Toast Robbie Gray announces his retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

For as gun of a player he was, he never really got the respects from the umps in terms of Brownlow votes. There was one year, I think it was 2014 or 16 and everyone thought he was the Brownlow favourite and he finished no where near it. His highest number of votes is 19 and in his 16 year career has only polled double figures FIVE times...that's wild for a player of his caliber.
His 2014 is probably the best year I've seen from a Port player, should've won the brownlow by a street.

For as gun of a player he was, he never really got the respects from the umps in terms of Brownlow votes. There was one year, I think it was 2014 or 16 and everyone thought he was the Brownlow favourite and he finished no where near it. His highest number of votes is 19 and in his 16 year career has only polled double figures FIVE times...that's wild for a player of his caliber.
There's consistent and great players that get you in contention to win games, and there's clutch players who win them for you. (Some are both of course)
Brownlow chance = former, R Gray = latter.

What would be your top 10 or 20? Just curious. Thought Kane Cornes would warrant a mention in these kinds of lists as a 300 gamer.
AFL Era

Tredrea
Robbie
Wanganeen
Chad
Lade
Peter Burgoyne
Primus
Francou
James
Wilson
Wakelin
Carr
Pickett
Montgomery
Shaun Burgoyne
Hardwick

Ok 15. I'll meet you half way. Although I could probably put in Darren Mead and Nick Stevens too.

I rate all these players higher than Kane Cornes. Selfish seagull.

Geeze there are some good players retiring this year. Robbie Gray was one of those players I hated to love. Always exciting around the ball and a constant threat when we played against him.

Sad to see him go.

Star. Fantastic player. Magnificent career. Thanks for the memories, Robbie Gray.

I can barely think of a better player outside the small few who reside on Mount Olympus.

Skilled, clutch, predictably reliable for a looong time. At a big Vic club, well, the media would have mugged him several times over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its a shame he is/was a port player. didn't really appreciate him cos of the hate i have for port and its players etc glad i dont have to watch him rip the crows apart anymore.. although put him down for 4 goals this week and the medal. this is a game the crows cant win now.

Absolute champion of the game.

His 2014 was just phenomenal ave 25 disposals and 1.7 goals a game. That’s on par with the best we’ve seen from Martin, Ablett, Petracca etc.

622 disposals and 42 goals in a year. Incredible.

I’d have him as Ports second best in the AFL era behind Tredrea. A true talent.

Great player during his best years. Unfortunately the black and teal couldn't get up for a premiership during his time.

Great player during his best years. Unfortunately the black and teal couldn't get up for a premiership during his time.

Blame Hinkley. Ironically, more than any other play Robbie has kept Ken in a job with the number of games he won off his own boot.

Should be mentioned that in 2014 he did win the coaches MVP award and had a good claim to being the best player in the comp. As usual the dullard umps had no idea though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back