News Robbie Gray in recruiting and list management role

jakey

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
We picked up Boak, Paul Stewart and Krak before Robbie in his draft year. Crows took Sellar, Tippett and Mackay. Boaky the only player fit to mention in the same paragraph.

Not sure there's a player I'll miss more. Gav retiring was tough. So was Warren. This hurts more though. Glad tonight at least he got the send-off he deserved and he's retired at the right moment for his body.

He led the TAC Cup goalkicking in his draft year so its not like he struggled to find it. But, he was essentially a very short full forward at that stage who from memory didnt get much/any midfield time and was considered limited because of it.

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
We picked up Boak, Paul Stewart and Krak before Robbie in his draft year. Crows took Sellar, Tippett and Mackay. Boaky the only player fit to mention in the same paragraph.

Not sure there's a player I'll miss more. Gav retiring was tough. So was Warren. This hurts more though. Glad tonight at least he got the send-off he deserved and he's retired at the right moment for his body.
Sellar! 🤣

1661025167939.png

Think this is my first ever post on another teams board but if not it's not something I'd do very often.

As a StKilda supporter Robbie Gray was right up there with my favourite ever players. A gun player who was also such a decent bloke. My sons and I were at the Adelaide oval the night Paddy knocked it down his throat but he still had to finish it off. Of course he did. Never in doubt. We didn't know whether to cry or laugh. Of course it was Robbie doing it to us. As we walked out the gates that night we laughed and talked about it with the Port supporters. Just the magic of two great players. The ups and downs and joy of footy.

Anyway just thought I'd let you know that he was was well loved across the competition. The send off you gave him was first class. You're a great club.

Will be dearly missed, the best PAFC AFL player in my eyes. Shed a few tears post match not gonna lie. Champion player and seemingly a fantastic bloke too. Not many in general I could put above him given the recovery from both an ACL and testicular cancer. Obviously robbed of the Charlie in 2014 too. Thought it'd be worth sharing a piece I made after the Carlton goal, not a style I try very often but I'm glad it stands out in my Instagram feed, he deserves it.
109264608_2693082717647766_5233990756699412518_n.jpg

Hinkley said in the presser Robbie will stay involved with the club. Robbie said he is interested in recruiting and list management.

NickFlips

Club Legend
Mar 26, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I believe there should also be a quiet shoutout to Josh Mahoney. From what I remember took a young Robbie under his wing and essentially mentored him to a point where Gray took Mahoney's spot in the team.

Robbie then continuing the lineage through Butters gives me the warm and fuzzies.

What a special night that was. Coaches, board members, presidents, will come and go but the memories of watching Robbie for the last 15+ years, and being there to farewell him, will be around long after that. Watching him walk out to the centre of the oval and acknowledge the fans from the northern end and out to the wings, and hearing the 'Robbie' chant was so emotional and I just wanted to take in everything that was going on around me. The number of supporters who stayed on was amazing. That last chance for a shot on goal that he gave off was actually perfect. It just epitomised his sportsmanship and team first attitude. We are so lucky to have him.

Jojay

PISS BLASTERS "RS"
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hinkley said in the presser Robbie will stay involved with the club. Robbie said he is interested in recruiting and list management.
Where did he say that? All I can find is Hinkley saying there would be a spot for Robbie if he wants it.

Port 2004

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2012
Bellevue Heighta
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Think this is my first ever post on another teams board but if not it's not something I'd do very often.

As a StKilda supporter Robbie Gray was right up there with my favourite ever players. A gun player who was also such a decent bloke. My sons and I were at the Adelaide oval the night Paddy knocked it down his throat but he still had to finish it off. Of course he did. Never in doubt. We didn't know whether to cry or laugh. Of course it was Robbie doing it to us. As we walked out the gates that night we laughed and talked about it with the Port supporters. Just the magic of two great players. The ups and downs and joy of footy.

Anyway just thought I'd let you know that he was was well loved across the competition. The send off you gave him was first class. You're a great club.
Beautiful words.

Back