Toast Robbie Gray announces his retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolute gun, as good a player as Iā€™ve seen represent Port Adelaide. All class.

Whether you think heā€™s a flog or not is another thing, but by geez thereā€™s some underrating of Kane Cornes as a player on here.

He was a tagger with the ability to stat rack there was no x-factor or class which the very elite have.
Wasnā€™t always a just a dour tagger. Won 4-5 B&Fā€™s, multiple All-Australian etc.

I agree heā€™s no superstar, but heā€™s a much better player than heā€™s getting credit for.

Brilliant player, magnificent competitor. Played it fair and classy, and just about always found a way to terrorise my team. Even when we were at the top of our game, if I looked at the team sheets and saw "R. Gray" in the Port team I knew we were probably less than 50-50 to come away with the points.

Ornament to the game, and will be greatly missed by all lovers of footy.

It feels like just yesterday that he was being put on on a pedestal by the media as the next legendary player. I always enjoyed watching him play and regret not seeing more of his games. Whilst he was capable and executed brilliance on the field, he came across as humble in a sincere way.

Why is he retiring now? Seems a bit sudden. Does his form not warrant him to go on?
He's well past it, his time has definitely come and no his form barely warrants being selected at all.

Nevertheless he has well and truly earned a farewell game, an absolute legend of Port Adelaide and one of my favourite players ever. It's just not going to be the same without him. One of my favourite memories of which there are countless is the four goals he kicked against Essendon in his 3rd game. The first goal in this video you could see straight away this kid was going to be something very special and had that rare ability to be two steps ahead of anyone else around him.
What a steal at pick 55 too, just quietly....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasnā€™t always a just a dour tagger. Won 4-5 B&Fā€™s, multiple All-Australian etc.

I agree heā€™s no superstar, but heā€™s a much better player than heā€™s getting credit for.
Kane was the reason we changed the way the B&F is calculated.

He was a good player with longevity, I'm sure you have had examples of that at the Dogs but it wouldn't sit them at Bonts table.

Terrific footballer and I enjoyed watching him over the years, even when he was giving us a lot of trouble. All the best to him.

Thanks Robbie, you deserved more team accolades to go with the personal ones.
Will always be a great of our club.

* you Collingwood for not allowing him to wear the prison bars in his final game.
What type of message are we sending the kids out there talking about the want for 'prison bars'?
It may be of comfort to the kids of Port, but not the rest of the country.

I think it's great he gets to play in the same colours he has in his whole career. Don't ruin it for him.

Blame Hinkley. Ironically, more than any other play Robbie has kept Ken in a job with the number of games he won off his own boot.

Should be mentioned that in 2014 he did win the coaches MVP award and had a good claim to being the best player in the comp. As usual the dullard umps had no idea though.
I agree he should have been right up there for the Brownlow. How he wasn't even in the top 10 was ridiculous.

What type of message are we sending the kids out there talking about the want for 'prison bars'?
It may be of comfort to the kids of Port, but not the rest of the country.

I think it's great he gets to play in the same colours he has in his whole career. Don't ruin it for him.
Don't be a moby this isn't the thread for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back