News Rob McCartney - Head of football

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 11, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Clarko loves the ex-teachers. Surprised he hasn't made Sammy go teach high school for a few years.
Even their team manager is a ex principal.

Rob is a great choice, spent a week around them, including 6 games the last two seasons. Absolutely nice guy, always with Clarko & giving uup suggestions & keeping Clarko calm.

lyger

All Australian
Oct 24, 2010
Source
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Even their team manager is a ex principal.

Rob is a great choice, spent a week around them, including 6 games the last two seasons. Absolutely nice guy, always with Clarko & giving uup suggestions & keeping Clarko calm.
Just from watching that interview and hearing comments about him, I think theres a bit of Fagan about him, and can see him complementing Clarko well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 11, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just from watching that interview and hearing comments about him, I think theres a bit of Fagan about him, and can see him complementing Clarko well.
Last pre-season when Stratts got announced as Capt, they had a press conference, I was behind the banner holding it up & Clarko & Rob were looking down from the coaches box & Clarko yells out don't f*** this up. Rob thought it was funny as. So has a sense of humour. But always would say hello and ask me how I was going at Captains run & gameday in Tassie.

lyger

All Australian
Oct 24, 2010
Source
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Last pre-season when Stratts got announced as Capt, they had a press conference, I was behind the banner holding it up & Clarko & Rob were looking down from the coaches box & Clarko yells out don't f*** this up. Rob thought it was funny as. So has a sense of humour. But always would say hello and ask me how I was going at Captains run & gameday in Tassie.
Thanks for sharing that. Comes across a genuine people’s person. I have a good feeling about about this appointment. Wish him all the best.

LMGjr

Premium Platinum
Jul 25, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Does anyone know who was responsible for what seems like a change of direction, from the outside at least, in our recruiting - in that every player under 190cm looks like they cover the ground faster then all our current mids ?

I like it.

Also, have we got new or more talent scouts, because this is the first time since Clarko took over we have drafted a key position backman, rather then a forward we're going to turn into a backman (which was a dismal failure) ?

I like this "change" as well.

Did Wrights moving on have anything to do the fact that we didn't seem to value pace for quite a long time and the fact we were utterly hopeless at finding a kid fullback or CHB in the draft ? (yeah I know you can only grab whats available but 15 years of total failure in drafting for these positions is pretty bad)

Don't get me wrong, Wright did pretty well in trading, even though we missed some free agents, so this is not a crack at him, just curious if there has been a change in the metrics of what we value in kids.

Remove this Banner Ad