Traded Robbie Tarrant [traded to Richmond for CCJ + other stuff]

Remove this Banner Ad

NORTH Melbourne veteran Robbie Tarrant has told the Roos he wants to leave and chase a premiership at Richmond.

As revealed by AFL.com.au on Friday, the Tigers have offered the 32-year-old a two-year deal to join from next season.

Tarrant will be free to walk to the Tigers from October 1 given he qualifies as an unrestricted free agent.

The Roos initially tabled their former vice-captain a one-year deal before upping the offer to two years in recent days.

However, that delay allowed Tarrant to consider a move to another club for the first time in his career which he settled on Saturday morning.

Well it is different.

Most of the players are 4 years older and Rance, Astbury and Houli have all retired.

Richmond are 50/50 to make finals next year imo. Midfield is fairly cooked. Edwards (33) and Cotchin (32) have already started slowing down. Theres likely to be about 7 players over 30 in your best 22 next year still.

Strange how Robbie wanted to leave north

Where?

Why would he leave North for the same money? (I'm following the Richmond thinktank with regards to CCJ here)

With respect I thought this would be obvious.

Where was that? I have seen or heard any mention of money. Would be good to get a vague indication of whether there is any compo coming.

Not sure I've been reading a lot about tarrant recently - will try find

With respect I thought this would be obvious.

With respect. It's not.

I'm curious?

Apparently most of the Richmond BF board are under the assumption CCJ is a mercenary on a 300% pay increase, but Tarrant has taken a pay cut to come to Richmond.

Incredible culture you have there or a fairly illiterate supporter base...

With respect. It's not.

I'm curious?

Apparently most of the Richmond BF board are under the assumption CCJ is a mercenary on a 300% pay increase, but Tarrant has taken a pay cut to come to Richmond.

Incredible culture you have there or a fairly illiterate supporter base...

Due to Tarrant being old, north being the bottom team and having been down for a while.

Richmond 3/4 most recent flags with astbury/Rance holes

I had not read the tigers board for a while prior today but the culture does seem very good

Well it is different.

Most of the players are 4 years older and Rance, Astbury and Houli have all retired.

Richmond are 50/50 to make finals next year imo. Midfield is fairly cooked. Edwards (33) and Cotchin (32) have already started slowing down. Theres likely to be about 7 players over 30 in your best 22 next year still.
We'll have some key players over 30, but we'll make finals. There's a hell of a lot of quality that missed games in 2021, for large parts our defence or midfield or ruck division was all pretty ravaged with injury.

The team and coaching staff were physically and mentally cooked though, and a refresh and some new voices over the summer should see us top 6 again IMO

Not really.

Money talks.
Tarrant would be coming off his big contract years, not into them. Look at the list positions and likely contract positions of the two teams, Tarrant isn't coming to Richmond for a payrise, he's coming for a last ditch chance at a flag. Doesn't mean it will happen, but for his last 2 years it's his best shot of the opportunities available to him, that would have been the Richmond pitch. It wouldn't have been come get $100k a year more....

Guys his age do not walk to better clubs for a twilight payrise.

Tarrant would be coming off his big contract years, not into them. Look at the list positions and likely contract positions of the two teams, Tarrant isn't coming to Richmond for a payrise, he's coming for a last ditch chance at a flag. Doesn't mean it will happen, but for his last 2 years it's his best shot of the opportunities available to him, that would have been the Richmond pitch. It wouldn't have been come get $100k a year more....

Guys his age do not walk to better clubs for a twilight payrise.
Richmond finished 12th, it's not like they got knocked out in a prelim. If he wanted to take a pay cut and go for a flag then the Dogs would've no doubt picked him up.

Literally no one on Bigfooty would know what contract Tarrant is on, but it's highly unlikely that he would take a cut to move from the team that has stuck with him through the years to go to the 12th place side.

Far more likely that Richmond took the money they were planning to spend on Astbury and gave Robbie a pay bump with the security of a 2 year deal to get him over the line.

Richmond are a "12th placed side" that won 3 of the last 4 flags and won 18 games in the year they didn't.

They had a poor year but Lynch missed 4, Cotchin 5, Martin Edwards Nank 6, Broad Balta 8, Vlasutin 10, Prestia 13 etc. plus Astbury just retired. Richmond, WC and St Kilda are the 3 teams that given the experience on the list underperformed the most in 2021.

Whether or not it's realistic or not Richmond clearly think they are a shot at the 2022 flag, perhaps 2023. Someone like Tarrant moving at age 32 is pretty understandable. He might win a flag with the Tigers, he would not with North unless he played on to 35+.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond finished 12th, it's not like they got knocked out in a prelim. If he wanted to take a pay cut and go for a flag then the Dogs would've no doubt picked him up.

Literally no one on Bigfooty would know what contract Tarrant is on, but it's highly unlikely that he would take a cut to move from the team that has stuck with him through the years to go to the 12th place side.

Far more likely that Richmond took the money they were planning to spend on Astbury and gave Robbie a pay bump with the security of a 2 year deal to get him over the line.
We might have finished 12th this year, but the salary cap and contract positions are that of a multiple flag winning list and we don't have a heap of room that wasn't or isn't needed to pay that list.

I reckon Tarrant will be offered 2x300-350k per year. Not sure what he was on at North and where that would fit.

Where?

Why would he leave North for the same money? (I'm following the Richmond thinktank with regards to CCJ here)

Because he regrets wasting his life and career at Nth, and he wants to win a flag, so he left even though the money and terms were the same.

Bit like what Lake did when he went to Hawthorn From the Bulldogs

This by the way is the opposite of what CCJ did, he left Richmond, for more money and a longer contract. He realized he wasn’t good enough to get a game at Richmond, but he was good enough to play at Nth, that’s why Nth gave him a 4 year deal, and Richmond only offered him 2.

For CCJ, getting games and getting paid is more important than winning.

We might have finished 12th this year, but the salary cap and contract positions are that of a multiple flag winning list and we don't have a heap of room that wasn't or isn't needed to pay that list.

I reckon Tarrant will be offered 2x300-350k per year. Not sure what he was on at North and where that would fit.
Just because you have minimal cap space and North have plenty doesn't automatically mean the North offer was more though.

We have seen with Brown and Higgins that veterans aren't guaranteed big money extensions at NM anymore and this likely happened with Robbie.

But again, no one here would know the exact figures, you may reckon 300-350k and I may reckon 500-550k. At the end of the day only the managers and players would know the truth.

Incredible that north would lowball a loyal champion of their club then when they worked out he was looking to leave they upped their offer but by that time it was too late.

Poor list management kangas.

Welcome to Tigerland Robbie!

Last edited:
Because he regrets wasting his life and career at Nth, and he wants to win a flag, so he left even though the money and terms were the same.

This by the way is the opposite of what CCJ did, he left Richmond, for more money and a longer contract. He realized he wasn’t good enough to get a game at Richmond, but he was good enough to play at Nth, that’s why Nth gave him a 4 year deal, and Richmond only offered him 2.

you cant win if your not in the team

Just because you have minimal cap space and North have plenty doesn't automatically mean the North offer was more though.

We have seen with Brown and Higgins that veterans aren't guaranteed big money extensions at NM anymore and this likely happened with Robbie.

But again, no one here would know the exact figures, you may reckon 300-350k and I may reckon 500-550k. At the end of the day only the managers and players would know the truth.

I doubt he would be on that much unless it was base + massive match payments so if he plays every game he and the Tigs win the deal.

I would say he knows he has 2 years left. Roos may make finals in that time, Tigs may win a flag. He wants a flag.

I dont think its money driven. But also I dont think he is taking unders. He just wants a shot at a flag.

I wouldn't compare Lake's situation to Tarrant.

Lake's situation is more comparable to Lynch's who came after 1 flag and ended up winning 2 themselves.

I think Robbie has missed the Richmond boat unfortunately, as I said, they are probably 50/50 for finals. They aren't in Melbourne or the Dogs or even Ports class moving forward imo. Melbourne and the Dogs are only getting better also where as Richmonds best players are coming to the end....

Last edited:

Wouldn't he just be getting whatever Richmond had allowed for Astbury? Whatever that was. Your numbers wouldn't be close to to getting Band 5 compo but they look very low compared to the reported $400-450K Hewitt is moving for (which admittedly sounds insanely high for him).

Surprised Tarrant didn’t wait to see if the Dogs would offer more. He’d fill a need there.

Anyway great get for Richmond Tarrant is much better than Talia who has no offensive presence.

I'd laugh if after all the Richmond supporters trolling us over this, we actually netted a PP because of it.

Brown, Higgins, Tarrant all lost in a 12 month period to 2 x top 4 clubs and a bottom 7 club..... AFL needs to step in imo to stop the exodus 😉

I'd laugh if you were given a charity draft pick too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back