Universal Love Robbie Gray appreciation thread

Yesterday on SEN Andy Maher asked Boomer Harvey which of Cyril and Robbie Gray he’d take if he could only pick one.

Yet again, the fact that the comparison is even being made is insulting.

Tredders showing appreciation for Robbie in his Thursday column.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...r/news-story/71a5e673322df24bb2ae1227b7df4adc
IT’S time Port Adelaide stood up instead of always relying on Robbie Gray. That’s my message to the Power players after last week’s terrible nine-point loss to the low-on-confidence but tenacious Fremantle Dockers. Sure, the Power were restricted with only 19 fit players, with Gray (concussion) and Paddy Ryder (hip flexor) out of the game and young gun Riley Bonner forced to play on with a crook knee. But if ever they needed a line-in-the-sand moment, it was last Sunday. After ugly wins against Carlton and St Kilda, it looked like Port had turned the corner when it came to claiming a professional four-point win against a lowly opponent. And while Sunday’s game started off well, with Port owning the ball and winning the first-quarter clearances 18-2, they once again failed to hit the scoreboard and left the door ajar for a Fremantle comeback. Scoring has become a huge problem at Alberton.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...r/news-story/71a5e673322df24bb2ae1227b7df4adc

Talks about our shitty kicking which I put in the Can't Kick Can't Play Football Thread. No Gray, no one else stood up to change the game like Robbie has done many times in the past.

Over the past four years when Port was in a pickle, Robbie Gray was the man to get them out of it. Whether he was moved into the midfield to win clearances or pushed forward to kick a vital goal, he’s been Ken Hinkley’s go-to guy to get them out of jail. I don’t need to remind Crows fans of what he did in the round eight Showdown — Gray gathered 20 disposals and kicked six goals, single-handedly ripping the game out of Adelaide’s hands in a best-afield performance. On Sunday for the first time this year, through concussion, Gray couldn’t swing the game Port’s way — and bar Chad Wingard, who won 24 disposals and kicked two goals, there were too few players willing to get their knees dirty and play life-and-death football to turn the game.

Talks about Freo missing players and Port dominating early in both Freo and Hawks game and then blowing it. Then says Gray has turned games for us countless times and has a dig at senior players to stand up when it counts. He doesn't name them but I will - Boak, Wines, Ebert, Wingard, Rocky, Polec, Watts, Motlop, Dixon, Wingard. Time these goals delivered big time all at once against big opponents.

With Ryder missing through injury and Justin Westhoff and Charlie Dixon having to cover in his absence, Port’s structure is set to take a hit. Robbie Gray is also no certainty to play as he’ll have to prove he’s fully recovered from his heavy concussion. Gone are the days of players being able to con doctors that they are OK, he’ll have to be 100-per-cent fit. It’s a now-or-never moment for Port. Win against GWS and they’ll retain a valuable buffer over the chasing pack and stay in touch with the top four. Lose, and they get absorbed by the teams vying for the eight. I’ve lost count of the number of times that Robbie Gray has turned a game off his own boot for Port. It’s about time the Power’s senior players started consistently delivering in games where a win is a must.

This week Port must win, with the four points worth their weight in gold. Port can’t keep relying on Robbie Gray. It’s about time others stood up, no longer leaving it to the little master to get the job done. If you want to be great like Gray, you have to want to be the man in the moment.

Last edited:

mic59

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 20, 2002
Alberton, the chosen land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Blyth Spartans, Dallas Cowboys
Yesterday on SEN Andy Maher asked Boomer Harvey which of Cyril and Robbie Gray he’d take if he could only pick one.
“I’m taking Robbie Gray. Genuine superstar. If he played for Collingwood he’d be universally recognised as the superstar he is”.

Comparisons like this are ridiculous anyway. Football's a team game and selection has to be based on everyone at your disposal.

Comparisons like this are ridiculous anyway. Football's a team game and selection has to be based on everyone at your disposal.
How are they ridiculous? Footy is about comparisons. How many times have you been in room with a footballer and the MC like Baz Curtain or member of audience asks, who is your toughest oppenent? who is the best player you have seen? who is the best player you have played with? what was you best game? What is the highlight of your career? They are all comparisons.

Harlott

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Tredders showing appreciation for Robbie in his Thursday column.

IT’S time Port Adelaide stood up instead of always relying on Robbie Gray. That’s my message to the Power players after last week’s terrible nine-point loss to the low-on-confidence but tenacious Fremantle Dockers. Sure, the Power were restricted with only 19 fit players, with Gray (concussion) and Paddy Ryder (hip flexor) out of the game and young gun Riley Bonner forced to play on with a crook knee. But if ever they needed a line-in-the-sand moment, it was last Sunday. After ugly wins against Carlton and St Kilda, it looked like Port had turned the corner when it came to claiming a professional four-point win against a lowly opponent. And while Sunday’s game started off well, with Port owning the ball and winning the first-quarter clearances 18-2, they once again failed to hit the scoreboard and left the door ajar for a Fremantle comeback. Scoring has become a huge problem at Alberton.

Talks about our shitty kicking which I put in the Can't Kick Can't Play Football Thread. No Gray, no one else stood up to change the game like Robbie has done many times in the past.

Talks about Freo missing players and Port dominating early in both Freo and Hawks game and then blowing it. Then says Gray has turned games for us countless times and has a dig at senior players to stand up when it counts. He doesn't name them but I will - Boak, Wines, Ebert, Wingard, Rocky, Polec, Watts, Motlop, Dixon, Wingard. Time these goals delivered big time all at once against big opponents.
Totally agree with all those names you mentioned.

Back