News Rob McCartney - Head of football

Sep 22, 2010
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Roys SFA
McCartney appointed Head of Football…

After a rigorous process chaired by Football Director Richie Vandenberg the Hawthorn Football Club has appointed Rob McCartney as the club’s new Head of Football.

McCartney, who has been acting in the Head of Football role since Graham Wright’s departure, has an impressive resume as both a football administrator and as an educator.

Credit to Rob - but also a bit disappointing we didn't appear to be out there aggressively trying to pry out the best talent elsewhere. Graham Wright would have been one of the highest paid Football Directors going around, so money shouldn't have been an issue.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Credit to Rob - but also a bit disappointing we didn't appear to be out there aggressively trying to pry out the best talent elsewhere. Graham Wright would have been one of the highest paid Football Directors going around, so money shouldn't have been an issue.
Soft cap mate.

So, is there an assumption that if we had pulled a person with profile from another elite sporting organisation, he or she would have been better than someone who has evolved and grown within the HFC?
Which btw, is also an elite sporting organisation.

I think its safe to assume that Rob was the best available otherwise he wouldn't have got the gig.

Sep 22, 2010
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Roys SFA
So, is there an assumption that if we had pulled a person with profile from another elite sporting organisation, he or she would have been better than someone who has evolved and grown within the HFC?

I think its safe to assume that Rob was the best available otherwise he wouldn't have got the gig.
Not so much the 'elite organisation' status, but rather getting someone who has a history of success in this role, and external perspective... including how these roles work in other 'elite organisations' would have been a good starting point.

I don't doubt that it was a merit-based appointment, and that Rob was a strong candidate; but it's also a risky time for our organisation to be the training playground for someone with very limited experience in such a senior role.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not so much the 'elite organisation' status, but rather getting someone who has a history of success in this role, and external perspective... including how these roles work in other 'elite organisations' would have been a good starting point.

I don't doubt that it was a merit-based appointment, and that Rob was a strong candidate; but it's also a risky time for our organisation to be the training playground for someone with very limited experience in such a senior role.
The Patton fiasco his first assignment.

100% was told we were not gonna spend to replace this role.

Also we very much encouraged Wright to explore his options because of his salary impact on our soft cap and felt that he was becoming stale in his role with us.

Sounds like we are doing that with the List Manager position.

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Safe and financially astute selection. Comes with direct experience over the role and most likely a passion/drive to make it his own.

Head hunting can be fools gold and may not replicate from past experience.

Personal preference but I hope our soft cap spend is more weighted to coaching and development and recruiting.

Another with a Teaching Background - I wonder if there'll be a match day role

They called us the family club but it could easily be the chalk board club (I decided not to say Black)

Clarko loves the ex-teachers. Surprised he hasn't made Sammy go teach high school for a few years.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets

Or that the best available were locked in at their current clubs?

Charchi

Team Captain
Mar 16, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Would love to see a HFC organisation chart for before Covid and now, doesn't need to be names just positions.

I can't imagine Clarko reporting to the CEO and board through this position.

Back