Sydneyfan

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2000
Brisbanópolis
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S’roos, Brisbane Lions, N Syd Bears
Robbie AhMat and John Stevens have been delisted from the Swans list for season 2002.

It's a bit of a shame to see these guys go but I guess neither really set the world on fire in 2001. John Stevens was a good player but probably had seen the best of his career in 1998-99, Robbie was an excitement machine but didn't really do too much this year. It sounds like Robbie could well be picked by the Crows for next season.

On other news, I've heard that the Tasmanian VFL side are extremely keen to pick up Gerrard Bennett in their squad, I wish Gerrard all the best, a very good season in the VFL could well see other AFL clubs interested in giving him another shot at the big time.

Robbie really struggled to get any kind of form going after that debacle against Essendon in Round 4 (same for the whole team really :( )

Then it appeared he had a bit of a brain explosion and went absent from the club for a while. Then he played out the rest of the season in the VFL without making much headway.

His delisting was inevitable I think.

Johnny - I feel he may have been a little hard done by, at 29 he is by no means the oldest in the squad, but during 2001 he had neither pace, nor endurance, nor did he kick any goals. I agree with you Sydneyfan, his best is behind him.

I understand he is not Happy Jan about the whole situation though.

Really hope Gerard Bennett kicks some major ass in the VFL, I was not happy to see him go because he is a big strong lad who just needs to polish his skills a bit. I hope like hell we don't miss him, but just at the moment our big man stocks are a little thin.

Same goes for Simon Feast, hope he goes back and wins a flag for Sturt in the SANFL and picks up a Magarey medal along the way - that would stick it up the Swans selectors wouldn't it ?

Just on personnel - have you heard the rumour George Stone may take up an Assistants position at Hawthorn next year ?

While I would be disappointed to see him go, it opens up a vacancy for Damian Drum to come back home.

What do ya reckon ?

Disappointed to see Bennett go too, I thought he showed something for us this year. Feast, I thought might have survived given the loss of Stafford, but he has struggled to be honest.

John Stevens: I don't think the Swans need a poorly skilled, one sided midfielder. He always got plenty of the ball, but what he did with it was a major concern. Did provide the funniest moment of the year though, when he couldn't get out of the way of the Paul Williams long bomb that hit him on the back in the goal square.

Robbie Ahmat: as BSA ays, an inevitable delisting.

BSA - Yeah, I heard that the Hawks were keen on George Stone, he's been a very astute coach for us over the last few years. It'd be good for Drummy if he was able to come back to Sydney in an assistant coaching position, would hopefully do a world of wonders for his confidence which would have to be low at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back