Votes: 89 31.9%
  • 48: Liam Baker

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mmmn...clearly not practicing it enough then.. It was a woeful effort
Was a woeful effort and so was Chol's. Seemed to worrying about everything other than the shot at goal. It's not like you need to worry about what's going around you - you're not passing it when you're 20 metres out. Go back; think about it and kick the goal!

Hipwood would be too nimble for Astbury wouldn't he??
I don't know about that. Dave's a pretty smart player. He'll certainly take Hipwood when he's the deepest forward. It could depend on where Grimes is. Who's Brisbane's other key forward?

For mine, 2017 is like one of those Cox Plates where you have a good winner but the placegetters and the also-rans hardly win a race between them in subsequent campaigning (and by campaigning, I mean campaigning)
benny hill wtf.gif

Think Astbury deserves a bit more love for his game on the weekend. Kept Kennedy to 1 goal and only got beaten the 1 time from memory. Has turned into a very reliable defender who knows his limitations.
Only cos Kennedy is out of sorts with injury?!? form?!?! Fit Kennedy may just have torn us apart...

I know Bolton had a good game but there are still a couple of things that don't look good at times. Choosing to take a shot 35 meters out on a reasonable angle when Lynch was alone next to the goal post and calling for the ball was dopey. Even more so when he missed. Then his choice of a chip pass to a covered Martin in the final quarter when he had an unmarked player further in the pocket wasn't brilliant. Just small things but if he can change that decision making he may actually become elite rather than good.

I know Bolton had a good game but there are still a couple of things that don't look good at times. Choosing to take a shot 35 meters out on a reasonable angle when Lynch was alone next to the goal post and calling for the ball was dopey. Even more so when he missed. Then his choice of a chip pass to a covered Martin in the final quarter when he had an unmarked player further in the pocket wasn't brilliant. Just small things but if he can change that decision making he may actually become elite rather than good.
That was our lord and saviour Bellis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The other thing we should have a look at is there defence and how to beat it.

There main weapon seems to be Harris Andrews who simply has superior height/reach combo that deflects the ball away.

The counter measures to such a measure would include the following:

1. Mids kick it over his head for a goal so Harris is not part of the action.

2. Separate main targets like JR and Lynch so he cannot be in two places at once. Bringing Lynch up the ground at half forward is also an option to drag Andrews away from the most threatening defensive zones in front of goals.

3. Kick the ball lower and faster including chaos balls in. If we utilise our small forwards that hinders Andrews effectiveness.

4. use multiple targets that are good kicks for goal. If we are unpredictable Andrews finds it harder to read the play and interfere especially if our targets are better kicks for goal. Should we bring Townsend in for this game??

Out of form from injury i reckon...hampered...if fit would tear Arseberry a new one!

nah, astbury has turned into a gun lock down defender

Agree. I'm not sold on Bolton either. Does too many stupid things. Add to the above his 100 meter penalty the week before. I almost fell over when they dropped Stack and kept Bolton. Then Stack goes and gets injured running around in the Twos! I'm filthy about that...

i have no idea who id bring in other than cotch

If the Bombers get up I wouldn't mind betting we have a look at Pickett

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

He was beaten! The word is that he was carrying an injury of sorts! Fully fit Kennedy... Arsebury...pfftt!

Kennedy has been poor most of the season. Whether that be injury or old age who knows. Astbury did a number on him though. Played really well did Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

He was beaten! The word is that he was carrying an injury of sorts! Fully fit Kennedy... Arsebury...pfftt!
I think you're selling Astbury a bit short. One of the best key defenders in the comp against one of the best, albeit aging, key forwards. Played him close and took the honours. Claiming injury after the fact just sounds like an excuse.

One thing about Kennedy and Darling. They are both predominately mark and kick players. If they're not marking the ball, they're far less dangerous (unlike JR).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back