• 47: Ivan Soldo

Votes: 89 31.9%
  • 48: Liam Baker

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with some of your points there, but does it have to be like for like? I looked at the first half and in the dry conditions Caddy struggled anywhere outside our forward 50 bc off his lack of pace. That goal off him in the first where he started on the wing was embarrassing as he could hardly get out of the blocks whilst his opponent just waltzed away. He was much better in the wet, but do we play him on a dry day against his pace? I can see him comfortable against the aged and plodding Geelong team playing in the dry and probably against all the 5-8 teams except for the highly skilled and quick ball moving Dogs. Against the Eagles and Lions in the dry I would be concerned of him being exposed.
You more importantly mentioned who comes in for players if changes were to be made.
Rioli plays before Butler everyday and always.
Nakkers for Chol if fit.
Cotchin maybe for Caddy so at least Ross or Cotchin can even rotate on a wing. Otherwise KMac is the next best thing. I wouldn’t be bringing in anymore kids at this time of the year as
it could backfire. So the reality is there aren’t too many changes we can make. Pickett is miles off Short, much to the ignorance of some on here and Menadue has failed us too often at the top level. If Nakkers isn’t fit do we risk replacing Chol with CCJ ? I wouldn’t bc at least this combination is working effectively and we’re winning with it.
I agree kmac if fit has to come in, you need pace to add pressure , closing that gap pushing opponent toward boundary can be the difference between a bung entry forward or a surgical one from the Oppo

Last edited:
Some thoughts on the game:

Soldo put forth a strong case for why he should be selected instead of Chol. Beat Hickey in trying conditions and showed he can impact the scoreboard. He partners really well with Chol, but I wonder if he'll have the same synergies with Nankervis.

Rioli is having a very poor year. Didn't deserve to be promoted back to the seniors for Dreamtime and somehow has kept his spot to date. 2 goals from the last 5 games is a poor return. He looks slow, indecisive and lacks polish with ball in hand.

Broad will always battle being clean with the football but is an elite athlete, a solid lock-down defender and can play small or tall. Important player in our best 22.

Changes:
Out: Chol Ross Rioli
In: Nankervis Cotchin Menadue

Soldo put forth a strong case for why he should be selected instead of Chol. Beat Hickey in trying conditions and showed he can impact the scoreboard. He partners really well with Chol, but I wonder if he'll have the same synergies with Nankervis.

Rioli is having a very poor year. Didn't deserve to be promoted back to the seniors for Dreamtime and somehow has kept his spot to date. 2 goals from the last 5 games is a poor return. He looks slow, indecisive and lacks polish with ball in hand.

Broad will always battle being clean with the football but is an elite athlete, a solid lock-down defender and can play small or tall. Important player in our best 22.

Changes:

Please no Menadue

Interesting question Sol who are our bottom six and do or can we upgrade them?Cotchin and Nakkers replace two, but who?
Up forward we need a lot more out of Rioli and George, they need to start hitting the scoreboard. Graham and Ross? Ross not up to it at this stage but I rate him.
Then baker and caddy I have question marks over. Stack should be playing for baker but we all no what happened there.
So I’d say Cotchin does replace Ross and nank probably for chol.
Old Brando is safe atm

Changes:
Really liked your post until I read the part about Menadue.... I see you snuck that in there ;) An on field spectator is NOT what we need next week

The first quarter result had less to do with it being dry and WC being better in the dry than us than it did them just not letting us play our high pressure style. They ran harder and moved the ball suburbly in transition across half back to switch it. We simply weren't switched on enough. That changed after quarter time.

Our style stacks up in wet or dry conditions, that's the beauty of it, because it stacks up better in wet than most other sides styles of play.

Not worried about us meeting them again in the dry if we bring the heat. The second quarter was dry and we brought the heat and they crumbled. If not for horrible finishing (Lasagna trying a snap from 20m out slight angle. :drunk: ) and some disgusting umpiring we should have been 2-3 goals up at half time.

All this talk on the WC board and the main board of "WC would have won by 10 goals if it didn't rain" simply doesn't stand up to any logical scrutiny because the second quarter was dry.

WC did very well in the last quarter to match our pressure so therefore kept themselves in the game and almost pipped us.

The little extra fumbles that cost us a couple of times from the likes of Edwards and Rioli I'm convinced would have been gobbled up in the dry too so not worried at all. Was a great game from two very good sides.

Early forecast for Sunday next week is rain again but subject to change this far ahead.
We want a rematch in the dry and probably at Optus. If you beat us there in dry conditions then you are the worthy premiers of 2019.

We want a rematch in the dry and probably at Optus. If you beat us there in dry conditions then you are the worthy premiers of 2019.
Would have beat you in the dry yesterday. Demolished before tha rain came at end of 2nd qtr and then pressue was too much for your blokes to handle in second half you kicked 5 goals after qtr time. 3 from free kicks

Pies poster hoplng Grimes has done his knee......
Lol let’s be honest we’ve been less than sympathetic, it’s just hypocritical on our part asking them to respect Grimes and any injuries we may or may not have.

We can’t use the #pieshaveinjuries hashtag without expecting the same back.

Another big plus from yesterday was our crowd.. we have our atmosphere back.

Hasn’t been like that since 2017... even winning a final in front of 90k last year was lacklustre. The tiger army is hungry again!

Agree with this. If we cop a Thursday night final this year I will burn AFL house to the ground!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was a touching moment when Grimes ran out on the ground in the 4th quarter after the injury scare. The ball was at the other end and Astbury and he gave each other a palm up high five, they are such a tight-knit group and we shouldn't underestimate this "band of brothers" spirit. It was instrumental in getting us over the line yesterday.

Chol played like a man who knows his limitations. He's still learning how to position himself but what I liked is when caught out of position he knew to bring the ball to ground or tap it forward. He's also got a nice baulk in his repertoire.

Only bring in nank when he's 100%

Soldo was great yesterday too.

Clubs are going to come sniffing for Chol, Soldo and Balta in trade week.

Please no Menadue
He would contribute more than Rioli right now , no question
There was a touching moment when Grimes ran out on the ground in the 4th quarter after the injury scare. The ball was at the other end and Astbury and he gave each other a palm up high five, they are such a tight-knit group and we shouldn't underestimate this "band of brothers" spirit. It was instrumental in getting us over the line yesterday.
that’s awesome thx for letting us know

I’m not even joking, we should play Cotch off half back this week. I would also keep Ross in for another run as there is no twos game this week and he clearly needs to get the run in his legs. This would allow him continuity if he then goes and plays first final in VFL the week after when the AFL has the bye. Get him back in for our first final with match fitness and games under his belt.
I can see him having an impact in our senior side in the finals if fit and he also frees up Cotch.
I’d be fairly confident in saying he would never do that kick again in his career and I would argue fatigue was a factor in his decision making on Sunday.
For me either Baker or Short to come out to allow Cotch to play HB.
I can’t see Sir Jesus Grimes playing either and would not be surprised to see Balta come in to take Hipwood.
And if any of you campaigners mention injuries to Grimes again in the preview thread like last week I’ll get Joffa to come drop a dump down your throat.

What would you like the ambient temperature to be? any other requests?

I agree with some of your points there, but does it have to be like for like? I looked at the first half and in the dry conditions Caddy struggled anywhere outside our forward 50 bc off his lack of pace. That goal off him in the first where he started on the wing was embarrassing as he could hardly get out of the blocks whilst his opponent just waltzed away. He was much better in the wet, but do we play him on a dry day against his pace? I can see him comfortable against the aged and plodding Geelong team playing in the dry and probably against all the 5-8 teams except for the highly skilled and quick ball moving Dogs. Against the Eagles and Lions in the dry I would be concerned of him being exposed.
You more importantly mentioned who comes in for players if changes were to be made.
Rioli plays before Butler everyday and always.
Nakkers for Chol if fit.
Cotchin maybe for Caddy so at least Ross or Cotchin can even rotate on a wing. Otherwise KMac is the next best thing. I wouldn’t be bringing in anymore kids at this time of the year as
it could backfire. So the reality is there aren’t too many changes we can make. Pickett is miles off Short, much to the ignorance of some on here and Menadue has failed us too often at the top level. If Nakkers isn’t fit do we risk replacing Chol with CCJ ? I wouldn’t bc at least this combination is working effectively and we’re winning with it.

Like for like as far as position is concerned and within general size and playing style/positive attributes, not like for like as far as negatives are concerned. Caddy is a plodder, not saying we must replace with another plodder lol.
Yep totally agree, at the pointy end you go with the devil you know, especially when you are winning games and are flag favourites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back