried as a tagger to try nullify the likes of ya Tom Mitchells, Liberatores etc. who aren't massive and too fast for him. Some scrawny blokes like Bolton can effortlessly kick 55m without losing accuracy whereas some blokes like Cotchin are stretched 35m+ I'd be shattered if he was played as a forward as we've got Baker, Bolton, MRJ, Stack, Clarke, Cumberland, Ralphsmith, Caddy, Castagna and Aarts further up the pecking order as forwards than Cotchin. I'd like to see Cotchin managed and left out of most interstate games when we get Lambo, Prestia, Dusty etc back! How about it? Anyone else think Cotchin could potentially cut it as an occasional tagger when the matchup fits and is needed?

Last edited:

The tackle at 0:53 would get him 8 weeks for rough conduct these days. Dangerflog on the other hand would get a fortnights worth of heroic photo's and editorials in the Geelong advertiser for his bravery and attack on the football.

Cotchin has kiced 11 goals in his previous 73 games (2018-2022) at an average of 0.15 goals a game and he can barely kick over a jam tin these days, he can basically play mid now and thats it hiding him anywhere would be to the detriment of other players opportunities. A bit of perspective is in 2021 Sydney Stack equaled Cotchins output of 2 goals (17 games) in a 5 minute spell against the Hawks last year. I'd personally like to see Cotchin tried as a tagger to try nullify the likes of ya Tom Mitchells, Liberatores etc. who aren't massive and too fast for him. Some scrawny blokes like Bolton can effortlessly kick 55m without losing accuracy whereas some blokes like Cotchin are stretched 35m+ I'd be shattered if he was played as a forward as we've got Baker, Bolton, MRJ, Stack, Clarke, Cumberland, Ralphsmith, Caddy, Castagna and Aarts further up the pecking order as forwards than Cotchin. I'd like to see Cotchin managed and left out of most interstate games when we get Lambo, Prestia, Dusty etc back! How about it? Anyone else think Cotchin could potentially cut it as an occasional tagger when the matchup fits and is needed?
Kinda feels like we are just trying to make a role for him so dimma doesn’t have to man up and give him the tap on the shoulder.
Or we manage him but don’t think that will do anything as he supposedly had his best preseason so he should be flying not floundering in round 4.

Kinda feels like we are just trying to make a role for him so dimma doesn’t have to man up and give him the tap on the shoulder.
Or we manage him but don’t think that will do anything as he supposedly had his best preseason so he should be flying not floundering in round 4.

He's had no help in there at all so of course hes going to get tired. Any midfield that lacks depth always tires later in the match. Lets see how it goes with Prestia back if by some miracle he makes it through 4 quarters.

Probably the most positive thing after the weekend’s aftermath is that we’re only one game and percentage out of the eight. :cool:
And we have led every game around 3/4 time or just before by 20+ points. So somethings working.

I think we are too small and the longer the game goes the slower it gets and the more it suits the big bodied players. Need some more grunt in there especially late in quarters and games.

And we have led every game around 3/4 time or just before by 20+ points. So somethings working.

I think we are too small and the longer the game goes the slower it gets and the more it suits the big bodied players. Need some more grunt in there especially late in quarters and games.

That's why I want us to load up on inside mids - even go over heavy there. Simply more bodies to rotate through and hopefully not get smashed inside.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree it would be ideal to have some bigger bodies in the midfield but I think the major problem is we are simply lacking the running power we had at our peak (both endurance and repeat sprints). It might be our biggest problem at the moment and why we are getting overwhelmed as games progress. Our running power relative to other teams has taken a hit in a number of ways: some ageing players (loss of explosive and break away speed), playing more youth (still developing tanks), injuries (loss of some of our best runners for extended periods like lambert, Prestia, McIntosh at stages), current experiment playing more talls, and other teams recruiting better athletes and runners so have bridged the gap. The best teams run the opposition into the ground like we used to and eventually and inevitably take ascendency over the course of a match. Just look at Melbourne now. An on field playing profile skewed towards the 24-27 year old bracket will always have an athletic advantage. In 2017 we gave away 2kg per player to oppo but it didn’t matter because we were the best running team. A footy field is a bloody big space.

Last edited:
Reminds me of the week prior to the GWS game with all this talk about how we're going to get 'hammered in the midfield' this week against the Dogs.

It was a 'certainty' that was going to happen to us against GWS too.

Like GWS, WB will probably go in with just English as the one genuine ruck (if you consider him 'genuine'), against hopefully Nank and Soldo, which is potentially a significant advantage for us.

This time last year we beat them comfortably and matched them 31-36 in clearances.

They played two rucks (Martin in and fully fit) against us playing Pickett as a 2nd ruck. We had no Prestia and played RCD in the centre square, they had no Dunkley, but lose Lipinski who was their 2nd highest clearance winner on the night.

On paper, looking at recent head-to-head history (rather than perceptions built around performances by each side against the rest of the comp) we're stronger going in this year and back to the 'G, should match up well against them.

I'd rather leave Dion out for another week...I cant be convinced that anyone, especially with his on-goings issues, can recover that quick. So, I'd bring in Jack... and throw Balta back to help Broad and Tarrant (who I dont rate). I'd bring in Mansell ahead of RCD- I was impressed with his attack on the ball last week and I cant really see RCD offering us anything after last week's effort and add him to the defensive smalls line-up and ditch Aarts.
I just cant see opposition coaches looking at out side and wondering to themselves...'Who can we play that's going to stop Aarts?'

I'd rather leave Dion out for another week...I cant be convinced that anyone, especially with his on-goings issues, can recover that quick. So, I'd bring in Jack... and throw Balta back to help Broad and Tarrant (who I dont rate). I'd bring in Mansell ahead of RCD- I was impressed with his attack on the ball last week and I cant really see RCD offering us anything after last week's effort and add him to the defensive smalls line-up and ditch Aarts.
I just cant see opposition coaches looking at out side and wondering to themselves...'Who can we play that's going to stop Aarts?'
Why don’t you rate Tarrant?
He’s only had like 2 goals kicked on him for the entire year

It'll be over 3 weeks since Prestia did his hammy that was apparently a minor strain and in a different spot to his frequent hammies. Dimma said he was close last week but they were going to be cautious and give him another week.

Get him in. We need him rolling.

Yep. Bevo has dedicated 12 hours this week already to the Aarts conundrum.

The Bont trained with strapping on his arm.
If he does play underdone, Nank can crash tackle hard.
The Bont could miss a couple of weeks through injury, they could lose a couple of games.

Geelong did to Coll'wood what happened to us in rounds 1, 3.
A final quarter onslaught.
We have to add an extra zone defender.
Greater tackling pressure and increased ball-ups, to regroup.
More of a classic Swans style at their peak.
We are being overrun, we have to drop in an extra defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back