Robbo and his insensitive tweet, or "Poor choice of words"

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know, I only see him now and then on AFL360. I am just talking about this incident and the calls to end him due to what he said.
I'm not a supporter of digital lynch mobs either, but surely you realize those calling for his sacking are doing so based off multiple incidents, years of biased and shoddy journalism etc. Things don't happen in a vacuum. If it was someone like Gerard who posted the tweet the reaction would have been far more moderate without a doubt. FWIW I don't think he should lose his livelyhood over something like this, as idiotic and poorly timed as it was. But I do think he should have lost it a long time ago due to generally being very poor at what he does. But hey, whether or not a stranger called Mark Robinson has a job or not is so low on my priorities that I really couldn't care less.

As another poster mentioned .... plenty of irony in this thread.
The lynch mob out in force tonight.
Baying for blood for the hack
Hopeless sun journo for an outrageous
Insensitive Tweet.

You could make a case that the bile and hate directed toward him from plenty on here is worse than his inappropriate words.

It's his hypocrisy that makes the reaction so strong. He and his sanctimonious partner have delighted in lecturing us from the 360 pulpit on homophobia, racism and sexism every time a player or footy official misspoke, joked or made a crass remark. He pointed the finger at Eddie on more than one occasion when he made a gaff and he accused all of those who booed Goodes of racism. Whenever a self righteous hypocrite lectures others you can be sure they will pounce upon the hypocrite with glee when he puts his foot in his mouth, Can you blame them?

Last edited:

It is immensely enjoyable watching a dirty scribe frying in the spotlight, especially considering he has courted this spotlight by attaching himself like a leech to the real stars of the show.

Footy scribes are one of the lowest forms of humanity. Slobbo is finding out the hard way that nobody barracks for the scribes - they are a reviled part of the footy industry who are barely tolerated by the general public. Why these slugs have any profile to begin with is mystifying, but when they self-combust as effectively as Slobbo has done today it is very enjoyable to see this completely undeserved profile work spectacularly against them.

Last edited:
I'm not a supporter of digital lynch mobs either, but surely you realize those calling for his sacking are doing so based off multiple incidents, years of biased and shoddy journalism etc. Things don't happen in a vacuum. If it was someone like Gerard who posted the tweet the reaction would have been far more moderate without a doubt. FWIW I don't think he should lose his livelyhood over something like this, as idiotic and poorly timed as it was. But I do think he should have lost it a long time ago due to generally being very poor at what he does. But hey, whether or not a stranger called Mark Robinson has a job or not is so low on my priorities that I really couldn't care less.

As I said I am not a huge fan, I can understand why people don't like various journalists, however, they seem to be popular with employers due to their ability to get people to watch/listen/read them no matter how polarising their opinions they express are. Best thing you can do if you don't like them is vote with your ratings.

I do feel that people are using this as an excuse to go after him because they don't like his football opinions, not solely on the merits of what he has said this time. I think generally when you stuff up with words then you can be redeemed, no matter how stupid the words are that have been uttered. They are just words, even if they hurt or offend.

I'd be all for his employer's reviewing his employment based on the merits of what he does as a professional journalists, but I fear people would be in a rude shock about that, his employer would care more about clicks and ratings than the quality of what he produces.

Would be a shame for his career to end all over a nothing player
First of all, wouldn't be a huge shame. Second of all, bit harsh to call Faz a 'nothing' player. No superstar, but has an impressive bag of tricks and can be lethal on his day. If he puts it all together he'll be a very good player. I'm optimistic that he'll get there.

A little classless from you to take this opportunity to stick your boots into him about his playing ability.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First of all, wouldn't be a huge shame. Second of all, bit harsh to call Faz a 'nothing' player. No superstar, but has an impressive bag of tricks and can be lethal on his day. If he puts it all together he'll be a very good player. I'm optimistic that he'll get there.

Fair call but he's just another Caddy/Smedts/Kersten nothing player to me. There's enough of them in the league as it is and they water it down. I lament that across our whole nation we can only bring up 5 or so truly good players a season. There should be at least 1 Dangerfield on every line in every side. The talent is so lacking thanks to players like Fasolo and Cunningham that some sides don't even have rucks or forwards.. and this is supposed to be a national competition.

Robbo's week went like this:

Editor: Robbo you arseclown, get in here.

Robbo: Be there in a jif sir

Editor: GET IN HERE NOW!!!

(Robbo runs into editor's office)

Robbo: Yes sir, what's up?

Editor: Robbo, you haven't outraged anyone this week. How the hell can we sell papers if you don't outrage people???

Robbo: But you're outraged sir

Editor: Yeah I guess you're right (chuckles)... You'll make editor one day son! Be off with you.

Del Santo talking last night and made the comment"all modern day players check with social media straight after a game and look at the good and bad things people say about them on social media and definitely take it to heart"
Mark McClure replied, "they can turn it off or not bother being on it at all".

Bingo.

I wish I had a Twitter, Googlegram and Instachatsnap account and broadcast every moment of my life on 20 different internet sites but unfortunately I'm not an attention-starved 13 year old who lives with my parents and shops at Sportsgirl and uses words like 'selfie' and 'my bad'

try suffering from periods of depression or anxiety or see a loved one go through it
I have seen a family member go through it thanks

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

As I said I am not a huge fan, I can understand why people don't like various journalists, however, they seem to be popular with employers due to their ability to get people to watch/listen/read them no matter how polarising their opinions they express are. Best thing you can do if you don't like them is vote with your ratings.

I do feel that people are using this as an excuse to go after him because they don't like his football opinions, not solely on the merits of what he has said this time. I think generally when you stuff up with words then you can be redeemed, no matter how stupid the words are that have been uttered. They are just words, even if they hurt or offend.

I'd be all for his employer's reviewing his employment based on the merits of what he does as a professional journalists, but I fear people would be in a rude shock about that, his employer would care more about clicks and ratings than the quality of what he produces.

I think that says a lot about journalism these days, that they can't be held accountable for their body of work (in the same way we would constructively argue players out of form should be dropped) because if he was, without doubt, no longer hold the positions he does.

People shouldn't be witchhunted out of jobs for a single mistake, but with the effect media and the news as a whole has these days, I sure hopes he takes more accountability than a couple of contrived apologies on twitter and radio.

Robbo's a twit and flies off the handle occasionally but he's accepted responsibility and apologised...

The whole Liam Pickering inspired 'fire him now!' hysteria is a bit silly.

Would be a shame for his career to end all over a nothing player
I generally try not to get personal on BF but here's a comment for you. You are a thoughtless, callous moron without a shred of decency in your body. I can't even believe what I just read. It's people like you who make people like Slobbo look almost human.

Fair call but he's just another Caddy/Smedts/Kersten nothing player to me. There's enough of them in the league as it is and they water it down. I lament that across our whole nation we can only bring up 5 or so truly good players a season. There should be at least 1 Dangerfield on every line in every side. The talent is so lacking thanks to players like Fasolo and Cunningham that some sides don't even have rucks or forwards.. and this is supposed to be a national competition.
Just shut up. This has nothing to do with player ability. I assume that you took a different view when Franklin was despressed. What kid of person are you?

I propose this wouldn't have been tweeted if Fasolo played for any other club. Robinsons open dislike of our club has been evident for ages as has his cheap use of collingwoods "love hate" profile to land a lazy headline. The club still awaits the disclosure of the other 10 of the 11 clubs involved in the now evaporated recreational drug story he ran last year. He chose to just name Pies and name the rest later. Of course it never happened. His relationship with Buckley on 360 last year was toxic and clearly Buckley was quite happy to show him zero respect for his knowledge of the game. He attacks whenever he can and obviously his eyes lit up yesterday and he went for Faz's throat. To suggest it was a "poor choice of words" is just as offensive. The intent was clear. I have no expectation that a media org like the HUN would sack him. They would be rubbing their hands at the response.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back