• Liam Baker

Votes: 101 57.7%
  • Jack Higgins

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Connor Menadue

Votes: 3 1.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Although I attended the game on Saturday I've only summoned the courage to watch the replay in full last night. All in all, a devastating loss. I put it up there with the Prelim final last year in terms of magnitude. Now on replays you do have the luxury of being able to rewind and examine passages of play so a couple of things stood out. Both games occurred after players had a greater than usual rest period. Saturday's game gave us 10 days to recover which should have had our players primed and ready to go, to me some of them looked flat. The worst performers were players who have played more than 100 games and who you might have expected would be the match winners. Edwards, Martin, Caddy, Lambert, Prestia and Lynch all played poorly, I'd give Martin a pass but that dropped mark when we needed a steadier in the 2nd quarter was criminal. These guys have all played 100 games or more and are the on-field leaders at the moment and should have played as such. In some of the passages of play they looked more rattled than the kids that have come in. Lynch aside, these are all premiership players who have experienced finals type pressure and should have been able to cope with what the Dogs applied and even if the pressure was intense at least give it back instead of standing around waiting for others to do this. The 4 or 5 unanswered goals is the most concerning in that the players mentioned could not impact the contest and with their experience I think it is reasonable to expect that they could. Maybe the hunger is gone for some of them, if so, move over and give someone else a go. Yes we've got injuries but some of the above mentioned players were great against Port Adelaide and Melbourne. I can't accept that the Dogs are any better than either Port or Melbourne after watching them against Carlton and some of their other efforts. Other thing is what do the midfield unit do at training, Nankervis is not a dominant ruckman, do these guys know how to shark the opposition ruckmen's taps, also please put some body on the opposition midfielders from time to time.

out: rioli (quad) vlastuin (ankle) menadue (omitted) ellis (omitted) castagna (omitted)
in: astbury, garthwaite, naish, eggmolesse-smith, collier-dawkins

emg: townsend, turner, coleman-jones

b: broad garthwaite grimes
hb: eggmolesse-smith astbury houli
c: mcintosh stack naish
hf: edwards balta lambert
f: baker lynch caddy
foll: nankervis ross prestia
int: martin, higgins, bolton, collier-dawkins

out: rioli (quad) vlastuin (ankle) menadue (omitted) ellis (omitted) castagna (omitted)
in: astbury, garthwaite, naish, eggmolesse-smith, collier-dawkins

emg: townsend, turner, coleman-jones

b: broad garthwaite grimes
hb: eggmolesse-smith astbury houli
c: mcintosh stack naish
hf: edwards balta lambert
f: baker lynch caddy
foll: nankervis ross prestia
int: martin, higgins, bolton, collier-dawkins
3 debutants & 2 KPDs..Garth should have been in last week in place of Astbury. If Astbury returns we don't need Garth this week. I reckon Naish will be the only debutant. And one of Ellis/Menadue come out. Their 3rd tall, McCarthay is 192. Grimes or Broad can play him.

Last edited:
3 debutants & 2 KPDs..Garth should have been in last week in place of Astbury. If Astbury returns we don't need Garth this week. I reckon Naish will be the only debutant. And one of Ellis/Menadue come out.

we are too short so david and ryan both come in. 3 debutants because ellis menadue and castagna are trash

3 debutants & 2 KPDs..Garth should have been in last week in place of Astbury. If Astbury returns we don't need Garth this week. I reckon Naish will be the only debutant. And one of Ellis/Menadue come out. Their 3rd tall, McCarthay is 192. Grimes or Broad can play him.
Why would you want to drop one our most consistent players for the year?

Although I attended the game on Saturday I've only summoned the courage to watch the replay in full last night. All in all, a devastating loss. I put it up there with the Prelim final last year in terms of magnitude. Now on replays you do have the luxury of being able to rewind and examine passages of play so a couple of things stood out. Both games occurred after players had a greater than usual rest period. Saturday's game gave us 10 days to recover which should have had our players primed and ready to go, to me some of them looked flat. The worst performers were players who have played more than 100 games and who you might have expected would be the match winners. Edwards, Martin, Caddy, Lambert, Prestia and Lynch all played poorly, I'd give Martin a pass but that dropped mark when we needed a steadier in the 2nd quarter was criminal. These guys have all played 100 games or more and are the on-field leaders at the moment and should have played as such. In some of the passages of play they looked more rattled than the kids that have come in. Lynch aside, these are all premiership players who have experienced finals type pressure and should have been able to cope with what the Dogs applied and even if the pressure was intense at least give it back instead of standing around waiting for others to do this. The 4 or 5 unanswered goals is the most concerning in that the players mentioned could not impact the contest and with their experience I think it is reasonable to expect that they could. Maybe the hunger is gone for some of them, if so, move over and give someone else a go. Yes we've got injuries but some of the above mentioned players were great against Port Adelaide and Melbourne. I can't accept that the Dogs are any better than either Port or Melbourne after watching them against Carlton and some of their other efforts. Other thing is what do the midfield unit do at training, Nankervis is not a dominant ruckman, do these guys know how to shark the opposition ruckmen's taps, also please put some body on the opposition midfielders from time to time.
+1...

If Garthwaite is fully fit now and is really seen as the replacement for Rance or Astbury I think he should be playing now regardless if Astbury is in or not. Grimes and Broad are best suited for small-medium size forwards. Broad got torn apart by Naughton on the weekend. We need to pump games into him now while Rance is out.

Since rance has gone down why have we not replaced him with another tall? Can't replace rance but we should be maintaining the same structure.

Used to have rance grimes astbury and broad all as 'talks with grimes and broad very capable of playing smaller.

Why not bring both astbury back and give garth some more games? He will be better with the experience around him. Plus it allows balta to stay forward where he looked dangerous early vs the dogs before being shifted back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since rance has gone down why have we not replaced him with another tall? Can't replace rance but we should be maintaining the same structure.

Used to have rance grimes astbury and broad all as 'talks with grimes and broad very capable of playing smaller.

Why not bring both astbury back and give garth some more games? He will be better with the experience around him. Plus it allows balta to stay forward where he looked dangerous early vs the dogs before being shifted back.

We have had Garth in and tbh our backline is too slow with both Garth and Dave down there. Imo should be one or the other.

We have had Garth in and tbh our backline is too slow with both Garth and Dave down there. Imo should be one or the other.
Has Garth played in the same line up with astbury grimes and broad?

Don't forget he had only just come back from a limited preseason and Achilles injury, playing on Cameron was a hell of a challenge.

Grimesy was suspended for round 3.

Then short got injuredso our backline would've been much slower than normal.
Cameron just ran him up and down and Garth couldn’t go with him mind you I don’t think there’s another forwrd who can do those repeat 200’s as fast as Cameron, he’s really quick.

Because Dimma is now a lover of Chaos Football. Smaller the better.

Back