News Rob McCartney - Head of football

Remove this Banner Ad

Hang on, wasn't there press yesterday saying Petroro was brought in to help find a new football boss?

F&$k that was quick...
Yeh, haven't seen things happen that quick since his free agents said no to us...

SunshineHawkCal

Team Captain
Feb 11, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Clarko loves the ex-teachers. Surprised he hasn't made Sammy go teach high school for a few years.
Even their team manager is a ex principal.

Rob is a great choice, spent a week around them, including 6 games the last two seasons. Absolutely nice guy, always with Clarko & giving uup suggestions & keeping Clarko calm.

Loving what I’m hearing from him, seems to be focusing his energy in the right areas and heading in the right direction.
Would love to have seen his presentation to the board.

Would love to have seen his presentation to the board.

1613458599440.png

lyger

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2010
Source
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Even their team manager is a ex principal.

Rob is a great choice, spent a week around them, including 6 games the last two seasons. Absolutely nice guy, always with Clarko & giving uup suggestions & keeping Clarko calm.
Just from watching that interview and hearing comments about him, I think theres a bit of Fagan about him, and can see him complementing Clarko well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SunshineHawkCal

Team Captain
Feb 11, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just from watching that interview and hearing comments about him, I think theres a bit of Fagan about him, and can see him complementing Clarko well.
Last pre-season when Stratts got announced as Capt, they had a press conference, I was behind the banner holding it up & Clarko & Rob were looking down from the coaches box & Clarko yells out don't f*** this up. Rob thought it was funny as. So has a sense of humour. But always would say hello and ask me how I was going at Captains run & gameday in Tassie.

lyger

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2010
Source
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Last pre-season when Stratts got announced as Capt, they had a press conference, I was behind the banner holding it up & Clarko & Rob were looking down from the coaches box & Clarko yells out don't f*** this up. Rob thought it was funny as. So has a sense of humour. But always would say hello and ask me how I was going at Captains run & gameday in Tassie.
Thanks for sharing that. Comes across a genuine people’s person. I have a good feeling about about this appointment. Wish him all the best.

Is this a joke? Hard to tell.
I think he is referring to Hawks looking at AYers and Wallace (preferred by many in here) before we went with an unknown Alistair Who?. That worked out alright.

LMGjr

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Does anyone know who was responsible for what seems like a change of direction, from the outside at least, in our recruiting - in that every player under 190cm looks like they cover the ground faster then all our current mids ?

I like it.

Also, have we got new or more talent scouts, because this is the first time since Clarko took over we have drafted a key position backman, rather then a forward we're going to turn into a backman (which was a dismal failure) ?

I like this "change" as well.

Did Wrights moving on have anything to do the fact that we didn't seem to value pace for quite a long time and the fact we were utterly hopeless at finding a kid fullback or CHB in the draft ? (yeah I know you can only grab whats available but 15 years of total failure in drafting for these positions is pretty bad)

Don't get me wrong, Wright did pretty well in trading, even though we missed some free agents, so this is not a crack at him, just curious if there has been a change in the metrics of what we value in kids.

Meantime, the Hawks' list management restructure, that saw Mark McKenzie replace outgoing head of football Graham Wright as the club's list manager, has resulted in an upgrade for Nathan Foley.

Foley, who played 154 games for Richmond across 2005-2014, held the role as the head of the Hawks' Next Generation Academy and has since taken up a position as a recruiting manager under McKenzie. – Mitch Cleary

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Meantime, the Hawks' list management restructure, that saw Mark McKenzie replace outgoing head of football Graham Wright as the club's list manager, has resulted in an upgrade for Nathan Foley.

Foley, who played 154 games for Richmond across 2005-2014, held the role as the head of the Hawks' Next Generation Academy and has since taken up a position as a recruiting manager under McKenzie. – Mitch Cleary
Wow. Didn't see that.
Axel.

Spotted Foley over the summer doing quite a bit of work with the younger guys on the track.
Obviously was previously involved in our NGA so has worked pretty closely identifying and developing talent, so it’s a natural progression I guess.

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
Does anyone know who was responsible for what seems like a change of direction, from the outside at least, in our recruiting - in that every player under 190cm looks like they cover the ground faster then all our current mids ?

I like it.

Also, have we got new or more talent scouts, because this is the first time since Clarko took over we have drafted a key position backman, rather then a forward we're going to turn into a backman (which was a dismal failure) ?

I like this "change" as well.

Did Wrights moving on have anything to do the fact that we didn't seem to value pace for quite a long time and the fact we were utterly hopeless at finding a kid fullback or CHB in the draft ? (yeah I know you can only grab whats available but 15 years of total failure in drafting for these positions is pretty bad)

Don't get me wrong, Wright did pretty well in trading, even though we missed some free agents, so this is not a crack at him, just curious if there has been a change in the metrics of what we value in kids.

Never sure who to reward or blame for drafts but think our drafting team in general has lived off the coat tales of the Hodge/Mitchell//Brown/Ladson and Rough/Budd/Lewis drafts. We have been pretty middle of the road for many others since then with the odd find but many, many misses.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Never sure who to reward or blame for drafts but think our drafting team in general has lived off the coat tales of the Hodge/Mitchell//Brown/Ladson and Rough/Budd/Lewis drafts. We have been pretty middle of the road for many others since then with the odd find but many, many misses.
Irony is that Brown and Laddo were only there for the 2008 flag, and Bud missed the 2014/15 ones.

You're also leaving out stars like Rioli and Birchall who were drafted 06/07. And then later picks like Hill, Shiels, Breust, Smith, Poppy, Stratton who were all 3 timers. Even Langford, Schoenmakers, Duryea, Suckling were later picks who ended up with flags. Ellis with one as a top 3 pick.

Prior to that, Bateman, Sewell, Willo, Campbell, Gilham, Guerra, Renouf were later picks/ rookies that ended up with medals.

Crawf a 1st rounder ions ago. Croad a top 3 pick, then traded back obviously.

Not an exact science.

LMGjr

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It's not about blame or even reward anymore - it's about now. We are here now, the past is irrelevant to this now - how did we "snap" out of it?

This is like the Chief moment - when Dunstall decided to get involved it turned the whole club around. As a club we've proved time and again that when it matters we get the most important thing right - our people. Time will tell if we have again, but there have been changes that are not being given time to take affect, or due consideration, when analyzing this now, over and over and over from the past points of view of many.

Foley - another new now, that isn't taken into consideration yet, how can it be? Except from the point of view that something has changed - the pivot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back